There are 189 users in the forums

OFFICIAL: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs ?????? / March 13, 2010 @ MGM

Originally posted by Fhysical:
If it's Mayweather vs Mosley, Mayweather better ask for the same testing for Mosley that he asked for Pacquiao. Mosley is the known PED user so he should be held to even higher standards than any other boxer. If Mayweather doesn't ask for "Olympic style" testing, well....

First reports from Ellerbe are that he will "champion for change" for random blood testing.

In another interview, Mosley questioned Pacquiao, calling him suspicious. The IRONY.
Quote:

You and I both damn well know there was no way in hell Mayweather was NOT going to ask for random blood tests here on out. Was it because he was a Champion for change for integrity in the sport? f**k no, it'd because he'd be viewed as a hypocritical son of a b***h if he didn't ask for the tests. It's a PR move... Ellerbe saying that he's proud of Mayweather standing out championing for this cause. Right. If he came back from retirement and petitioning for a change was his intention all along, then maybe his first fight with Marquez should've been the proper platform to introduce it.

As much bulls**t as Arum has spewed, Mayweather and his camp and equally been hypocritical, if not worse.

Of course I know that. He would take a huge hit on his rep and pretty much f**k himself over for future Pac negotiations. I never said he wouldn't. But random is random and Pac didn't want it. Come on dude, Floyd ain't that dumb.

And why not bring this performance enhancement issue to light now more than ever, right after every other sport is trying to rid themselves of the title of the "steroid era"? Why not before the biggest fight this sport has to offer? Why not now???

Oh right, because he's fighting your boy Manny Pacquiao.

Quote:
Zab Judah is the only legitimate Welterweight that Mayweather has ever fought. What's as worse than using Baldomir and the world lineal is Hatton and the world lineal. Those two names and the world lineal should not and do not apply.

Dude, look at the welters that were available at that time. It was Zab and nobody else. Mosley was fighting at Jr. Middleweight, Cotto and Hatton were fighting at light welterweight. Everyone wanted to see Zab and Mayweather. But Zab took a fight before Mayweather and lost to BALDOMIR. Again how can you blame Floyd for fighting the guy who beat the guy that everybody wanted to see you fight?

And again, Cotto and Hatton didn't want none at the time.

Quote:
Defend him with whatever you want to say about him retiring. Don't call yourself the f**king best and retire. He's not boxing's savior. He didn't have this predisposed plan of allowing the welterweight division to stack up. He saw boxing survive and do well without him and that was a bigger blow to his ego. He saw boxing thrive without him and saw dollar signs again so that's why he came back. Has nothing to do with legacy as he says. None of it. He came back for money. It's no mystery he owed the IRS money and that they had an agreement for a settlement of the purse split for the Marquez fight. "Legacy don't pay bills," says the man who claims he owns everything free and clear. The one thing he don't own is the IRS.

This is just an excuse that haters use. The guy talks trash, that's how he gets you interested. If you don't like him over that, then ignore him or get a thicker skin. Damn! But obviously, he gets you interested, so it works. You have nobody to blame but yourself for that.

The guy had been fighting since was sixteen, and professionally for eleven years. He just made a nice chunk of change over his last two fights (DLH, Hatton) you telling me he doesn't deserve to take a nice vacation, only because you hate that he runs his mouth?

Quote:
Don't try to validate that Marquez fight as a tuneup one bit. That s**t was a setup if I've ever seen one in boxing. Let's fight the guy who gave the #1 P4P boxer 24 rounds of hell. We beat that guy...we can try to use that as leverage in fighting him. Pacquiao fought JMM at his NATURAL weight. Bringing Marquez 2 1/2 divisions up in weight and have people marvelling at how well he disposed and dismantled JMM? People want to knock on Pac for fighting DLH at 147. As bad as that was, bringing Marquez up super featherweight/ lightweight was worse. He was pudgy, slow, and obviously not a threat.

A set-up, a tune-up, what's the difference? Nothing... again, most of us with a clue of the sport [that didn't just happen to stumble onto 24/7 and suddenly gain interest] knew who was gonna win and why. Hell I could even go back and find the thread here and quote zone members that said the same s**t.

And you said it yourself, he was pudgy, slow... so why would anyone suspect Marquez of being on PEDs?

Quote:
You say Cotto and Mosley ducked him. If I remember correctly, Mosley had a legitimate gripe about having injured his mouth in one of his bouts and Mayweather called him out on it and Mosley declined citing his injury for not taking any bouts. After the Marquez fight, Floyd set that whole confrontation up. He waves his hands calling Shane in the ring and tries to stage a dispute. If you're going to stage that dispute, why not begin talks for that fight? WTF was it all for?

Fine, say the Mosley gripe about his teeth was true, so then what? That still doesn't remove the fact that Mayweather called him out on many different occasions. So how can you blame Mayweather for ducking Mosley, when Mosley has been ducking Mayweather his whole career?

The confrontation after the Marquez fight? Mosley is a Golden Boy partner, him and Bernard have a right to be in the ring. Mayweather didn't call him "in the ring", he was already in. But... saying all that, Mayweather's eyes were on Manny. Shane has to wait in line just like everybody else. Boxing is a business, you can't just willy nilly jump into fights because of a heated confrontation, you gotta take your time and plan your next move, that's just smart business.

But all this is all moot now, Shane's getting his chance.

Quote:

You saying Cotto ducked him stems more from your predetermined hate for Arum since he promotes Pac. Arum's the piece of s**t lying promoter, yet you back Ellerbe, Haymon and Golden Boy's stable of fighters as if they've never been hypocritical or have been full of s**t.

Cotto never called him out. The guy was a bit green back then. Arum didn't wanna put him in there. Which is cool, Cotto needed a few more fights before taking on anyone of Mayweather's caliber.

Quote:
Margo for $8 million? or Baldomir for $8 million and a title. Yea, I'd take the easier fight for a belt also if I were Floyd. It's no different than Pacquiao choosing Diaz for his lightweight belt. The difference between the two? I don't consider Diaz a signature win for Pac. As much as Pac and his team have cherrypicked his opponents, its no worse than Mayweather's path. His career after the jump to weltwerweight can best be described as "The Road not Taken." As great as Floyd is, he's recently continued to fight the "smaller man." Except you find it so hard to believe why I'd give more merit to Pac coming up and fighting fighters in the higher weight divisions. What's so hard to understand?

Ok, you're kinda missing the point here. The whole Margo business was just a ploy from Arum to get Floyd to stay and make him more money.

Floyd had different plans. He wanted Mosley and DLH, a guy who didn't deal with Arum at the time, so the only way to get at DLH was to buy out of Top Rank, which he did.

Mosley didn't happen because he took some time off, Baldomir happened because he's the guy that beat the guy that everyone wanted to see him fight. He took on the guy that everybody wanted, PLUS the guy that just beat him. How does that not make sense?

Arum being the greedy f**ker that he is, used Margo as a pawn and nothing else.

Quote:

You ever listen to the words that comes out of your boy's mouth? As much as I defend Pac on this steroid issue, you straight got earplugs when it comes to Floyd talking. Cause there ain't nothing he won't s**t out, or nothing he won't put out that you won't eat.

"Why am I gonna fight him, he's lost before."

"Why am I gonna fight him, he's on steroids."

"Why am I gonna fight him, he's not a PPV attraction."

Again, grow a thicker skin! I don't "eat up" anything the man says. I like Floyd more because of what he does in the ring than what he does outside of it. A fighter or sports athlete's life outside of the ring/court/field doesn't concern me. I'm a fan of the sport. People live their lives however they wanna live it, I'll live mine however I want. Sports is entertainment, whatever those guys say outside of the ring about the sport of boxing, I take it as that, entertainment and nothing more.

Quote:

You say Pac should man the f**k up, take the test and fight? I say Floyd should shut the f**k up, get in the right and fight.

When you say "I, myself, and most other people who have a clue about boxing," just come out forthright and say you mean just yourself because that's statement really says. Not once have you really admitted that Pacquiao could be clean. Instead your pitchfork and torch have been lit from the moment these steroid accusations came flying and this fight quickly came together and even more quickly fell apart. You're as unbiased as a Golden Boy Press Release.

When I said "I, myself, and most other people who have a clue about boxing," I was clearly referring to the Marquez fight and the fact that it was a tune-up, and yes a clever setup to gain leverage on Pac. If you thought it was anything more than that, then you got fooled.

Where have I said that Pacquiao is dirty? It's all accusations and speculations at the moment. BUT... the way Pac and his team took issue with these allegations, he didn't exactly do anything to dispel these rumors, if anything he got more people raising his eyebrows.

Pac's the top dog. I got no problem admitting that. But with being the best, there comes a lot of responsibility and people are gonna try to knock you down.

What's the best way to handle accusations? Well it certainly isn't by hiding behind your team and letting them make up some lame excuses. Throwing away a $40 million fight that the whole world is clamoring for doesn't really help your case either.

Quote:
When negotiations fell apart, why was it that GBP murmured Nate Campbell (LIGHTWEIGHT GBP), Paulie Malignaggi (LIGHTWEIGHT/ JUNIOR LIGHTWEIGHT GBP), Matthew Hatton (no comment) as possible opponents? Why hasn't he fought a legitimate welterweight since Judah? Call yourself the best, then fight the f**king best. Fight Shane. Fight Paul. Fight Margo. Fight Berto. Fight Pac. Fight someone your own f**king size. Then shut all the haters up. Shut me the f**k up. He might be one of the best boxers on the planet today, but it's a gotdamn SHAME to consider himself one of the best welterweights.

GBP also murmured Kermit Cintron(A TOP RANKED LIGHT MIDDLEWEIGHT), but yeah let's just gloss over that detail, wouldn't wanna hurt your argument.

BTW, it was looking like Mayweather was gonna go up against Kermit Cintron before Berto cancelled his fight.

And again, you're getting your wish. You want him to fight the best? He's gonna go fight Shane.

------

The fact that Pac fans can even get behind a Clottey vs. Manny fight when there's a career defining, once in a lifetime fight on the table with very fair compromises is beyond me.

What's the point of Pac and Roach saying he only needs a 5 day window for testing, but not even bother to tell your promoter, and let him throw away the fight over 14 days?
Silky, look at it from a business aspect:

Why not sweeten the deal by Pacman defending his belt against a guy many ppl thought should've fought him instead of Cotto? Then, have floyd fight Mosely in an epic welterweight title bout? Let's be honest, as good as Clottey and Mosely may be, not nearly up to Mayweathers or Pacmans talents. I do agree with your statement that they only became big names b/c of Mayweathers retirement.

You solve the "duck" title for Mayweather, allow for a summer bout which more ppl would be able to go to, figure out what venue would be best, and increase the payout substantially.

Now, I know the risks of possible upsets and injuries would damper the possible epic bout, but the payoff would undoubtedly be worth the risks.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Silky, look at it from a business aspect:

Why not sweeten the deal by Pacman defending his belt against a guy many ppl thought should've fought him instead of Cotto? Then, have floyd fight Mosely in an epic welterweight title bout? Let's be honest, as good as Clottey and Mosely may be, not nearly up to Mayweathers or Pacmans talents. I do agree with your statement that they only became big names b/c of Mayweathers retirement.

You solve the "duck" title for Mayweather, allow for a summer bout which more ppl would be able to go to, figure out what venue would be best, and increase the payout substantially.

Now, I know the risks of possible upsets and injuries would damper the possible epic bout, but the payoff would undoubtedly be worth the risks.

I never said they became big names because of Mayweather's retirement. I'm just saying that before Mayweather took a hiatus, these guys weren't well known outside of boxing fans. So all these people saying Floyd ducked all these guys is really just unfounded BS meant to attack dude's career because, well... they have nothing else to stand on.

I'm actually excited about the possibility of a Mosley-Mayweather matchup. Probably just as much as a Pacquiao-Mayweather matchup. The Clottey-Pac fight should be pretty good too, and I'll watch it of course. I won't go out of my way to pay for it, but I'll see if I can hit up a homeboy's house or find a stream somewhere.

As long as the Money May-Sugar Shane fight happens, this whole ordeal with Pacquiao honestly doesn't really matter to me. But if Mayweather does actually duck Shane, then I'll have to give him s**t for that.

Sucks what Berto has gone through, I feel bad for him, but he's still young, he'll get his.
This fight's gonna be off the hook!

The thread starter should edit the Title

Mayweather vs Mosley / May 1, 2010
Holy sh!t! If the card turns out to be like they plan, then god damn! I just came in my pants! I don't think I've ever seen an undercard this good!

1.Shane Mosley vs Floyd Mayweather - WBA WelterWeight Title Fight
2.Juan Manuel Marquez vs Amir Khan - 12 Rounds Junior WeltwerWeight
3.Joel Casamayor vs Joan Guzman - 12 Rounds LightWeight ?
4.Victor Ortiz vs Nate Campbell - 12 Rounds Junior WelterWeight ?
5.Saul Alvarez vs TBA - 12 Rounds WelterWeight

The JMM/Kahn and Alvarez fights are set, supposedly they're working on the other two.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Holy sh!t! If the card turns out to be like they plan, then god damn! I just came in my pants! I don't think I've ever seen an undercard this good!

The JMM/Kahn and Alvarez fights are set, supposedly they're working on the other two.
no way!

JMM vs Khan / Casamayor vs Guz can easily be Hbo headliners
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

no way!

JMM vs Khan / Casamayor vs Guz can easily be Hbo headliners

You're right. I spoke prematurely. It was in the Boxrec events for a few days as the undercard to Pretty Boy/SSM but looks like they removed it.

It would have been sick though! But it makes no business sense, when that fight can do pretty well on it's own.

So far the only confirmed undercard is Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. TBA
Share 49ersWebzone