LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Player of the Decade, each sport

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
NBA - Kobe Bryant ( I hate to say it, but it's true)
NFL - Peyton Manning
MLB - Albert Pujols
NHL - nobody cares
College Football - Vince Young
College Basketball - Jay Williams

I'm sure that will be the popular choice here, but the fact is Kobe needs a dominant big man to do anything in the postseason, whereas Duncan IS a dominant big man and the best ever at his position.

Kobe just won a championship without a dominant big man

Paul Gasol
NBA - Kobe Bryant
NFL - Peyton Manning
MLB - Albert Pujols
NHL - Alex Oveckin
College Football - Tim Tebow although I hate the guy
College Basketball - Bit harder for college bball but I'll say it comes to one of these 4 players Jay Williams, JJ Redick, Adam Morrison, or Tyler Hansbrough
PGA - Tiger of course
Tennis - Rodger Federer
NASCAR - Jimmie Johnson
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
NBA-Kobe Bryant
*As much as I hate to admit it, he's the best of this decade. Sure, he only wins championships with big guys, but every team needs a dominant big guy in the low post. Duncan is good, but has had more talent playing around him (Ginoblli, Parker, Robinson, Bowden, Finley) to not have won more championships this decade. Also, even on his worst teams, Kobe singlehandedly almosttook them to the playoffs.

Yeah, he almost did. Tim won a championship with Speedy Claxton. Don't act like Tim Duncan was surrounded by hall of famers and Kobe was taking a pack of wild hobos. Kobe had Shaq, then couldn't do anything without Shaq, until he got Gasol. Obviously Gasol isn't as good as prime Shaq, but Kobe has improved, and that's what makes up the difference.

Yeah, I don't know about this logic. You're comparing Duncan's Parker/Bowen/Ginnobili/Finley supporting cast to Kobe's Smush Parker/Kwame Brown/Chucky Atkins/Medvendenko/Walton cast.

Never said that. I just disagree that it's somehow impressive that Kobe almost made the playoffs, and that Tim has always been surrounded by supreme talent.

Kobe missed the 2005 playoffs. You know who made it instead? Pau Gasol and that star-studded Grizzlies team. Actually, Pau's Grizzlies were better than Kobe's Lakers in 05 & 06.
NBA-Kobe Bryant
*As much as I hate to admit it, he's the best of this decade. Sure, he only wins championships with big guys, but every team needs a dominant big guy in the low post. Duncan is good, but has had more talent playing around him (Ginoblli, Parker, Robinson, Bowden, Finley) to not have won more championships this decade. Also, even on his worst teams, Kobe singlehandedly almosttook them to the playoffs.

Yeah, he almost did. Tim won a championship with Speedy Claxton. Don't act like Tim Duncan was surrounded by hall of famers and Kobe was taking a pack of wild hobos. Kobe had Shaq, then couldn't do anything without Shaq, until he got Gasol. Obviously Gasol isn't as good as prime Shaq, but Kobe has improved, and that's what makes up the difference.

Yeah, I don't know about this logic. You're comparing Duncan's Parker/Bowen/Ginnobili/Finley supporting cast to Kobe's Smush Parker/Kwame Brown/Chucky Atkins/Medvendenko/Walton cast.

Never said that. I just disagree that it's somehow impressive that Kobe almost made the playoffs, and that Tim has always been surrounded by supreme talent.

Kobe missed the 2005 playoffs. You know who made it instead? Pau Gasol and that star-studded Grizzlies team. Actually, Pau's Grizzlies were better than Kobe's Lakers in 05 & 06.

I guess I'm missing the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that Kobe taking the hacks he had and almost making the playoffs, and then another year being the 8th seed and being up on the #1 seed Suns 3-1 wasn't impressive, and that Duncan has not been constantly surrounded by top notch talent?

I really am interested in what you're trying to say here, and I'm not trying to debate you on the Kobe/Duncan topic.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Zidane
NBA-Kobe Bryant

I guess I'm missing the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that Kobe taking the hacks he had and almost making the playoffs, and then another year being the 8th seed and being up on the #1 seed Suns 3-1 wasn't impressive, and that Duncan has not been constantly surrounded by top notch talent?

I really am interested in what you're trying to say here, and I'm not trying to debate you on the Kobe/Duncan topic.

Gasol is the reason your team is good, not Kobe.

Obviously a joke, but my only point is that almost making the playoffs with a crummy team is almost impressive.
NBA-Kobe Bryant

Got it. And Parker is the reason the Spurs are good. Not Duncan.

Makes sense.
  • dman
  • Veteran
NBA-Kobe Bryant

Makes sense.

Player of the decade = Pau Gasol
NBA-Kobe Bryant

Makes sense.

Pfft, it's Ginobili, not Parker.
NBA-Kobe Bryant

Makes sense.

Parker has a Finals MVP. Where is your boy Ginobili on that list?

NBA-Kobe Bryant

Makes sense.

Should have in 2005. Maybe in 2010!
NBA-Kobe Bryant

Makes sense.

Should have in 2005. Maybe in 2010!

The funniest part is not even you believe that.
Originally posted by dman:
Zidane

damn I wish I could do that to someones sternum
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by dman:
Zidane

damn I wish I could do that to someones sternum

I wish I could do what he did on the field ... the best Ive ever seen.
  • SLICK
  • Veteran
NHL has to be Brodeur....
Share 49ersWebzone