LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 141 users in the forums

Player of the Decade, each sport

Mixed Martial Arts: Fedor Emelianenko!

NBA - Kobe

MLB- Barry Bonds ya whores!

NFL-Manning
Originally posted by TX9R:
The guy was an all star at MEMPHIS of all places, he's one of the best low post players in the game. Considering the dearth of low post players right now, you'd have to say he was pretty dominant in comparison.

Pau's an excellent player, no doubt. But he's never been "dominant". Making the all-star team once in Memphis doesn't qualify him as such. I mean, David West made an all-star team in New Orleans. AC Green was once an all-star. Duncan's had all-star level talent around him in San Antonio as well at both of the guard spots, as well as a dominant perimeter defender in Bowen.

I have no problem with someone taking Duncan as the NBA player of the decade, I just disagree with your characterization.
NBA: Duncan (duh)
NFL: Brady (just kidding, it's Tim Rattay!)
NCAAF: Bince (no, that's not a typo, that's how Bince says it)
NCAAB: Hansbrough

Aside from being a Spurs fan, I think Duncan's been more consistently successful. I know Kobe played on some bad teams, but to miss the playoffs completely is something Duncan never had to worry about. Honestly, it's a little like picking between Manning and Brady.

As for college hoops, Hansbrough wins, but he obviously wasn't the best. Carmelo or Durant were the best college players I saw this decade. I'd probably give the nod to Anthony though.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
NFL: Peyton Manning
NBA: Kobe Bryant
MLB: Albert Pujols
NCAAF: Reggie Bush
NCAAB: Carmelo Anthony
Golf: c'mon man !
Tennis: Roger Federer
NASCAR: I hear Jimmie Johnson's name alot on Sportscenter so i'll go with him
Ping-Pong: Robert Johnson
NHL: Hockey Sucks

You guys have no idea what you are talking about when you say Hockey sucks. Just cause America doesn't dominate in it like other sports, Americans turn and just say, well hockey sucks.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
NBA - Kobe Bryant ( I hate to say it, but it's true)
NFL - Peyton Manning
MLB - Albert Pujols
NHL - nobody cares
College Football - Vince Young
College Basketball - Jay Williams

NBA - Shaq
NFL - Tom Brady
MLB - Pujols
NHL - I don't know?
College Football - Tim Tebow
College Basketball - Redick
NBA-Kobe Bryant
*As much as I hate to admit it, he's the best of this decade. Sure, he only wins championships with big guys, but every team needs a dominant big guy in the low post. Duncan is good, but has had more talent playing around him (Ginoblli, Parker, Robinson, Bowden, Finley) to not have won more championships this decade. Also, even on his worst teams, Kobe singlehandedly almost took them to the playoffs.

MLB- Barry Bonds
*Just b/c of the steriod scandal doesn't take away how dominant he was. All the records, MVPs, and just the fear he instilled to every pitcher, team, and fan clearly makes him the best this decade. Pujols is great too, but he hasn't reached Bonds status just yet.

NFL- Peyton Manning
*Could make a case for Brady here too with all the championships, but no individual player has done so much as Manning has this decade. No matter who his receivers are, his OL is, his RBs, or his HC, he IS the Indy offense, including the OC as well. Without him, the Colts are a sub-.500 team with a crappy run defense. With him, they're an offensive juggernaut with a defense who only has to stop the other teams offense for 2 drives to secure the win.

NHL- Brandon Roy
*Sure, not the sexy pick, but was the most dominant goalie of this decade. This was hard between Broudeur and Roy (no forwards match up to the likes of Gretzky or Lemeuix in the 80's and 90's), but feel Roy deserved it more for this decade, though Broudeur could possibly become the greatest goalie of all-time when his career is over.

Golf- Tiger Woods
*Enough said.....

Tennis- Roger Federer
*Does this need an explanation either?

Nascar- Jimmy Johnson
*4 straight championships=best of the decade

College Football- Tim Tebow
*Don't get me wrong, I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like Tebow (really hate the guy), but his overall career clearly shines as the greatest this decade. Sure, Leinart and VY have strong arguments as well (Bush doesn't), but look at their teams before and after them. VY only succeeded in the Rose Bowl (both times), but didn't have dominance in the beginning. Also, leinart was the product of the USC system, who can make any QB look good. Tebow produced from his freshman year on (on a team that could barely make bowl games under Zook and Leak) and developed into one of the most prolific college QBs ever. Now, I think VY will be a better pro than Tebow, but no one player has dominated the entire college world as much as tebow (3rd most Heisman votes ever, first sophmore to win heisman, 2 National Championships, All-time TD leader in SEC, and so many more), as much as i HATE to admit.

College Basketball- Carmelo Anthony
*Yes, I know he only played one year. But look at his dominance that year. He was clearly above and beyond everyone else (basically a man amongst boys) and singlehandedly brought that Syracuse team a NCAA championship. Jay Williams and Tyler Hansborough had longer and productive college careers, but Carmelo clearly was NBA ready entering as a freshman, and don't think anyone comes close (might've included Rose, but he couldn't get Memphis a title, or Durant, but couldn't get Texas a title)
Sasha Vujacic
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
NBA-Kobe Bryant
*As much as I hate to admit it, he's the best of this decade. Sure, he only wins championships with big guys, but every team needs a dominant big guy in the low post. Duncan is good, but has had more talent playing around him (Ginoblli, Parker, Robinson, Bowden, Finley) to not have won more championships this decade. Also, even on his worst teams, Kobe singlehandedly almost took them to the playoffs.

College Football- Tim Tebow
*Don't get me wrong, I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like Tebow (really hate the guy), but his overall career clearly shines as the greatest this decade. Sure, Leinart and VY have strong arguments as well (Bush doesn't), but look at their teams before and after them. VY only succeeded in the Rose Bowl (both times), but didn't have dominance in the beginning. Also, leinart was the product of the USC system, who can make any QB look good. Tebow produced from his freshman year on (on a team that could barely make bowl games under Zook and Leak) and developed into one of the most prolific college QBs ever. Now, I think VY will be a better pro than Tebow, but no one player has dominated the entire college world as much as tebow (3rd most Heisman votes ever, first sophmore to win heisman, 2 National Championships, All-time TD leader in SEC, and so many more), as much as i HATE to admit.

quote]

2 problems here, one Duncan had maybe the least amount of help ever in 2001 and not much in the first one either, Robinson was not the same player he had been. Parker and Manu were rookies the 2nd one, not yet the players they would be. Health is the main reason they didn't win more, but what 4 isn'[t enough?
As far as your statement about VY, you know he only started 2 years and left early and pretty much dominated the entire time he played right? Tebow was a situational player his 1st year, and played his Sr year. If you want to say he's the best, fine, but your arguments against VY are not accurate.
^The Spurs didn't win in 2001. And they won 3 titles this past decade, not 4.

NBA-Kobe Bryant
*As much as I hate to admit it, he's the best of this decade. Sure, he only wins championships with big guys, but every team needs a dominant big guy in the low post. Duncan is good, but has had more talent playing around him (Ginoblli, Parker, Robinson, Bowden, Finley) to not have won more championships this decade. Also, even on his worst teams, Kobe singlehandedly almosttook them to the playoffs.

Yeah, he almost did. Tim won a championship with Speedy Claxton. Don't act like Tim Duncan was surrounded by hall of famers and Kobe was taking a pack of wild hobos. Kobe had Shaq, then couldn't do anything without Shaq, until he got Gasol. Obviously Gasol isn't as good as prime Shaq, but Kobe has improved, and that's what makes up the difference.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
@ anybody but Pujols being selected for MLB.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
NBA-Kobe Bryant
*As much as I hate to admit it, he's the best of this decade. Sure, he only wins championships with big guys, but every team needs a dominant big guy in the low post. Duncan is good, but has had more talent playing around him (Ginoblli, Parker, Robinson, Bowden, Finley) to not have won more championships this decade. Also, even on his worst teams, Kobe singlehandedly almosttook them to the playoffs.

Yeah, he almost did. Tim won a championship with Speedy Claxton. Don't act like Tim Duncan was surrounded by hall of famers and Kobe was taking a pack of wild hobos. Kobe had Shaq, then couldn't do anything without Shaq, until he got Gasol. Obviously Gasol isn't as good as prime Shaq, but Kobe has improved, and that's what makes up the difference.

Yeah, I don't know about this logic. You're comparing Duncan's Parker/Bowen/Ginnobili/Finley supporting cast to Kobe's Smush Parker/Kwame Brown/Chucky Atkins/Medvendenko/Walton cast.
Share 49ersWebzone