• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Jordache49:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Halak to St.Louis Lars Eller and Ian Schultz.

yah

idk

i thought they would have traded price (imo, more teams would have went after price than the hot goalie)

Im a Blue Note fan so I love the trade. Didnt have to trade any of our young NHL talent

Halak's value went up huge for that playoff run. Nobody was probably offering anything much for Price, cuz he did squat this year and has a large contract. Habs were kinda handcuffed on this one..
Eller is a good 2way player and will be top 9 forward this year. They didnt get robbed like most think. Habs need scoring more than anything, couldnt afford Halak and Price's contract (and they're stuck with Price's) and still got 2 young players with 1 being NHL ready. I think both teams got some good out of this deal.

My FB is blowing up....Montreal is def. not happy with this move. Nor am I. Do we need scoring ? You bet your ass we do, but at the expense of the reason why you just sniffed the cup (and coupled with Price's performance this year) ? Bad move by the FO.

St.Louis are clearly the winners in this deal.

Habs had no choice. Halak was a RFA and the Habs couldnt pay him. His value is high right now and they're stuck with Price, since his worth is low and they already signed him to a large contract. Nobody was gonna take Price, his contract AND give up players/picks... Eller is gonna be good. He prob should have been in the NHL this year

Yeah I don't think Montreal had much choice that they had to trade Halak.

But the question is, is this really the best deal they could get? The only way it makes sense to me is if they wanted to only trade him to the West and not a conference foe. I have to think that was the reasoning here.

And looking at the West, almost every team is committed to a goalie except: SJ(who knows if they are sticking with Nabby), St. Louis, Columbus (Mason was pretty inconsistent this year, but CMB is probably giving him another year) and Edmonton(who probably isn't willing to trade away young talent since a goalie won't make much difference).

So that leaves SJ and St. Louis. To me, this may be an indication SJ wants to keep Nabby. Otherwise I got to wonder why they didn't offer a better deal to Montreal.

Both were Price and Halak were RFA's though. Would have been better off not giving Price a qualifying offer and let him walk. What Halak has done the last 2 years > What Price has done.

yah

idk

i thought they would have traded price (imo, more teams would have went after price than the hot goalie)

Im a Blue Note fan so I love the trade. Didnt have to trade any of our young NHL talent

Halak's value went up huge for that playoff run. Nobody was probably offering anything much for Price, cuz he did squat this year and has a large contract. Habs were kinda handcuffed on this one..
Eller is a good 2way player and will be top 9 forward this year. They didnt get robbed like most think. Habs need scoring more than anything, couldnt afford Halak and Price's contract (and they're stuck with Price's) and still got 2 young players with 1 being NHL ready. I think both teams got some good out of this deal.

My FB is blowing up....Montreal is def. not happy with this move. Nor am I. Do we need scoring ? You bet your ass we do, but at the expense of the reason why you just sniffed the cup (and coupled with Price's performance this year) ? Bad move by the FO.

Habs had no choice. Halak was a RFA and the Habs couldnt pay him. His value is high right now and they're stuck with Price, since his worth is low and they already signed him to a large contract. Nobody was gonna take Price, his contract AND give up players/picks... Eller is gonna be good. He prob should have been in the NHL this year

But the question is, is this really the best deal they could get? The only way it makes sense to me is if they wanted to only trade him to the West and not a conference foe. I have to think that was the reasoning here.

And looking at the West, almost every team is committed to a goalie except: SJ(who knows if they are sticking with Nabby), St. Louis, Columbus (Mason was pretty inconsistent this year, but CMB is probably giving him another year) and Edmonton(who probably isn't willing to trade away young talent since a goalie won't make much difference).

So that leaves SJ and St. Louis. To me, this may be an indication SJ wants to keep Nabby. Otherwise I got to wonder why they didn't offer a better deal to Montreal.

Both were Price and Halak were RFA's though. Would have been better off not giving Price a qualifying offer and let him walk. What Halak has done the last 2 years > What Price has done.

Out of curiosity, what are the Has fans opinion of Bob Gainey? I've always been fan of his, obviously because he built my Stars into a Cup winner.

The whole blowing up the roster and building it through FA again seemed pretty crazy, but it looks like it worked after he resigned as they did pretty good in playoffs.

yah

idk

They're pretty much hoping/banking on the idea that Price will be great eventually. But yeah, it's not as easy of a decision as it might seem to some, I'd say. I mean Price had a nice start a short while back. You saw flashes of brilliance in the playoffs a few years ago, making people (including me, for one) think "This kid should be very good in the future."

But I dunno. Halak is only 25. I think they're taking a huge risk in going with the guy who they only think "MIGHT" be good, when they've already seen someone who HAS been GREAT.

They're putting all their eggs in the "Blindly hope Price turns into an exponentially better goalie than Halak" basket. Looking at it objectively, I can understand why they did it, but all in all.. it's a stupid move right now. It'll only look genius if Price becomes an all-star. That's the thing too, they only need Price to do great for it to be an excellent trade, because of the strong offensive prospects they received. But you could still argue they could've used the money to get more proven guys too, so...

Anyways. My take: Not the smartest move now. High risk, but high reward kind of thing.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Out of curiosity, what are the Has fans opinion of Bob Gainey? I've always been fan of his, obviously because he built my Stars into a Cup winner.

The whole blowing up the roster and building it through FA again seemed pretty crazy, but it looks like it worked after he resigned as they did pretty good in playoffs.

When he first arrived and in the early stages he was well received but over time a lot of fans started to sour on him. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't great, but he did trim some fat and make some good moves for us.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
They're pretty much hoping/banking on the idea that Price will be great eventually. But yeah, it's not as easy of a decision as it might seem to some, I'd say. I mean Price had a nice start a short while back. You saw flashes of brilliance in the playoffs a few years ago, making people (including me, for one) think "This kid should be very good in the future."

But I dunno. Halak is only 25. I think they're taking a huge risk in going with the guy who they only think "MIGHT" be good, when they've already seen someone who HAS been GREAT.

They're putting all their eggs in the "Blindly hope Price turns into an exponentially better goalie than Halak" basket. Looking at it objectively, I can understand why they did it, but all in all.. it's a stupid move right now. It'll only look genius if Price becomes an all-star. That's the thing too, they only need Price to do great for it to be an excellent trade, because of the strong offensive prospects they received. But you could still argue they could've used the money to get more proven guys too, so...

Anyways. My take: Not the smartest move now. High risk, but high reward kind of thing.

With the local Montreal media, if they don't get the high reward Pierre Gauthier is going to be roasted alive.

Side note...Halak jersey's were a hot freaking item with the playoff run we had and now they just became a giant waste of people's money....hope they enjoyed the few weeks/months they got to wear them.

When he first arrived and in the early stages he was well received but over time a lot of fans started to sour on him. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't great, but he did trim some fat and make some good moves for us.

With the local Montreal media, if they don't get the high reward Pierre Gauthier is going to be roasted alive.

Side note...Halak jersey's were a hot freaking item with the playoff run we had and now they just became a giant waste of people's money....hope they enjoyed the few weeks/months they got to wear them.

Ouch. Now that's something I didn't even think about. What a bummer for those fans. I'd have been furious even more so if I were a Habs fan who bought one.
Philly gets the rights to dan hamuis

Philly wants defense defense defense

We better do something fast -- there'll be no D-men left soon enough.

they still got to sign him

idk what their cap is, but I hope they let claude giroux go

God, the sharks need Giroux

Fat chance. Well, more like no chance. I can't see that happening at all -- it'd be miraculous, but absolutely amazing if it did happen. We need any great D player.

Fat chance. Well, more like no chance. I can't see that happening at all -- it'd be miraculous, but absolutely amazing if it did happen. We need any great D player.

hold up, how does philly got the cap to sign hamhuis???? but theyre building the team the right way, spend money on a dominating d but im not sold on leighton to have another run like this past yr. something we should be doing, but dw is soooo damn slow when it comes to free agency

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

hold up, how does philly got the cap to sign hamhuis???? but theyre building the team the right way, spend money on a dominating d but im not sold on leighton to have another run like this past yr. something we should be doing, but dw is soooo damn slow when it comes to free agency

Well why wouldn't they? Who are they paying a lot right now other than Pronger? I think they've got discount goaltending right now with not too much money in forwards. Asham may not re-sign and he's a guy I wouldn't mind in SJ -- although I'd be happy if we kept Nichol and/or Malhotra for another go.

Well why wouldn't they? Who are they paying a lot right now other than Pronger? I think they've got discount goaltending right now with not too much money in forwards. Asham may not re-sign and he's a guy I wouldn't mind in SJ -- although I'd be happy if we kept Nichol and/or Malhotra for another go.

They need to find a goalie. I think Leighton is a FA, might me mistaken. They will release one of their dman if they are able to sign Hamhuis, he is going to want a good figure

They need to find a goalie. I think Leighton is a FA, might me mistaken. They will release one of their dman if they are able to sign Hamhuis, he is going to want a good figure

Well the Flyers re-signed Backlund so it seems that at least he's going to get a shot. I'm not sure if Boucher is a FA, but they'll probably look to pick between him and Leighton, and I'd guess it'd be Leighton if they're both FAs.

pronger, carter, briere, timmonen, richards, hartnell i'll say those players are making good money

pronger, carter, briere, timmonen, richards, hartnell i'll say those players are making good money

Well I know about Pronger and Richards. But I mean, look at us -- we've got a heck of a bundle of players with Marleau, Thornton, Heatley, Clowe, Pavs, Seto and defensemen like Boyle and Vlasic. Tack on Nabokov and Blake this year, and we've gotten away with a loaded team. Philly might be able to swing the same this year is all I'm saying.

But I see where you're coming from. I'm not sure we'll get any of those guys from Philly. The Devils' FA d-man would be good.
Share 49ersWebzone