There are 210 users in the forums

Pacquiao vs Cotto Nov 14 in Las Vegas...

Boxers and Celebrities weigh in...

LAS VEGAS - BIG George Foreman leads the list of boxers, professional athletes, celebrities and the esteemed press core who all have opinions about the outcome of FIREPOWER: MANNY PACQUIAO and MIGUEL COTTO. The championship bout takes placeon Saturday November 14 at MGM Grand Garden Arena and will be produced and distributed live on HBO Pay-Per-View®, beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.

In just five days the pound-for-pound king Pacquiao and three-time world champion Cotto meet in the ring in one of the most talked about match-ups in recent boxing history. Some of the most well-known fighters, celebrities, athletes and writers are abuzz with talk of Saturday's evenly matched battle.

From Foreman to P. Diddy, Trump to Hopkins, below please find the predictions of these famous personalities as they answer the question "Pacquiao vs. Cotto-Who will win and why?"

THE BOXERS ARE PICKIN'...

"I think there would have been a good opportunity for Pacquiao to win if he faced Cotto before he fought Clottey, but now Cotto is thinking defense. I think Cotto is going to pull out a decision, and now because of the terrible beating he took against Margarito, he knows he can't get into a knockdown drag out brawl. He's going to be smarter, and I think Cotto wins in a 12 round decision.

"Pacquiao has been riding high and has beaten some of the best in the world. And it leaves you kind of complacent when you're winning. And even if you don't want it to, sometimes you can't get up for a big fight. And that's a plus for Cotto.

I think it's an excellent fight. But when you're riding high you think you're going to walk through your opponent. You get overconfident. People in your camp tell you you're going to win. And you have your spies in camp, telling you about the other guy. When I faced Ali, Frazier and Norton both had beaten Ali, and I had knocked them out pretty easily. So when I faced Ali, I had that confidence, and you think I surely can beat this guy. So I know the feeling, and I think that will happen to Pacquiao." - George Foreman, Former Two-Time Heavyweight World Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, and Entrepreneur.

"I pick Manny Pacquiao by knockout. I think he will knock him out in 7 or 8. Manny just has too much for Cotto." - Mike Tyson, Former Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World

"Pacquiao is going to chop Cotto up. Out of respect, Cotto will get some rounds, but Manny is the Bruce Lee of boxing. His basketball and martial arts background give him that speed and agility. You can't tell where his shots are coming from. Unlike Rocky, Bruce Lee was a real dude and so is Manny. - Bernard Hopkins, Former Two-Division World Champion and Future Boxing Hall of Famer

"I think Manny Pacquiao is going to be too quick for Cotto. I was ringside when Cotto fought Clottey. He seemed to struggle a bit in that fight and it is hard to say what he will do against a faster, quicker Pacquiao. I know people say Cotto is the bigger guy but I still think Pacquiao beats him in a decision." - Joe Calzaghe, Former Undefeated Super Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Champion

"Manny Pacquiao, he's the best, he's on top right now!" - Chad Dawson, Current IBF Light Heavyweight Champion

"It's going to be an interesting fight, and I think Pacquiao better take it very seriously! I think Cotto will win because he's a little bit bigger and is a real welterweight. His power may be enough to overcome Pacquiao's speed. I think Cotto wins in a decision." - "Sugar" Shane Mosley, Current WBA Welterweight Champion

"If Cotto stays busy, he'll win a decision! I think that Cotto will win the fight, but I thinks it's gonna be a good fight!" - Winky Wright, Former Undisputed Light Middleweight Champion, Current Middleweight Contender

"Manny is a big puncher and a good boxer, but he has never faced a natural welterweight like Miguel. Cotto is the most dangerous fight of Pacquiao's career. On the night of the fight, Pacquiao will still not be a full welterweight. And Cotto is very strong. As the fight plays out, around rounds 7, 8, 9, that's when Cotto starts taking over. I think Cotto will win be decision, but he might even get a knockout. With all of my heart I think Miguel Cotto will win." - Tito Trinidad, Former Three-Division World Champion and Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year

"I'm a Puerto Rican like Cotto, but I like Pacquiao because he has fought better guys, like De La Hoya. I see him having no problem against Cotto. Cotto is not a smart fighter, he boxes, and he's shown his colors already. He can be beat. So can Pacquiao, but I like Pacquiao. He has an unorthodox style, with punches coming from all over. Cotto tries to box. I see Pacquiao possibly stopping him. Pacquiao's on a roll, he has the confidence, and he has the boxing momentum. I see him winning." - Hector Camacho, Former WBC and WBO Three-Division Champion

"Pacquiao is a good boxer and Cotto is a fighter. I'm going to give the edge to Cotto, and not just because he's Puerto Rican, but because of the way he fights. He always comes to fight, he's always in shape. Cotto is going to have the edge. I see him winning by decision, but I do think he can knock Pacquiao out if the chance arrives." - Carlos Ortiz, Former Three-Time World Champion and International Boxing Hall of Famer

THE ATHLETES ARE PICKIN'...

"I think Pacquiao will win in 12 rounds, but if there is a knock out I think it will happen in the 9th. Pacquiao is too quick for Cotto." - Terrell Suggs, Three-Time Pro-Bowl Linebacker/Defensive End, Baltimore Ravens

"I'd like to see Pacquiao win because then he'd get to fight Mayweather, and THAT's a fight I really want to see!" - Vernon Davis, Tight End, San Francisco 49ers

"I think Pacquiao will win with a knock out in the 8th round. He is the best pound for pound fighter right now and he will be too much for Cotto to handle." - Brandon Marshall, Wide Receiver, Denver Broncos

"I think its going to be a great fight, but I think Cotto's got the edge because Pacquio leaves himself open too much. So I'm going with Cotto in a decision" - Kellen Winslow Jr., Tight End, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

"It should be one of the best fights of the year between two incredible boxers. Cotto's size advantage could help him early on - if it does go the distance, I think Pacquiao's technique and experience will be tough to beat. But, I say Cotto wins at the end of the day." - Kris Jenkins, Four-Time Pro Bowl Defensive-Tackle, New York Jets

"Manny's quickness on his feet and landing punches will help to win on a knock out." - Justin Morneau, Three-Time All-Star, 2006 AL MVP, 2008 Home Run Derby Champion, First Baseman, Minnesota Twins

"Manny. He's quick and that might be too much for Cotto to handle." - Justin Verlander, Two-Time All-Star, 2006 AL Rookie of the Year, Pitcher, Detroit Tigers

"If Cotto can slow the fight, hit Pac with lead rights, he will be good. I believe Pac will have too much activity, and cuts will play a role in a Pac victory" - Lee Evans, Wide Receiver, Buffalo Bills

"Cotto will be the last one standing!" - Brian Roberts, Two-Time All-Star, Second Baseman, Baltimore Orioles

"Miguel Cotto will end Manny's domination with hard jabs and will knock him out in the later rounds to end Pac-Mans reign." - Gordon Beckham, 2009 Sporting News AL Rookie of the Year, Third Baseman, Chicago White Sox

"Pacquiao....I think he is on a roll right now and he doesn't get enough credit for the power he brings so I think he wins by decision." - Calvin Pace, Linebacker, New York Jets

THE CELEBRITIES ARE PICKIN'...

"Pacquiao and Cotto are two of the best welterweights out there. While both fighters possess tremendous punching power and heart, I believe that the speed of Pacquiao will earn him the WBO welterweight belt. If Pacquiao is victorious, Mayweather would be the next fight that I and all fans would want to see." - Donald Trump, Chairman and CEO of The Trump Organization

"If Cotto reconnects the way he was three years ago, he may give Pacquiao a problem" - Sean "P.Diddy" Combs, Hip-Hop Artist, Actor and Entrepreneur

"Pacquiao is my guy, we've hung out before. He's the kind of guy you'd want with you if a bar fight broke out, I will be there to support him!" - Tyrese Gibson, Actor starring in Transformers and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

"Manny Pacquiao's nickname is 'The Mexicutioner.' He's beaten more Latinos than the police. Pacquiao...unanimous decision." - George Lopez, Comedian, Actor, and Host of Lopez Tonight!

"I'm sorry, the Filipino's going to win!" - Mark Consuelos, Television Personality and Former ­All My Children star

"Both have no quit. Basically it's Pacman's speed and angles vs Cotto's powerful body shots and boxing skills. Two things to watch, if Cotto's cut above eye opens. And does Cotto's new trainer get him fighting sharper than he did against Clottey? This one will go down with the classics. If Cotto's on he wins, if not Pacman." - John Leguizamo, Emmy-Award Winning Actor from Moulin Rouge, Ice Age, Collateral Damage and Assault on Precinct 13.

"I've seen plenty of people talk about standing in front of Pacquaio, but those people always seem to not make it through too well. Cotto will be the same. Pacquiao in a walk. Knock out in the fifth or sixth." - Carrot Top, Comedian

"I'm going to have to go with Pacquiao. I saw his last fight and he's just out of control!" -Sam Trammell, Actor in hit series True Blood

"Pacman wins cause Pacman fights. If Pacman loses, then the Philippines won't have no lights!" - Andre Royo, Actor appearing in television series The Wire
talked to some bookies/vegas guys and they said a lot of sharps are taking Cotto

Originally posted by Hollywood49er:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I'd rather see Pac vs Clottey or Mosley.
Cotto hasn't been the same since that asswhippin Margarito unleashed on him

I agree, Clottey should have won vs Cotto. I can see why Cotto won but he should have lost.

Clottey just wasn't busy enough. If he threw more punches he could have easily beat Cotto but instead he just stood there.

I think Manny wins this fight.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
talked to some bookies/vegas guys and they said a lot of sharps are taking Cotto

That doesn't surprise me considering Cotto is the bigger fighter, displayed a tremendous chin and heart in his only loss against a now known cheater Margarito, and not too long ago was in many No. 1 pound 4 pound discussions. I think Manny ultimatly will come away with a decision victory, but I agree that this is by far his toughest challenge, so for a betting man Cotto is a smart low risk high reward pick.

Why not? Pacquiao's ridiculously overvalued in terms of betting odds vs. Cotto. Having Cotto being the naturally bigger fighter, the beltholder, a strong chin, and ability to both punch and box even with gashes/cuts over his eyes, there's LOTS of value in betting him being such a dog to pacman.

You have to be a hardcore Pacman fight to be willing to lay those odds on him. Or just have a stupid amount of money. It's just not worth throwing down on Pac for this one.

My prediction: Pacman feels Cotto's punches and is less aggressive and picks his spots carefully. He'll go through his phase of stubborness and jump forward with his countless combinations and lead left. But after softening him up, repeated right hooks will open up a gash on Cotto's left eye. A Pacman KO of Cotto is ridiculous, but a TKO in the 10th round is very probable because of the cut. Speed kills...
WAPAKMAN! hahaha

LOL @ ari visiting the wildcard gym..

I AM FREAKING HYPED.. i like both of these fighters.. cotto's camp seems real cool.. i like that fat dude too lol
  • Lonely49erFan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:

Why not? Pacquiao's ridiculously overvalued in terms of betting odds vs. Cotto. Having Cotto being the naturally bigger fighter, the beltholder, a strong chin, and ability to both punch and box even with gashes/cuts over his eyes, there's LOTS of value in betting him being such a dog to pacman.

You have to be a hardcore Pacman fight to be willing to lay those odds on him. Or just have a stupid amount of money. It's just not worth throwing down on Pac for this one.

My prediction: Pacman feels Cotto's punches and is less aggressive and picks his spots carefully. He'll go through his phase of stubborness and jump forward with his countless combinations and lead left. But after softening him up, repeated right hooks will open up a gash on Cotto's left eye. A Pacman KO of Cotto is ridiculous, but a TKO in the 10th round is very probable because of the cut. Speed kills...

Well said bro. The risk/reward for ""big money" bookies and Vegas hotshots is a lot better than picking Pacquiao. However, I've been following this fight since the Pacman KO'd Hatton. He and his team chose this fight for a good reason.

You're right speed kills, and it will be the deciding factor. Cotto is tough and I give him all my respect, but the later rounds will hurt him. He will not be able to keep up with Pacquiao. Recently, the media has also picked up on how weakened Cotto has been to trying and make weight.
^^Cotto's used to the 147 weight...and coming into fights even at 160.

**Cotto, coming from Top Rank knew that Pac was a potential opponent. That's why with his fight with Clottey, which was in NY, the weight upon fight night being disclosed was OPTIONAL. No one really knows what Cotto weighed in that night besides his corner.

Imagine Pacquiao coming in at his usual 148...Cotto coming in at 155-158...of course the strength advantage would be there with Cotto...but how's he going to even lay meaningful shots on Pac if he can't touch him?

Don't get me wrong...really worried about Pacquiao because he is vulnerable. Both camps have their fair share of worries. Pacman again trying to juggle entertaining politicians, starring in his own movies, doing autograph sessions and training. Cotto worrying about having a young an inexperienced trainer while having to drop more weight than usual for the weigh in. But if I remember correctly, Cotto weighed in at 146 for his fight with Clottey, so he shouldn't really be struggling to make 145.
freddie roach was on knbr yesterday and he basically predicted a K.O... the question is when

roach said if cotto decides to brawl and try to use his strength advantage he will get caught in the early rounds.. if he decides to be tactical.. pac would wear him down and get him later in the fight

he also said cotto would get to pacman a few times.. but after realizing that pacman's chin is stronger than he thought.. he would get discouraged and basically fold

he mentioned that manny is basically a complete fighter now.. and that he isn't even close to his prime yet

man i like the confidence.. but just like any other manny fight which he moves up in weight.. i still have my doubts
Originally posted by valrod33:
Cotto knocks him out in 6

Interesting.

I think the 49ers have a better chance of winning the division than Cotto has of winning in Vegas against Pacquiano.

Let's get ready to Ruuuumble.

I'm getting giddy for this fight....

It'll be a tough fight, that's for sure... But Manny will get 'em!

Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:
^^Cotto's used to the 147 weight...and coming into fights even at 160.

**Cotto, coming from Top Rank knew that Pac was a potential opponent. That's why with his fight with Clottey, which was in NY, the weight upon fight night being disclosed was OPTIONAL. No one really knows what Cotto weighed in that night besides his corner.

Imagine Pacquiao coming in at his usual 148...Cotto coming in at 155-158...of course the strength advantage would be there with Cotto...but how's he going to even lay meaningful shots on Pac if he can't touch him?

Don't get me wrong...really worried about Pacquiao because he is vulnerable. Both camps have their fair share of worries. Pacman again trying to juggle entertaining politicians, starring in his own movies, doing autograph sessions and training. Cotto worrying about having a young an inexperienced trainer while having to drop more weight than usual for the weigh in. But if I remember correctly, Cotto weighed in at 146 for his fight with Clottey, so he shouldn't really be struggling to make 145.

I like the way you're thinking about this fight. I think Cotto is a tough SOB and hits like a truck. Let's not forget that Cotto also handled the exceptional speed of Sugar Shane Mosley with the jab and timing. I also remembered that fight because Cotto was fading and Mosley was coming on strong. Cotto still got the W, but there was some controversy. If Cotto uses his jab he can win this fight. WAR Cotto.
cotto should be able to beat Pacquiao. Size matters in boxing.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I never beleived a 5 to 10 pound difference in weight is any advantage, it's a matter of what weight your comfortable in. Also being the heavier fighter doesn't translate to the stronger fighter. It's how you train and how you carry the body weight. When mid to late rounds start to creep conditioning will be the real factor! can PacMan take Cotto punches or can Cotto throw enough punches to even win the round. I think this Saturday is going to be an awesome night! with that being said let's go Manny win a Lechon for Buboy!
Originally posted by titan:
I never beleived a 5 to 10 pound difference in weight is any advantage, it's a matter of what weight your comfortable in. Also being the heavier fighter doesn't translate to the stronger fighter. It's how you train and how you carry the body weight. When mid to late rounds start to creep conditioning will be the real factor! can PacMan take Cotto punches or can Cotto throw enough punches to even win the round. I think this Saturday is going to be an awesome night! with that being said let's go Manny win a Lechon for Buboy!

Definitely never an automatic translation of power or speed, but in this case it really is evident. Pacquiao is the superior fighter in terms of speed and Cotto is said to be the physically stronger fighter.

As long as Pacman can handle Cotto's body punches, there will be no "wearing down" in the later rounds should that be the case.

Pac knocked down Diaz the lightweight..Hatton the junior welter...but he hasn't knocked down any welters yet. I don't think he was at all close to KO'ing Oscar except for one occasion where he lost his balance and grabbed the rope with his right hand. I highly doubt he can get one against Cotto, but he's proved me wrong before.

Can't wait...rocking the Pacman jacket already!!
Share 49ersWebzone