LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 310 users in the forums

Ichiro pitching?

WTF is up with this? I'm watching PTI and their talking about Ichiro pitching.
cuz he was clocked at 92mph in a bullpen session.. think it was for the WBC..mariners have come out and said he will not pitch for them
Reminds me back in the day of Shawon Dunston. He would have been one of the hardest throwers in baseball if he had decided to pitch.
  • JR80
  • Veteran
would ruin his arm. He throws that hard from the outfield maybe once or twice a game...having him do it more than that wouldn't be good for the best hitter in the MLB.
Originally posted by JR80:
would ruin his arm. He throws that hard from the outfield maybe once or twice a game...having him do it more than that wouldn't be good for the best hitter in the MLB.

lol

[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Feb 12, 2009 at 18:47:53 ]
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

lol

he is the best. Now they are better overall hitters like Pujols who can make contact and get it in the field and or out the park but solely getting hits Ichiro is one of the best if not the best.
Originally posted by Thizz415:

lol

he is the best. Now they are better overall hitters like Pujols who can make contact and get it in the field and or out the park but solely getting hits Ichiro is one of the best if not the best.

best contact hitter then.
Originally posted by babyshaq90:
Originally posted by Thizz415:

lol

best contact hitter then.

if ichiro hit at the rate he has in his first 9 seasons for a full career, he would have broken Pete Rose's untouchable hits record in only 18 seasons. it took Rose 24 seasons to achieve.

Ichiro has been the most prolific hit maker in baseball history in the time hes spent in the major leagues. who knows how much longer he can go.

he chooses to hit for avg. he has pop, but its more efficient to hit to get on base at a high rate, steal bases, and be driven in. thats why he isnt HR hitter.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Doesn't matter..a lot of players can throw hard..but if you have no command or movement on your pitches, big league hitters will tear you apart.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Niners99:
he chooses to hit for avg. he has pop

I respect Ichiro. And I think he's the best singles hitter in history.

But I don't believe that he chooses not to hit home runs to preserve his average. I don't think he's capable of hitting home runs.

Frankly, Ichiro as a player is very overrated. His highest OPS is 869.
[ Edited by crzy on Jul 19, 2009 at 9:47 AM ]

• iohk
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:

But I don't believe that he chooses not to hit home runs to preserve his average. I don't think he's capable of hitting home runs.

wow.. overrated? 8 gold gloves in 8 years? 200+ hits in 8 straight years?

he actually does have some power. its not 30-40 HR power, but i bet you he could hit 25 if he changed up his strategy. it obviously wouldnt make as much sense to his game to do so.

.332 career avg, 2001 ROY and AL MVP, 2 time AL batting champion, has led the league in hits 5 times, and working on what will probably be his 6th, as well as 4th straight season doing so. 334 steals in 8.5 seasons, 100+ runs in 8 straight seasons, 8 straight gold gloves, and what might be the strongest OF arm in baseball.

throw power and rbis out the window. hes a leadoff hitter. like i stated before, after 8.5 seasons he is on pace to break Pete Rose's all time hits record in 6 fewer seasons that Rose did it.

if you want to call all that overrated, i cant agree with you. if he retired today, he would probably make the hall of fame after only 8 seasons.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jul 19, 2009 at 8:55 PM ]

he actually does have some power. its not 30-40 HR power, but i bet you he could hit 25 if he changed up his strategy. it obviously wouldnt make as much sense to his game to do so.

.332 career avg, 2001 ROY and AL MVP, 2 time AL batting champion, has led the league in hits 5 times, and working on what will probably be his 6th, as well as 4th straight season doing so. 334 steals in 8.5 seasons, 100+ runs in 8 straight seasons, 8 straight gold gloves, and what might be the strongest OF arm in baseball.

throw power and rbis out the window. hes a leadoff hitter. like i stated before, after 8.5 seasons he is on pace to break Pete Rose's all time hits record in 6 fewer seasons that Rose did it.

if you want to call all that overrated, i cant agree with you. if he retired today, he would probably make the hall of fame after only 8 seasons.

I'm going to have to agree with you here. He is one of the best hitters in the history of the game, and definitely the best leadoff hitter ever.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I'm going to have to agree with you here. He is one of the best hitters in the history of the game, and definitely the best leadoff hitter ever.

i would take 8 ichiros over most in the majors. very few players would i say are better than him.
back in the day, i totally wanted ichiro back when the only thing holding us back was a real leadoff man.
Share 49ersWebzone