LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Official Cal Bears Thread

Originally posted by JR80:
Originally posted by AC49er:
Originally posted by joesfumanchu:
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
How's it looking guys? Can we expect big things of these guys coming in? What does the future hold?

Didnt get any surprises today & we lost out on a few big names (Kenard & Hasik) but we get a 4 star at QB, LB, DT, C & CB. These players should help with the depature of some key players last year

This is a decent class. We're only ranked in the 30s and 40s on most publications but a lot of this has to do with the fact that it's a relatively small class. If you take into account average stars we'd more likely be in the high-teens to low-twenties. With the defection of some USC coaches to Udub and the Neuweasel doing his thing in Westwood, recruiting's gonna be that much harder in the Pac. You know a lot of negative recruiting's going on and I can't imagine those other coaches didn't mention the poor quarterbacking at Cal the last couple years...among other things. The reason we didn't bag more much needed help at wideout. We need whoever JT decides on to light it up next season. The good news is, facilities won't be a hindrance much longer.

Another reason why it is tough to recruit to Cal is that they have such high academic standard for recruits.

Ummm...not really for our football players. We actually have one of the lowest team GPA's in the Pac-10 and an embarrassingly low graduation rate. The simple fact of the matter is, is that we treat regular students and football players on two completely different planes of existence. It's actually kind of sad...

The most recent statistic I've seen puts us at a 44% graduation rate for our football team compared to Stanfurd's 94%, even UCLA is at 59%. The only team we're better than is Arizona who posts a lowly 39% rate.

Gosh, that post hurt a little to read being a Cal fan. lol Anyway, I always thought it was kinda lame bringing up high academics as a hindrance for a Program. Even the #1 public University in the country eases up restrictions for football. And let's be honest, most of these kids are coming in thinking "League" in 3-4 years so those percentages aren't surprising. The only Pac school who can talk about academics in this light is Stanford...and this will not last with the way things are shaping up. I still for the life of me can't believe the haul they just had. Good for them but, damn!
How's it looking guys? Can we expect big things of these guys coming in? What does the future hold?

Didnt get any surprises today & we lost out on a few big names (Kenard & Hasik) but we get a 4 star at QB, LB, DT, C & CB. These players should help with the depature of some key players last year

This is a decent class. We're only ranked in the 30s and 40s on most publications but a lot of this has to do with the fact that it's a relatively small class. If you take into account average stars we'd more likely be in the high-teens to low-twenties. With the defection of some USC coaches to Udub and the Neuweasel doing his thing in Westwood, recruiting's gonna be that much harder in the Pac. You know a lot of negative recruiting's going on and I can't imagine those other coaches didn't mention the poor quarterbacking at Cal the last couple years...among other things. The reason we didn't bag more much needed help at wideout. We need whoever JT decides on to light it up next season. The good news is, facilities won't be a hindrance much longer.

Another reason why it is tough to recruit to Cal is that they have such high academic standard for recruits.

Ummm...not really for our football players. We actually have one of the lowest team GPA's in the Pac-10 and an embarrassingly low graduation rate. The simple fact of the matter is, is that we treat regular students and football players on two completely different planes of existence. It's actually kind of sad...

The most recent statistic I've seen puts us at a 44% graduation rate for our football team compared to Stanfurd's 94%, even UCLA is at 59%. The only team we're better than is Arizona who posts a lowly 39% rate.

Gosh, that post hurt a little to read being a Cal fan. lol Anyway, I always thought it was kinda lame bringing up high academics as a hindrance for a Program. Even the #1 public University in the country eases up restrictions for football. And let's be honest, most of these kids are coming in thinking "League" in 3-4 years so those percentages aren't surprising. The only Pac school who can talk about academics in this light is Stanford...and this will not last with the way things are shaping up. I still for the life of me can't believe the haul they just had. Good for them but, damn!

I bring this point up because some kids do care about academics. We just signed that kid Mark B. from NJ because he wanted to go to one of the top business schools in the country. I wasnt aware our rates were that low but I havent seen numbers in a while.

I bring this point up because some kids do care about academics. We just signed that kid Mark B. from NJ because he wanted to go to one of the top business schools in the country. I wasnt aware our rates were that low but I havent seen numbers in a while.

I hang out online at the bearinsider and UCLA fans always blame academics for a reason a kid couldn't go to their school. I realize this is the case much of the time but when you hear it for every single recruit it gets old...so maybe lame was a wrong choice of words. Sorry. And about Brazinski...the kid is hilarious. Look for reporters to flock to this kid after every game.
The next great Cal running back.

[ Edited by joesfumanchu on Feb 6, 2009 at 19:02:20 ]
Link

#18 (not that it really matters but hey it is the offseason
No. 2 rated QB per Rivals commits to Cal. Take it for what it's worth as it's only a verbal. He sounds solid though so we'll see.

here
rivals
No. 2 rated QB per Rivals commits to Cal. Take it for what it's worth as it's only a verbal. He sounds solid though so we'll see.

here
rivals
man we open up against maryland next season

we better rock them b***hes
Originally posted by ads_2006:
man we open up against maryland next season

we better rock them b***hes

We got 'em. It'll be like the Vols home and home. That early start time in Maryland really messed those guys up. They were sleepwalking until the 4th quarter.

man it took me a while to realize that you didn't post a pic of a NY Jet.

-9fA

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

man it took me a while to realize that you didn't post a pic of a NY Jet.

-9fA

my alma mater
Cal football Can't wait till the season starts and Jahvid Best carries both the Heisman Trophy & National Championship Trophy
Cal football Can't wait till the season starts and Jahvid Best carries both the Heisman Trophy & National Championship Trophy

Our defense is going to be scary. With the entire studly secondary returning and that d-line bookended by Alualu and Jordan with Hill in the middle, if Riley can get his head outta his ass, we have a legitimate shot at seeing both. It'll come down to beating USC and we weren't even able to do that with the best team we've ever had (Aaron Rodgers' 04 squad). USC looks to be down though. Could this be the year? God I'm so pumped.

[ Edited by joesfumanchu on May 26, 2009 at 8:12 PM ]

Our defense is going to be scary. With the entire studly secondary returning and that d-line bookended by Alualu and Jordan with Hill in the middle, if Riley can get his head outta his ass, we have a legitimate shot at seeing both. It'll come down to beating USC and we weren't even able to do that with the best team we've ever had (Aaron Rodgers' 04 squad). USC looks to be down though. Could this be the year? God I'm so pumped.

Thanks for the video. I am pumped!!!!!!

Too bad it is only May
Thanks for posting the preview! May have to go and dig some of last seasons game dvd's out now!
Share 49ersWebzone