Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 639 users in the forums

49ers sign QB Mac Jones

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,559
Originally posted by hummbabybear_1:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I agree, I think Rourk looks good. However, he gets a ding in my book for durability. But again, because of Rourk's lack of durability, he fell to us in the 7th round. As for Mac, he definitely can be a starter and do well in the NFL given a good offensive system. Good news is that a lot of teams now use a variation of the Kyle Shanahan offense. Mac would fit right in with one of those teams. I hope we can get something much more than a third round pick if he's traded.

If Mac gets a good salary and plays well for another team in 2027 then 49ers might get a 3rd round comp pick in 2028. That is probably the best 49ers can recoup for Mac. Lynch is not going to trade him unless there is a disastrous start to the 2026 season, playoffs are a longshot and a playoff contender loses their starter before the trade deadline.

The best time to trade Mac was right before the 2026 draft or during it. The second best time is right before the end of the Trade Deadline for the 2026 season. I think (barring any injury to Brock) there is a good chance he could be traded before the trade deadline. Especially with Kurtis now making the 53 and beating out Martinez. The other factor is ShanaLynch's potential growing confidence in Kurtis - hopefully making any Mac trade more probable - if Kurtis continues to impress ShanaLynch during the season.
Originally posted by Giedi:
The best time to trade Mac was right before the 2026 draft or during it. The second best time is right before the end of the Trade Deadline for the 2026 season. I think (barring any injury to Brock) there is a good chance he could be traded before the trade deadline. Especially with Kurtis now making the 53 and beating out Martinez. The other factor is ShanaLynch's potential growing confidence in Kurtis - hopefully making any Mac trade more probable - if Kurtis continues to impress ShanaLynch during the season.

I thought he would have been traded by now. I'm sure there has been some interest. Some contending team is going to lose a QB, and then they will overpay for Mac. That's my prediction.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I thought he would have been traded by now. I'm sure there has been some interest. Some contending team is going to lose a QB, and then they will overpay for Mac. That's my prediction.

yeah it stinks. i think some teams are making bad QB decisions. like jets riding with Geno. they would be better served with Mac. but sometimes bad teams are gonna make bad moves, or are locked into bad moves, like watson with the browns. i guess it's a strong insurance policy so there's that but i was hopeful we would flip him for a solid pick
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I thought he would have been traded by now. I'm sure there has been some interest. Some contending team is going to lose a QB, and then they will overpay for Mac. That's my prediction.

yeah it stinks. i think some teams are making bad QB decisions. like jets riding with Geno. they would be better served with Mac. but sometimes bad teams are gonna make bad moves, or are locked into bad moves, like watson with the browns. i guess it's a strong insurance policy so there's that but i was hopeful we would flip him for a solid pick

I am sure Mac WOULD NOT be thrilled about a trade to the Jets. But a contending team in search of a QB is a different story. The Vikings maybe? The Colts? The Texans? Or any other contending team in need of a QB and not in the NFC West? That's a possibility. Watch the first four games of the season closely. As I'm sure all fans will. If any QB suffers a long-term injury, then I think Mac's services come into play.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
  • Posts: 156,372
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I thought he would have been traded by now. I'm sure there has been some interest. Some contending team is going to lose a QB, and then they will overpay for Mac. That's my prediction.

yeah it stinks. i think some teams are making bad QB decisions. like jets riding with Geno. they would be better served with Mac. but sometimes bad teams are gonna make bad moves, or are locked into bad moves, like watson with the browns. i guess it's a strong insurance policy so there's that but i was hopeful we would flip him for a solid pick

teams like the Browns and Jets see next year's QB class as way more valuable than Mac Jones.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I am sure Mac WOULD NOT be thrilled about a trade to the Jets. But a contending team in search of a QB is a different story. The Vikings maybe? The Colts? The Texans? Or any other contending team in need of a QB and not in the NFC West? That's a possibility. Watch the first four games of the season closely. As I'm sure all fans will. If any QB suffers a long-term injury, then I think Mac's services come into play.

I think QBs would rather be a starter on a bad team over being a backup on a good team. Kind of like how coaches would rather be a headcoach for a bad team over being a coordinator for a good team.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
  • Posts: 156,372
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I am sure Mac WOULD NOT be thrilled about a trade to the Jets. But a contending team in search of a QB is a different story. The Vikings maybe? The Colts? The Texans? Or any other contending team in need of a QB and not in the NFC West? That's a possibility. Watch the first four games of the season closely. As I'm sure all fans will. If any QB suffers a long-term injury, then I think Mac's services come into play.

I think QBs would rather be a starter on a bad team over being a backup on a good team. Kind of like how coaches would rather be a headcoach for a bad team over being a coordinator for a good team.

seems like you didn't listen to Mac Jones when asked why he signed for two years as a back up with SF.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,559
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I thought he would have been traded by now. I'm sure there has been some interest. Some contending team is going to lose a QB, and then they will overpay for Mac. That's my prediction.

yeah it stinks. i think some teams are making bad QB decisions. like jets riding with Geno. they would be better served with Mac. but sometimes bad teams are gonna make bad moves, or are locked into bad moves, like watson with the browns. i guess it's a strong insurance policy so there's that but i was hopeful we would flip him for a solid pick

Agree with both of you, and I'll just add that i think ShanaLynch is asking too high a price for Mac. Kyle was able to let Trey Lance go for a fourth round pick. Mac is definitely better than Trey, but possibly asking for a day one pick is too high a price for many teams to pay. I think - if he wants a trade, he'll have to lower his trade ask to something thats more achievable *if* he's confident in letting Mac go and Brock's durability for this season.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I thought he would have been traded by now. I'm sure there has been some interest. Some contending team is going to lose a QB, and then they will overpay for Mac. That's my prediction.

What Bill said.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I thought he would have been traded by now. I'm sure there has been some interest. Some contending team is going to lose a QB, and then they will overpay for Mac. That's my prediction.

yeah it stinks. i think some teams are making bad QB decisions. like jets riding with Geno. they would be better served with Mac. but sometimes bad teams are gonna make bad moves, or are locked into bad moves, like watson with the browns. i guess it's a strong insurance policy so there's that but i was hopeful we would flip him for a solid pick

Agree with both of you, and I'll just add that i think ShanaLynch is asking too high a price for Mac. Kyle was able to let Trey Lance go for a fourth round pick. Mac is definitely better than Trey, but possibly asking for a day one pick is too high a price for many teams to pay. I think - if he wants a trade, he'll have to lower his trade ask to something thats more achievable *if* he's confident in letting Mac go and Brock's durability for this season.

Part of the cost for Mac in a trade is the loss of security for SF in QB depth for 2026. That raises the demand from a 2nd to a 1st.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 6, 2026 at 5:04 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
Part of the cost for Mac in a trade is the loss of security for SF in QB depth for 2026. That raises the demand from a 2nd to a 1st.

Translation: Mac isn't getting traded.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Translation: Mac isn't getting traded.

Not unless the Colts get desperate and Ballard Hail Mary's to save his job
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,128
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Translation: Mac isn't getting traded.

Not unless the Colts get desperate and Ballard Hail Mary's to save his job

I see the Dolphins trading for Mac Jones.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Sep 6, 2026 at 9:27 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,559
Originally posted by captveg:
Part of the cost for Mac in a trade is the loss of security for SF in QB depth for 2026. That raises the demand from a 2nd to a 1st.

Well if *Big if* -- ShanaLynch is confident in Kurtis Rourke, Mac can and should be traded. Again, big *if.* Otherwise, I agree, keep Mac for the entire 2026 season. As for Kurtis, I love his passing and his processing speed. But his durability is a question mark for me. I would love two day two picks for Mac. More draft capital, means more ability to replace our aging stars and keep that Superbowl window open.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,656
So many QB injuries already, each one feels like where closer to not having Mac. I love Mac but gotta let him go for right price
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone