LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 269 users in the forums

49ers sign QB Josh Dobbs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
this is a fringe starter caliber QB for nothing
he would be around QB32. he started for 3 teams over the last two years

Started due to injury in all cases. This is not a top 32 QB, lol. Hope he works out in any case.

Better than Pickett and Rudolph for sure . They both were starters last season at one point. Better than Jimmy G/Aiden O'Connell... I'd put him ahead of the Mac Jones/Zappe combo. He's definitely a top 32
Originally posted by fly15:
Lunch is known to be cheap

where to find this cheap lunch I am interested

My quote was around QB32, meaning in that ballpark. What's curious, is teams like Minny and Arz, and even TEN had backups, and they went out of their way to not start their backup and to add this man and start him.

Ten did start their backup first though (Malik Willis). And Minnesota eventually went in another direction, though to be fair Dobbs was midseason acquisition. AZ had a low round rookie as their only option.

This is a low end QB2 being paid like a low end QB2 outside of a rookie contract.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Why not? He did some good things with the Titans last seasons and the Cards and the Vikings this season.
He played in Kevin O'Connell's offense with the Vikings.
He's athletic, he can scramble.
Not bad. He's not worse than Darnold honestly.
My quote was around QB32, meaning in that ballpark. What's curious, is teams like Minny and Arz, and even TEN had backups, and they went out of their way to not start their backup and to add this man and start him.

Ten did start their backup first though (Malik Willis). And Minnesota eventually went in another direction, though to be fair Dobbs was midseason acquisition. AZ had a low round rookie as their only option.

This is a low end QB2 being paid like a low end QB2 outside of a rookie contract.

Who's a high end QB2?

Dobbs is better than Darnold IMO. Or at least, I like him more.
Best thing for him is a proper full offseason to absorb a system
Originally posted by pdc20:
Why not? He did some good things with the Titans last seasons and the Cards and the Vikings this season.

Kevin O'Connell certainly disagrees considering he just paid him 5x and had the choice of both.

That's not to say we should be paying 10 mill for a backup.
Originally posted by pdc20:

Kevin O'Connell certainly disagrees considering he just paid him 5x and had the choice of both.

That's not to say we should be paying 10 mill for a backup.

Yeah I think Darnold probably graduated to starter tier, however, Minny will draft a QB, their pre draft moves have all but announced it
Is this his nickname? Saw it on another site.

"The Passtronaut"
Yeah I think Darnold probably graduated to starter tier, however, Minny will draft a QB, their pre draft moves have all but announced it

Seems like a real possibility given the reports.

Starters don't make 10 mill in free agency my guy. High end backups do though (factoring cap increase).

*i guess with exception for Russ, lol.*
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Mar 18, 2024 at 4:22 PM ]

He's had his ups and downs as a starter but he's a good backup and I feel a lot better with him then Allen.

Seems like a real possibility given the reports.

Starters don't make 10 mill in free agency my guy. High end backups do though (factoring cap increase).

Starters make whatever they make. Last year Baker got I think $6.8 mil and yes it was in FA.
Dobbs got benched for Nick Mullens
A 2m+ guaranteed scout team qb doesn't sit well with me.

Then again the same FO gave Nate Sudfeld like 3m guaranteed. Imagine they didn't draft a qb in the seventh that year.
Starters make whatever they make. Last year Baker got I think $6.8 mil and yes it was in FA.
He was signed to compete with Kyle Trask. Note his contract this season.
He was signed to compete with Kyle Trask. Note his contract this season.

Yeah, I think that's in the cards for Sam or anyone, if they ball out. You get a halfway decent QB in Minny they are probably gonna ball out. That's JJ and Addison with TJ Hock and now Aaron Jones and a HC who played QB and schemes guys open. So Baker is a good model if I am Sam to shoot for.
Share 49ersWebzone