There are 264 users in the forums

Should the 49ers Have Deferred on the OT Kickoff

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should the 49ers Have Deferred on the OT Kickoff

Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
The Santa Clara 49ers have never won a Superbowl

By that reasoning neither have the New York Giants. The East Rutherford Giants on the other hand...
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
No, I think Shanahan made the right call to provide much needed relief to a gassed and hurt defense.

I would argue that it was the 49ers offense that didn't execute in clutch time that shifted the momentum to the Chiefs way by kicking a FG vs. scoring a touchdown.
Originally posted by Eli_23:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The idiot should have deferred. The WHOLE POINT is the KC was so excited and pumped up that they were getting the ball second. Gave them an EDGE mentally.

IF that didnt happen, things would have played out alot differently

If they did that Mahomes puts a TD in putting huge pressure on this offense and young QB. In addition to the tired defense. We did it right.

Then we would have gone for it on 4th and 4 at the 9 yard line. Giving Brock another chance to win the game.

And chances are we would go for 2 at that point.

Haven't seen anything to indicate Shanny would have gone for 2
Doesn't matter what they did. They were allowing free rushers at the QB every 3rd play. They had no chance absent a defensive score.
It's easy to Monday Morning QB. They made a field goal and were a 4th down stop away from winning the Super Bowl.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stanley:
1. The defense was just on the field and gassed.
2. If the Chiefs had the ball first they were probably going to score a TD.
3. If we then scored a TD the OT rules revert back to sudden death and the Chiefs get the ball.

Kyle was resting his defense and playing for 3rd possesion.

I have no problem with it.

Yeah, I don't understand why people are mad with taking the ball first. Like you said, it made perfect sense for Kyle to get the ball first.
Originally posted by mcwoot:
The idiot should have deferred. The WHOLE POINT is the KC was so excited and pumped up that they were getting the ball second. Gave them an EDGE mentally.

If they did that Mahomes puts a TD in putting huge pressure on this offense and young QB. In addition to the tired defense. We did it right.

Then we would have gone for it on 4th and 4 at the 9 yard line. Giving Brock another chance to win the game.

We don't know what Shanahan's strategy would be if he has second possession in the new playoff OT. His concern for the 3rd possession in Sudden Death provides an argument that he would possibly live or die by the 2 pointer in that scenario.
You see the field video of Juice saying to Kyle wait, they get the ball after no matter what? Like in disbelief Kyle went first. It was dumb. The extra down knowing both defenses were gassed is the golden advantage right there, nevermind having Mahmoes as your friggin qb.
Originally posted by GEEK:
No, I think Shanahan made the right call to provide much needed relief to a gassed and hurt defense.

I would argue that it was the 49ers offense that didn't execute in clutch time that shifted the momentum to the Chiefs way by kicking a FG vs. scoring a touchdown.

That was my thoughts as well. Our offense was rolling, in addition, if we scored a TD, it would have put more pressure on the Chief's offense.
  • titan
  • Veteran
No. Defense was gassed. We were a block away from a TD and putting the pressure on KC

Haven't seen anything to indicate Shanny wouldn't have gone for 2.
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Haven't seen anything to indicate Shanny wouldn't have gone for 2.

You guys think Shanny would allow Mahomes to have the 3rd possession with 4 down territory every time and a sudden death scenario? I think not.

Going for 2 would have been the only way had we had the ball 2nd and scored.
yes. only ppl saying no are niner homer fans who want to defend their coach. Maybe i missed something but the defense was still gassed and did not at all to stop KC So that didn't even work. .
Originally posted by lamontb:
yes. only ppl saying no are niner homer fans who want to defend their coach. Maybe i missed something but the defense was still gassed and did not at all to stop KC So that didn't even work. .

Exactly. They gave up the TD anyway. Just shoulda have accepted the fate that at the time, they could not stop Mahomes. The only way to take him out is to Score a TD and go for 2 for the win.
It's simple. You never let Mahomes have the ball last with a chance to win the game. He will win it everytime. So really the only hope to win when they chose to take the ball 1st is to score a TD and then get a 2 PT conversion.
Share 49ersWebzone