There are 282 users in the forums

Bill Belichick as DC ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Hopper:
His ego is too big to take that kind of demotion.

He might do it for a ring and no other team outside of KC gives him that. Unless you think he would rather want to sit on his rear and watch football on TV next year.

Exactly. The only reason this is even a thought is because (A) he's jobless for at least another season and it really depends what opportunities are available next year (B) he has a chance to win another ring outside of NE ala Tom Brady and he would get a lot of credit for it, and (C) he has nothing better to do — he doesn't have the personality to work as an analyst, so at least this will be a "break" from full fledged duties until something better comes up.

We know Kyle and Lynch are aggressive in these matters. Hell we just found out a couple weeks ago they were trying to coax Brady out of retirement bc they were unsure of Brock's status. We know Kyle has tried to get Stafford and Rodgers. So these type of home run moves are not unprecedented.

So although this thought was laughable a month ago, a jobless GOAT sitting at home might just want to add another ring to his collection. And he has a monster defense to work with.

Comeon Bill. Join the team !
We need a guy like Spags. An elite coordinator who has already tried and failed to be a HC. Having an elite mind who is fine being a coordinator for a few years would allow for some badly needed continuity. They were probably going for that with Wilkes, so it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out given his scheme is quite predictable. Do you go for continuity in hopes he adjusts and gets better, or do you scrap it again for a 4th coordinator in 4 years. I'm guessing he's going to stay unless there's a candidate out there the team feels very strongly about for the long-term. Bill B is not it.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Bring in " THE CHEAT " ... then I'd love to watch him just take over the team and punch (Buddy Ryan) out KYLE and his dumb playing calling and take over the team while KYLE just sits on the sideline w/a concussion looking like dumb HC

Sarcasm aside, it could actually be a good teaching point for young Kyle. Wouldn't hurt for a coaching guru to give him some advice once in a while on game mgmt decisions.

Of course this is two big egos we're trying to mesh but not outside the realm of possibility…
Originally posted by Chance:
We need a guy like Spags. An elite coordinator who has already tried and failed to be a HC. Having an elite mind who is fine being a coordinator for a few years would allow for some badly needed continuity. They were probably going for that with Wilkes, so it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out given his scheme is quite predictable. Do you go for continuity in hopes he adjusts and gets better, or do you scrap it again for a 4th coordinator in 4 years. I'm guessing he's going to stay unless there's a candidate out there the team feels very strongly about for the long-term. Bill B is not it.

Continuity and growth is a potential positive, but it would be weighed against whether or not the organization feels an upgrade is readily available.

You can't just fire him to fire him obviously.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

Keeping Wilks would be a disaster. Given the roster is pretty much the same going into 2024, if we decide to run it again and hope we win it will be a disastrous situation. Wilks was the weak spot on defense. Outside the 3 quarters of the SB, he severely underperformed. And you saw when it got tough in the 4th, he went right back to his vanilla schemes and Mahomes ripped us apart…
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Continuity and growth is a potential positive, but it would be weighed against whether or not the organization feels an upgrade is readily available.

You can't just fire him to fire him obviously.

Yup. It will be an interesting decision. I would like to see an upgrade for the right guy, but not for the sake of just getting a new face in the building and hoping it works better.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Finding a Spags is a pipe dream. Almost all coordinators are just looking for the next best gig that gets them a promotion to HC. We also missed out on that chance this year when Fangio joined Philly and that's going to be scary next year. Those guys are few and far in between and are rarely looking for work.

Personally a Bill B running the D would have won us the SB this year if he was on this coaching staff...a Bill B would win us one next year if we somehow got him in. He's been quite possibly the best organizer of NFL defenses in the league going back to the 80's when he was helping the Tuna curb stomp opponents to 2 SB wins before leaving.
I'm a hoodie homer, so I'd love to have him be the DC. I just don't think he'd want to be a coordinator, and even if he did, it wouldn't last long because some team will give him a HC shot next year.
Bring him in as an advisor
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'm a hoodie homer, so I'd love to have him be the DC. I just don't think he'd want to be a coordinator, and even if he did, it wouldn't last long because some team will give him a HC shot next year.

A 1 year rental is fine with me if that 1 year get us a superbowl

Originally posted by Oscar8325:
A 1 year rental is fine with me if that 1 year get us a superbowl

It would be interesting to see what the hoodie would do with this personnel given that he's soo flexible in his scheme and can literally run any front.

I think he'd dump the wide 9.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Hopper:
His ego is too big to take that kind of demotion.

He might do it for a ring and no other team outside of KC gives him that. Unless you think he would rather want to sit on his rear and watch football on TV next year.
That's what he's going to do.

Highly doubtful the guy who wanted complete football control and that's why teams didn't hire him would take a coordinator role.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

That's ok. It's not like he comes alone. He brings a staff with him. Give him the year to implement his defense. Then promote on of his guys to DC once he leaves for a head coaching gig.
Originally posted by DrEll:

That's ok. It's not like he comes alone. He brings a staff with him. Give him the year to implement his defense. Then promote on of his guys to DC once he leaves for a head coaching gig.

Why wouldn't he just take that staff with him to his HC gig?
Share 49ersWebzone