-
Monsterniner
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 2,591
What has happened to the Lions running game lately.
Las 3 games:
87.7 yrds/game (from 131.8)
3.6 yrds/carry (from 4.5)
5.3 first downs/game (from 7.1)
-
Martyjac
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 19
Well, the Niners have plenty of experience against Goff. They played against him enough when he was with the Rams. Yes, your formula is exactly what they need to do. I also noticed that with Goff, if you get to him early, he tends to get rattled. The Lions do have a very good receiving core, maybe as good as the Niners, so they will definitely need to get to Goff. And they will need to look out for bootlegs. They will probably need to blitz more than they did against Green Bay and Bosa needs to set the edge better than he has in other games. Sometimes he does that inside twist and takes himself out of position.
The Lions will probably sell out against the run. But I think the 49ers can put up 30 on them if they don't turn the ball over because their defensive secondary is poor to mediocre. It could be a shoot-out but it could also turn into a 49er decisive win if they play up to their standard. Again, I thought they played with intensity against the Packers. They were hitting hard. But I think they were sabotaged by an overly conservative game plan on defense. They let the Packers control the ball for long stretches and that has been a problem in all their losses. Partly because they just want to rely on a four-man rush and that doesn't get it against the better O-Lines like the Lions. The Lions will definitely be blitzing, often with their cornerbacks, and the Niners can take advantage of this on man-on-man coverage or quick throws to McCaffrey on the flank or to Deebo or Aiyuk..
Truthfully, the 49er offensive line is the weakest part of their team. They may need to keep the fullback in to block most of the time. And Purdy will need to make plays off script like he did against Green Bay. Maybe run a few times early to make them more cautious.
Another factor, the Lions have better special teams than the Niners. Campbell looks on them as an offensive weapon. You have to look out for fakes and they go for blocked kicks and even on-side kicks. And I hope Moody can kick off into the end zone because Niner coverage isn't great.
As for Shanahan, he is what he is. I don't see him changing. He's as stubborn as his dad. Hopefully that won't come into play like it did against Green Bay. The Niners record in close games under Shanahan is terrible and he's had a lot to do with that. What really bothers me about that is that he is not showing confidence in the players.
Weather doesn't look like it'll be a factor. It's supposed to be good.
I expect the Niners to win. But this Detroit team will compete ferociously. They reflect their coach. I maybe wouldn't say that if they were playing in Detroit. It will be a head-knocker for sure.
-
tohara3
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 30,859
Great post! I agree & can't wait for Sunday! The defense needs to hit Goff early & make it a long day for him for sure!
-
DRCHOWDER
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 21,814
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by tankle104:
i was disappointed to not see brown in. I guess brown has whiffed on some tackles but Logan worries me. He's older and doesn't seem physical. I'd be interested in if he can play the slot corner position at this age and have brown ar safety.
He was unemployed for a reason.
Bosa's effort in that play
-
SmokeyJoe
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 13,921
Originally posted by 49ersvsPackers:
It's 2 days later Niner fans and it still stings like hell.
Only ~8 more months to go before they play a meaningful game again. Hang in there bud!
-
Giedi
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 34,568
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
What in the actual f**k I thought I'd heard everything just now listening to a replay of first things first. I just heard the absolute 100% dumbest f**king thing in my entire life. Nick Wrigh… er Wrong actually says "I believe if the 49ers could choose to play this game in Detroit they would". Allegedly, because if there's inclement weather again, they don't wanna play at home anymore. Actually, yes Dips**t they still would rather play at home even if it's inclement weather which it's not going to be so you're the dumbest f**king piece of s**t moron in world history.
You guys keep tuning in to these hot take jocks and getting upset when they say things meant to provoke you. The worst thing you could do to them is just ignore them altogether.
+1
+2
P.S. for what it's worth. Lions starting center is hurting - sprained ankle (or something like that) and the Lions starting left guard (I think) is out with a slight torn knee ligament - or something like that.
-
Kolohe
- Hall of Fame
-
- Posts: 67,133
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
We had our bad game and survived. I really think they are gonna come out and light this garbage defense up. Think their offense can hang with us a little, but we pull away. 35-24 nfc champs
I think so too!!! I think the 9ers defense just shuts down Jared Goff.
-
lamontb
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 33,335
For thenlove of the football gods can we please watch the f**king screens. Gibbs is deadly and they have to stop being overly aggressive and read the screens
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 22, 2024 at 7:04 PM ]
-
49ersvsPackers
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 381
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Only ~8 more months to go before they play a meaningful game again. Hang in there bud!
We play you guys next season again in Lambeau.
-
eastie
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 2,514
I'm getting 1981 flashback vibes from Detroit fans. Reminds me of us that year. If we lose this game, I really hope Detroit takes it all the way to victory. But my biggest hope is that WE take it all the way to VICTORY!!!
-
BP13
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 7,710
Originally posted by 49ersvsPackers:
We play you guys next season again in Lambeau.
Yeah, GB is going to be a problem for the NFC for awhile
-
49ersvsPackers
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 381
Originally posted by BP13:
Yeah, GB is going to be a problem for the NFC for awhile
I don't know if we will compete. We always choke in the playoffs.
-
BP13
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 7,710
Originally posted by 49ersvsPackers:
Originally posted by BP13:
Yeah, GB is going to be a problem for the NFC for awhile
I don't know if we will compete. We always choke in the playoffs.
I don't think GB choked. They almost beat a 1 seed on the road. I was very impressed by that team.