There are 764 users in the forums
49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG
- ninerjok
- Veteran
- Posts: 19,662
- D0PEMAN
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,108
Originally posted by ninerjok:
What in the actual f**k I thought I'd heard everything just now listening to a replay of first things first. I just heard the absolute 100% dumbest f**king thing in my entire life. Nick Wrigh… er Wrong actually says "I believe if the 49ers could choose to play this game in Detroit they would". Allegedly, because if there's inclement weather again, they don't wanna play at home anymore. Actually, yes Dips**t they still would rather play at home even if it's inclement weather which it's not going to be so you're the dumbest f**king piece of s**t moron in world history.
yet u keep tuning in to watch and listen to their takes
idk what's worse, lol
- Dr_Bill_Walsh
- Veteran
- Posts: 20,669
Originally posted by ninerjok:Said DAMASCUS:
What in the actual f**k I thought I'd heard everything just now listening to a replay of first things first. I just heard the absolute 100% dumbest f**king thing in my entire life. Nick Wrigh… er Wrong actually says "I believe if the 49ers could choose to play this game in Detroit they would". Allegedly, because if there's inclement weather again, they don't wanna play at home anymore. Actually, yes Dips**t they still would rather play at home even if it's inclement weather which it's not going to be so you're the dumbest f**king piece of s**t moron in world history.
- YACBros85
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,899
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Sure but it will cost you $25 per hour spent working on it.
Our run defense's stats are far more important when the game is close. I am not sure why you think the opposite. The argument is that if we are in a close game against a top 5 rushing offense that our run defense won't hold up throughout the game. Hence, why I used only rushing stats when the game was close.
I don't think the opposite, lol.
What I don't agree with is the conclusion you seem to be drawing from this analysis and I also think it's missing the point of the comment you responded to (from Geidi) because that specifically is talking about # of attempts.
Our run defense isn't very good. It's tied for 10th in your analysis with four other teams (10-14) and this is just a pure YPA measurement. We are tied for 17th on the year (16-20) and are 26th in EPA/play. If you look at EPA/play it is better in the first half of games than it is in the 2nd half… that's one reason why just measuring attempts would at least be interesting.
What do we care what our run D EPA/play is in the second half of games when most of those games were blowouts in the 2nd half? That data is useless. The fact that our run D EPA/play is better in the 1st half as you said is far more important to discuss and strengthens my argument that our run D isn't bad like some here believe.
- SmokeyJoe
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,919
Originally posted by YACBros85:
What do we care what our run D EPA/play is in the second half of games when most of those games were blowouts in the 2nd half? That data is useless. The fact that our run D EPA/play is better in the 1st half as you said is far more important to discuss and furthers my point.
I went full dyslexia and just reversed it in my post. Just a typing error. I edited it. It's better in the 2nd half not the 1st. It is bottom of the league in the 1st and somewhat better in the 2nd.
- tankle104
- Veteran
- Posts: 26,574
Kyle Shanahan said he went with Logan Ryan over Ji'Ayir Brown at safety because of Logan's experience…
— Coach Yac 🗣 (@Coach_Yac) January 22, 2024
After seeing this I'm hoping Kyle switches it up and gives Brown the start in the NFCCG pic.twitter.com/qTyr5hAWvT
- ninersrule4
- Veteran
- Posts: 22,679
Originally posted by tankle104:
i was disappointed to not see brown in. I guess brown has whiffed on some tackles but Logan worries me. He's older and doesn't seem physical. I'd be interested in if he can play the slot corner position at this age and have brown ar safety.Kyle Shanahan said he went with Logan Ryan over Ji'Ayir Brown at safety because of Logan's experience…
— Coach Yac 🗣 (@Coach_Yac) January 22, 2024
After seeing this I'm hoping Kyle switches it up and gives Brown the start in the NFCCG pic.twitter.com/qTyr5hAWvT
He was unemployed for a reason.
- ninerfan4life
- Veteran
- Posts: 26,880
- 49erFaithful6
- Veteran
- Posts: 40,565
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by tankle104:
i was disappointed to not see brown in. I guess brown has whiffed on some tackles but Logan worries me. He's older and doesn't seem physical. I'd be interested in if he can play the slot corner position at this age and have brown ar safety.Kyle Shanahan said he went with Logan Ryan over Ji'Ayir Brown at safety because of Logan's experience…
— Coach Yac 🗣 (@Coach_Yac) January 22, 2024
After seeing this I'm hoping Kyle switches it up and gives Brown the start in the NFCCG pic.twitter.com/qTyr5hAWvT
He was unemployed for a reason.
Brown got smoked vs BAL, and I guess he was limited in prax, and they didn't want a limited in prax rook to play in playoffs, which is understandable. We got a lil bit of an issue, thankfully I don't recall Ryan being picked on or taken advantage of, that was more Ambry. Ryan spent much of his career at CB. Yeah I don't think he's gonna help you much in the run game.
- 49AllTheTime
- Veteran
- Posts: 73,004
Originally posted by tankle104:
i was disappointed to not see brown in. I guess brown has whiffed on some tackles but Logan worries me. He's older and doesn't seem physical. I'd be interested in if he can play the slot corner position at this age and have brown ar safety.Kyle Shanahan said he went with Logan Ryan over Ji'Ayir Brown at safety because of Logan's experience…
— Coach Yac 🗣 (@Coach_Yac) January 22, 2024
After seeing this I'm hoping Kyle switches it up and gives Brown the start in the NFCCG pic.twitter.com/qTyr5hAWvT
- YACBros85
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,899
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
What do we care what our run D EPA/play is in the second half of games when most of those games were blowouts in the 2nd half? That data is useless. The fact that our run D EPA/play is better in the 1st half as you said is far more important to discuss and furthers my point.
I went full dyslexia and just reversed it in my post. Just a typing error. I edited it. It's better in the 2nd half not the 1st. It is bottom of the league in the 1st and somewhat better in the 2nd.
80% of the data was collected from the 1st half of games. So that 4.1 YPA is mostly averaged from the first half of games. I still don't understand what your argument is.
- Alfienator
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,133
- SmokeyJoe
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,919
Originally posted by YACBros85:
80% of the data was collected from the 1st half of games. So that 4.1 YPA is mostly averaged from the first half of games. I still don't understand what your argument is.
I understand. YPA is not a complete picture of the success of a run defense. EPA/p we are 27th in the first half of games. I'm curious how you would explain the difference being a big stats guy. Are we going to dismiss one measurement for another? I don't mean that insultingly either because maybe there are reasons to be skeptical of certain measurements. YPA falls in that category for me. It's valuable, but with no context is lacking.
I've told you what my argument is multiple times too, and have presented it many times over the last few weeks: Our run defense isn't good. We have protected it by putting teams in position to have to go away from it in the second half of nearly every game we have won. That's what Geidi was getting at as well. That's why a chart showing attempts by quarters/halves/full games would have been more relevant IMO. Again, it makes total sense to see that we are slightly worse in YPA in the 2nd half of games, where we have had big leads the vast majority of the time, and it also makes sense that those runs have been less efficient (EPA) because they are less impactful in games where a team is down by multiple scores. When games are close (1st halves) we are one of the least efficient run defenses in the NFL according to EPA. In the second half of games, we're slightly better.
FWIW I'm pretty sure we were damn near at the bottom of the league in YPA as well just a few weeks ago. It certainly improved over the last few games.
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,426
Originally posted by ninerjok:
What in the actual f**k I thought I'd heard everything just now listening to a replay of first things first. I just heard the absolute 100% dumbest f**king thing in my entire life. Nick Wrigh… er Wrong actually says "I believe if the 49ers could choose to play this game in Detroit they would". Allegedly, because if there's inclement weather again, they don't wanna play at home anymore. Actually, yes Dips**t they still would rather play at home even if it's inclement weather which it's not going to be so you're the dumbest f**king piece of s**t moron in world history.
You guys keep tuning in to these hot take jocks and getting upset when they say things meant to provoke you. The worst thing you could do to them is just ignore them altogether.
- njninersfan420
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,161