Pre-Draft Tracker: Visits, Meetings, Workouts, Picks →

There are 264 users in the forums

OL Ilm Manning (2023 UDFA)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Foerester, who never hides anything about what he thinks:

How did your undrafted rookies do in their first ever NFL game? OL Corey Luciano, OL Ilm Manning and OL Joey Fisher?

"They all had first game issues. They didn't play as well as they could have. There were some mental errors, there were some physical breakdowns. Of the three guys, Ilm's really played very well this camp. And in the preseason game."


I don't know that his long-term career is at tackle, but he's played very well there. And you're right, he doesn't quite fit the prototype, but he's done a good job this preseason."

What do you see from Manning at guard or at center?
"He's got really good bend, flexibility, balance, things that you need inside. He's got good quickness. He'll have to learn. It's quicker; things happen, the steps have to be shorter. [OL Spencer] Burford goes through it a little bit still. He still sometimes kicks bigger like a tackle and needs to keep his feet underneath him a little more under control, like a guard. So, it's more of a quickness and I don't want to say quickness, it's more of just your footwork has to be, everything has to happen a little bit quicker at guard. And that's what Ilm will have to learn if he ever makes that transition in."

Dude seems like he could be fantastic at C but also excel at G with the ability to fill in at OT if necessary.

Have we found our next Brunskill?

That's a fair question. I think C would be a blast, honestly. But that requires a very cerebral player and I don't know enough about him in that facet yet. He's going to be a fun case study. At G, McGlinchey said, that's the most demanding position on the team (outside of QB).

He seems like a blue collar worker so maybe he becomes our next Jesse Sapolu!

@OTC & NC

Man we eye to eye, I literally was saying the same stuff about him in another thread!! I saw Ilm play a lot, being from Hawaii, dude played every game from the start. Now, trying not to be biased, he isn't great or anything like that, but he did do his job for the most part, especially compared to the rest of Hawaiis garbage bin oline. I don't think Tackle is his best position in the pros, I honestly think it's at C. He has great feet, really quick. What I don't know about is his mental capacity that the C requires in our scheme. But man, after this game, maybe he can play OT. Nobody can say he can't do it when he literally did it all of college. Maybe we really do have the next Brunskill in him and he can play all 5. Or maybe even better, Jesse Sapolu 2.0
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Foerester, who never hides anything about what he thinks:

How did your undrafted rookies do in their first ever NFL game? OL Corey Luciano, OL Ilm Manning and OL Joey Fisher?

"They all had first game issues. They didn't play as well as they could have. There were some mental errors, there were some physical breakdowns. Of the three guys, Ilm's really played very well this camp. And in the preseason game."


I don't know that his long-term career is at tackle, but he's played very well there. And you're right, he doesn't quite fit the prototype, but he's done a good job this preseason."

What do you see from Manning at guard or at center?
"He's got really good bend, flexibility, balance, things that you need inside. He's got good quickness. He'll have to learn. It's quicker; things happen, the steps have to be shorter. [OL Spencer] Burford goes through it a little bit still. He still sometimes kicks bigger like a tackle and needs to keep his feet underneath him a little more under control, like a guard. So, it's more of a quickness and I don't want to say quickness, it's more of just your footwork has to be, everything has to happen a little bit quicker at guard. And that's what Ilm will have to learn if he ever makes that transition in."

Dude seems like he could be fantastic at C but also excel at G with the ability to fill in at OT if necessary.

Have we found our next Brunskill?

That's a fair question. I think C would be a blast, honestly. But that requires a very cerebral player and I don't know enough about him in that facet yet. He's going to be a fun case study. At G, McGlinchey said, that's the most demanding position on the team (outside of QB).

He seems like a blue collar worker so maybe he becomes our next Jesse Sapolu!

@OTC & NC

Man we eye to eye, I literally was saying the same stuff about him in another thread!! I saw Ilm play a lot, being from Hawaii, dude played every game from the start. Now, trying not to be biased, he isn't great or anything like that, but he did do his job for the most part, especially compared to the rest of Hawaiis garbage bin oline. I don't think Tackle is his best position in the pros, I honestly think it's at C. He has great feet, really quick. What I don't know about is his mental capacity that the C requires in our scheme. But man, after this game, maybe he can play OT. Nobody can say he can't do it when he literally did it all of college. Maybe we really do have the next Brunskill in him and he can play all 5. Or maybe even better, Jesse Sapolu 2.0
To NC…

Guard is the most demanding in terms of conditioning for zone, is that what you mean?

Because a zone concept run, I would argue the tackles and center are most responsible for the success of the play.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Foerester, who never hides anything about what he thinks:

How did your undrafted rookies do in their first ever NFL game? OL Corey Luciano, OL Ilm Manning and OL Joey Fisher?

"They all had first game issues. They didn't play as well as they could have. There were some mental errors, there were some physical breakdowns. Of the three guys, Ilm's really played very well this camp. And in the preseason game."


I don't know that his long-term career is at tackle, but he's played very well there. And you're right, he doesn't quite fit the prototype, but he's done a good job this preseason."

What do you see from Manning at guard or at center?
"He's got really good bend, flexibility, balance, things that you need inside. He's got good quickness. He'll have to learn. It's quicker; things happen, the steps have to be shorter. [OL Spencer] Burford goes through it a little bit still. He still sometimes kicks bigger like a tackle and needs to keep his feet underneath him a little more under control, like a guard. So, it's more of a quickness and I don't want to say quickness, it's more of just your footwork has to be, everything has to happen a little bit quicker at guard. And that's what Ilm will have to learn if he ever makes that transition in."

Dude seems like he could be fantastic at C but also excel at G with the ability to fill in at OT if necessary.

Have we found our next Brunskill?

That's a fair question. I think C would be a blast, honestly. But that requires a very cerebral player and I don't know enough about him in that facet yet. He's going to be a fun case study. At G, McGlinchey said, that's the most demanding position on the team (outside of QB).

He seems like a blue collar worker so maybe he becomes our next Jesse Sapolu!

@OTC & NC

Man we eye to eye, I literally was saying the same stuff about him in another thread!! I saw Ilm play a lot, being from Hawaii, dude played every game from the start. Now, trying not to be biased, he isn't great or anything like that, but he did do his job for the most part, especially compared to the rest of Hawaiis garbage bin oline. I don't think Tackle is his best position in the pros, I honestly think it's at C. He has great feet, really quick. What I don't know about is his mental capacity that the C requires in our scheme. But man, after this game, maybe he can play OT. Nobody can say he can't do it when he literally did it all of college. Maybe we really do have the next Brunskill in him and he can play all 5. Or maybe even better, Jesse Sapolu 2.0
To NC…

Guard is the most demanding in terms of conditioning for zone, is that what you mean?

Because a zone concept run, I would argue the tackles and center are most responsible for the success of the play.

I'm not positive but I believe it's because of what is asked mentally within the scheme and physically esp. within an offense 25th in passing. These dudes are run blocking and run blocking on the move a ton. I'd imagine they have far more nuances in working with both the C and T too.

Mike McGlinchey on Guards in this System: 28:45 https://youtu.be/bD8dJPY-IGI

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of QB position."
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 17, 2023 at 3:32 PM ]
Eh, if it was really that crucial I think they'd be allocating significantly more $ towards the G position. It's clear it's OTs and C are the priority and where they will splurge. Not saying G is not demanding, but I think Mike was just being nice
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Eh, if it was really that crucial I think they'd be allocating significantly more $ towards the G position. It's clear it's OTs and C are the priority and where they will splurge. Not saying G is not demanding, but I think Mike was just being nice
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by elguapo:
That's some really good tape. I was hoping Fisher would play like this at T or now Guard but this guy is off to a great start

Fisher supposedly graded out pretty solid too. To me, the only locks on OL are Williams, Banks, Brendel, Burford, McKivitz, and Feliciano. That leaves at least 2, maybe 3 spots up for competition.

Zakelj made the team last year, but he looked horrible in the first game. Poe didn't look much better.

Early indications so far, IMO, say that Manning, Fisher, Ismael, Moore, and Watson have more of a shot for those last 2-3 spots.

Good call OTC!
Good interview w/Foerster

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/170860-transcript-chris-foerster-talks-o-line-ahead-49ers-broncos-preseason/
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Eh, if it was really that crucial I think they'd be allocating significantly more $ towards the G position. It's clear it's OTs and C are the priority and where they will splurge. Not saying G is not demanding, but I think Mike was just being nice

Yeah, especially C in this system. Most demanding doesn't necessarily mean most important.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Eh, if it was really that crucial I think they'd be allocating significantly more $ towards the G position. It's clear it's OTs and C are the priority and where they will splurge. Not saying G is not demanding, but I think Mike was just being nice

Do you have anymore GUM, more gum!!!!
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Yeah I'm starting to think Ilm Manning has a real shot at making the team, looked like the best OL out there Sunday.

It's interesting that he's on the shorter side and he will play LT. Lol I feel like he's built to be a savage at guard.

he's super experienced too. Nearly 70 games in college?! Jesus

Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Yeah I'm starting to think Ilm Manning has a real shot at making the team, looked like the best OL out there Sunday.

It's interesting that he's on the shorter side and he will play LT. Lol I feel like he's built to be a savage at guard.

he's super experienced too. Nearly 70 games in college?! Jesus

If that's the case and he eventually becomes starter material, do we kick out Burford to RT to replace McKivitz
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Yeah I'm starting to think Ilm Manning has a real shot at making the team, looked like the best OL out there Sunday.

It's interesting that he's on the shorter side and he will play LT. Lol I feel like he's built to be a savage at guard.

he's super experienced too. Nearly 70 games in college?! Jesus

If that's the case and he eventually becomes starter material, do we kick out Burford to RT to replace McKivitz

If he keeps doing well, I could see Manning being a strong contender to take over as the primary utility OL, replacing Feliciano going forward since Jon only has a one year deal.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Yeah I'm starting to think Ilm Manning has a real shot at making the team, looked like the best OL out there Sunday.

It's interesting that he's on the shorter side and he will play LT. Lol I feel like he's built to be a savage at guard.

he's super experienced too. Nearly 70 games in college?! Jesus

If that's the case and he eventually becomes starter material, do we kick out Burford to RT to replace McKivitz

If he keeps doing well, I could see Manning being a strong contender to take over as the primary utility OL, replacing Feliciano going forward since Jon only has a one year deal.

i know McKivitz is a ? right now I think we're solid at the other 4 positions of starters. I think our G backup is solid. We don't really have a reliable swing OT either. I think we are going to pay close attention to the waiver wire
Ilm Manning not just because he played at Hawaii, but I love UDFA OL. I hope and predict he makes the final 53. They might have to keep 9 OL which I am at peace with.

typical 5 starters
John Feliciano -back up center/guard
Jaylon Moore -Swing Tackle/Guard
Ilm Manning
Leroy Watson IV
Very intrigued by the thought of him moving to Center. For now, I don't care how tall he is, if he is getting it done at OT so be it. We need the help there.
Share 49ersWebzone