LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

49ers sign Toledo/ECU UDFA WR Isaiah Winstead

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

hopefully his tastes in music is the only bad thing about him
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I have a hard time understanding how no one was interested in a productive player with tools like this.

I imagine our FO had to be surprised he was even available.

Yeah, he timed slow as molasses, but so did Jarvis Landry, Jennings, and a number of other good pros.

what was his 40?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
40 time?

It was around 4.78 but he didn't attend the combine. His 20 yard was 4.44. I don't know where he was timed but that's what I found posted on his profile. Speed is important but it's not the only way a receiver can be productive. Running good routes and knowing how to release fro coverage is just as important. So is shielding the defender away from the ball and having good hands and catch radius. There ar efar more 4.6 receivers that have had good careers than guys that ran sub 4. He may be a good fit for Kyle's offense especially in the red zone.
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
I have a hard time understanding how no one was interested in a productive player with tools like this.

Yeah, he timed slow as molasses, but so did Jarvis Landry, Jennings, and a number of other good pros.

what was his 40?

I mean, Jennings ran a 4.72 so I don't think that time would prevent him from being able to contribute. Normally a guy like this would have suitors as a priority UDFA, but he had to wait, which was a bit surprising to me. Big bodied receiver with 1000 + yds and 6 TDs last year.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 4, 2023 at 8:15 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

what was his 40?

I mean, Jennings ran a 4.72 so I don't think that time would prevent him from being able to contribute. Normally a guy like this would have suitors as a priority UDFA, but he had to wait, which was a bit surprising to me. Big bodied receiver with 1000 + yds and 6 TDs last year.

Reminds me of T.O.
from DraftDiamonds:

6th year Senior, transferred to NCEA from VANO and OHTO. Above-average height/weight, long, big-bodied athlete with a solid upper body. A long strider with build-up speed. Does a nice job using his size to separate from his defenders. He uses his body to shield his defenders displaying good body control. A smooth and fluid route runner for his size with good hips and feet in and out of his brakes although is frequently inconsistent. Doesn't have a plan to get off press coverage. Would like to see him use his eyes and head to create separation in his routes. At times he showed poor route running ability. Displays questionable hands, dropping too many balls in the middle of the field. Fearful in traffic with below-average hand-eye coordination. Displays willingness although lacks confidence in run blocking. Shows laziness and no effort or physicality at the point of attack, exhibiting poor blocking technique which allows the defender to shed or make a play on the ball carrier. Demonstrates decent body control and ball skills, having the ability to go up and make a play on jump balls. Decent YAC, displaying speed and elusiveness with the ability to make defenders miss. In the 3rd quarter against NCST, he ran a deep out and before he ran out of bounds he gave the defender some physicality. Take plays off when not getting the ball. His team only gets the best out of him when the ball is coming his way. Specates a lot, doesn't run to the football.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Looks like a 6-4 Ayuik with his route running
Originally posted by scooterhd:
from DraftDiamonds:

6th year Senior, transferred to NCEA from VANO and OHTO. Above-average height/weight, long, big-bodied athlete with a solid upper body. A long strider with build-up speed. Does a nice job using his size to separate from his defenders. He uses his body to shield his defenders displaying good body control. A smooth and fluid route runner for his size with good hips and feet in and out of his brakes although is frequently inconsistent. Doesn't have a plan to get off press coverage. Would like to see him use his eyes and head to create separation in his routes. At times he showed poor route running ability. Displays questionable hands, dropping too many balls in the middle of the field. Fearful in traffic with below-average hand-eye coordination. Displays willingness although lacks confidence in run blocking. Shows laziness and no effort or physicality at the point of attack, exhibiting poor blocking technique which allows the defender to shed or make a play on the ball carrier. Demonstrates decent body control and ball skills, having the ability to go up and make a play on jump balls. Decent YAC, displaying speed and elusiveness with the ability to make defenders miss. In the 3rd quarter against NCST, he ran a deep out and before he ran out of bounds he gave the defender some physicality. Take plays off when not getting the ball. His team only gets the best out of him when the ball is coming his way. Specates a lot, doesn't run to the football.

Time to get rid of those bad habits if you want to stick around.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Looks like a 6-4 Ayuik with his route running

His route running needs a lot of work. His everything needs a lot of work really, it all just depends on how badly he wants to play at the next level. He has good physical talent and is tough to bring down in the open field but effort is going to determine everything. If he puts the work in, he should at least be a solid PS candidate.

Meh more interested to see how much Tay Martin has developed since last year.

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm trying to figure out his negatives as to why he went undrafted and wasnt even offered a camp invite. He looks like he would be better than Bell?

he seems to have incredible hands - anyone know his drop percentage?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
40 time?

It was around 4.78 but he didn't attend the combine. His 20 yard was 4.44. I don't know where he was timed but that's what I found posted on his profile. Speed is important but it's not the only way a receiver can be productive. Running good routes and knowing how to release fro coverage is just as important. So is shielding the defender away from the ball and having good hands and catch radius. There ar efar more 4.6 receivers that have had good careers than guys that ran sub 4. He may be a good fit for Kyle's offense especially in the red zone.

I think Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7 40 as well.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by scooterhd:
from DraftDiamonds:

Time to get rid of those bad habits if you want to stick around.

Sounds like a "me" first kinda guy? And not very excited to run block, that won't fly here. Lol no way in hell he has a chance if he keeps any of that.

maybe he just needs a good culture and better coaching around him to get his mind right? I feel like he will be a PS guy and given a year to get his habits right to see if he can replace jennings next year.

this guy is very talented but needs to work on his craft. I feel like he can be a gem if he gets his mind right.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Meh more interested to see how much Tay Martin has developed since last year.

That's the reality. Tay Martin has a better shot at making both the team and practice squad. But of course this guy is intriguing and will be fun to see what happens
Share 49ersWebzone