There are 226 users in the forums

DE Clelin Ferrell

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

We needed a pass rusher opposite Bosa and we may have found !!!

No Clowney, I'll take Ferrell !!!

but, why ONE year only??? sheezzz !!!
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
What's up with these one year signings. If they play well it sets them up for a better contract on a different team. We should be handing out at least 2 year deals. Sheesh
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
1st kind of head scratcher signing unless it is for the vet minimum and he is here to play 1st & 2nd down.
We need depth with the dline we lost in FA, so makes sense.
[ Edited by Alfienator on Mar 15, 2023 at 12:20 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Getting Soloman Thomas vibes. Overdrafted (not the player's fault), high character, plays the run well, but can't rush the passer. If he can pitch in as a 1st/2nd down player, that's fine.

This. On our team he may get 5-6 sacks and that's the same production as Ekubam or Omenihu so as long as he's less than 5-6 million it a good signing.

For sure he's less than $5. My guess is $2.

That's a solid signing then. With this DL and our awesome crackhead DL coach, this signing will be solid
Originally posted by DrEll:
What's up with these one year signings. If they play well it sets them up for a better contract on a different team. We should be handing out at least 2 year deals. Sheesh

If they bomb, your stuck with them.

1 year and then cash in is the incentive.
Buddy of mine who is a die hard Raider fan said that he is strong against the run, not overly effective at rushing the passer.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Buddy of mine who is a die hard Raider fan said that he is strong against the run, not overly effective at rushing the passer.

that's about to change here !! if he stays healthy, I say easy 12 !!

EZ 12 !!!!
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by DrEll:

If they bomb, your stuck with them.

1 year and then cash in is the incentive.

Yeah. They're kinda win/win. We get quality play and comp picks if they leave. The player gets a chance to revitalize their career and get a payday. We always find guys like this every year. It's our bread and butter in the off season.
  • thl408
Getting Soloman Thomas vibes. Overdrafted (not the player's fault), high character, plays the run well, but can't rush the passer. If he can pitch in as a 1st/2nd down player, that's fine.

This. On our team he may get 5-6 sacks and that's the same production as Ekubam or Omenihu so as long as he's less than 5-6 million it a good signing.

That's a solid signing then. With this DL and our awesome crackhead DL coach, this signing will be solid

You're thinking of our OL coach, and it's cokehead, not crackhead.

Nice. I imagine when surrounded by world beaters who are blowing stuff up like Nick and Hargrave now.. should give an easier path to the QB.. protections will be focused on those guys.

Well, just as long as he's good at one thing and doesn't suck at both.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
New Niner that balled at Clemson (Really I have no f**kin idea who this guy is, but hey, we HAVE GOOGLE)! And he is likely cheap.

Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Do we play him out of position like we did Solomon?

I don't think it mattered what position Soloman played. The Raiders put Ferrell at DT on some downs since he was ineffective at DE rushing the QB. I'm just reading this, it's not like I've watched Ferrell play.
https://www.thebarkermedia.com/features/the-clelin-ferrell-problem
He is a solid player against the run and fairly active in that regard but there is a massive hole in the young Raider's game made even bigger by the position he plays: Ferrell can't rush the quarterback.The Raiders are clearly aware of this or they would not have played him inside on passing downs. As a matter of fact, there were times Ferrell was not on the field at all in pass rushing situations.

Maybe he can shine with a better dline cast.

And a good DL coach that can work his magic. (see Arden Key, also a former Raider)

On one hand... I have low expectations that he'll shine with a better surrounding cast: Maxx Crosby was drafted the same year as him, and in 2021, Raiders added Yannick Ngakoue. He should've seen his share of 1 on 1's.

But on the other hand... I have optimism because 49ers Surrounding Cast > Raiders Surrounding Cast. We have Kocurek. We've had a number of unheralded defensive linemen flourish after coming here. He doesn't have to struggle with the pressure of fan disappointment with being a bust.

I can see him being productive here.

You're thinking of our OL coach, and it's cokehead, not crackhead.

Thats just wrong SMH
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I like this signing. This is a signing where he has to show up and make the team. Its not like they gave him $20 million.

Yeah, he's like the next Omenihu, Key, or Ebukam in Kuceric's system. Probably an edge setter and a rotational interior rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone