LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Looking at the last two drafts to put this draft in perspective

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'd like to highlight a few recent picks to draw some conclusions about this draft.

Aaron Banks and Drake Jackson- two years ago we took banks in round 2 to groom for year two. Last year we did the same for Jackson. While Banks didn't flash I conclude that Jackson showed more potential despite his late season fall off.

Conclusion- I feel a helluva lot better about Drake Jackson today then I did about Banks this time last year.

Talanoa Hufunga and this years draft for DB's- we've been needing CB help for several drafts and this years situation at safety was easy to foresee. We could resign Ward or more likely Gipson. However, we gotta know we need multiple safety's they either the draft of free agency. Likely both.
Conclusion- I expect a year 1 or year 2 starter at safety taken in this draft.

Spencer Burford, Zakelj, Jason Poe and this years draft- With 11 picks we can easy forecast reinforcements at either C, RT or both. Last year we basically drafted Burford who became as close to a plug and play guy at RG. I expect him to stay there and improve.
Conclusion-I expect at least 1 more similar pick this year at either Center or RT. Call it a hunch with data.

Samual Womack and Tariq Castro Fields and this draft- Last year we added two CB's in the draft. Womack flashed and likely takes a leap year 2. TCF at least proves they knew the need going forward. I expect Moseley to be a priority. I expect improvement from Womack and Lenoir.
Conclusion- I also expect 1-2 new bodies via the draft.

Main Point- I believe Drake Jackson is in line to start and feel confident with snaps he can outperform Ebukam/Omenihu on a snap for snap basis. Expect depth but Drake will have more then the 5 sacks last years #2 got. Next I expect at least 1 day 1 starter and a couple players who factor into the glaring needs were staring at this time of year. With questions at C, OT, CB, FS, DT I expect all of these to be addressed via the draft for at least someone to compete for either a starting spot, or rotational pieces or competition for either an incumbent or free agent signing. I feel better then most about what will be available at the bottom of the 3rd round. My approach would be going after BPA at one of those positions with all 3 picks. No trade up. Then throwing darts at the rest of those spots while also taking a secondary look at TE, edge, WR, and SS
With T Moore, Ward, and Gibson no longer under contract FS to me is our biggest need. Hopefully we can get Gibson back on a cheapish 1 year deal and draft the best FS available with 1 of our 3rds. I think we either resign Brendel (more likely) or MM (less likely) meaning RT would be my next option to compete with a possible mid teir vet and J Moore/Mckivitz. I'd go DL with our final 3rd rounder whether it's edge or DT. I assume we will resign Moseley, but with Jimmy ward leaving we might be in need of a slot cb. I think Womack is promising but hoping we draft another slot corner to compete. I think once we see what kind of cap restructuring we do and how FA goes which will give us a gauge what kind of players we will draft. Can't wait to see
Share 49ersWebzone