LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

What do we do now at QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I don't think a 50 year old QB is the answer?

How about we get some guys in here that can protect the QB, change our system to something that doesn't get QB's killed, or find coaches that can develop a QB?

If that fails, find a guy that can actually evaluate rookie or free agent Quarterbacks?

He certainly looks to be the answer for this coming season—at least in my view.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Look at Brady. He more than played well enough for Tampa this year despite a s**tty run game, poor pass blocking and an offensive scheme from 1991. I think Lance has a lot of talent but the last time he played anything more than a trivial amount of snaps was 2019. I don't want the whole season resting on a guy who mostly hasn't played for years and would still have a considerable number of growing pains to go through while this roster is loaded with talent.

I don't think Brady wants to go out on a sour note and it seems like Gronkowski is raring to go again. Let Marathe work out the financials and load up everything, go all in for next season.
It makes so much sense.

Brady would do so well in a Shanhan offense. Shanhan is so big on precision and timing, getting the ball out quickly. Brady would do so well with these weapons. You look at how much he's thrived with these YAC machines - guys like Edelman, James White, Gronk, etc. Could you imagine him with Kittle, McCaffery, Deebo, etc?

Brady has always wanted to play for the Niners. Move on from Lance, commit to Purdy, let Brady ride off into the sunset with one last season in San Fran.
Originally posted by BYisGod:

How about we get some guys in here that can protect the QB, change our system to something that doesn't get QB's killed, or find coaches that can develop a QB?

If that fails, find a guy that can actually evaluate rookie or free agent Quarterbacks?

He certainly looks to be the answer for this coming season—at least in my view.

What makes you think he would do well in our system? He's a 50 year old statue at this point.
Kyle will get Brady killed.
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
This injury might only be 6 months. People need to breathe here. Could still get a preseason game or 2 in if things go well. He's young so that should help this recovery.

If he needs the reconstructive surgery, then it's panic time.
Typically in baseball with TJS the players come back after, say, 9-12 amount of months, but it's really 1.5-2 years before they return to their original form. I wouldn't bank on him immediately stepping in at the end of his recovery timeline without any rust.

I agree that the extent of the surgery will make a difference, but I think what I said will apply either way.
Sign a new back up. Seems obvious.
I don't know if i can handle following this team anymore.
Originally posted by theduke85:
It makes so much sense.

Brady would do so well in a Shanhan offense. Shanhan is so big on precision and timing, getting the ball out quickly. Brady would do so well with these weapons. You look at how much he's thrived with these YAC machines - guys like Edelman, James White, Gronk, etc. Could you imagine him with Kittle, McCaffery, Deebo, etc?

Brady has always wanted to play for the Niners. Move on from Lance, commit to Purdy, let Brady ride off into the sunset with one last season in San Fran.

No he wouldn't. We need mobility in this offense. Jimmy being immobile limited this offense to a large degree. Would.be even more limited with Brady.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I said go get Tom Brady, and even though I'm no fan of Trey Lance, this is the time to see what he has. So I say, its Trey Lances team then go and draft the best available QB. If Trey Lance fails or gets injured again, the 49ers will always have Purdy later in the season.

The best thing QB can do to avoid injury is to process fast and get the ball out quickly. It's the ultimate way to neutralize a pass rush and limit hits on your QB. So, yeah, actually, a 50-year-old Brady makes a lot of sense, because he does that as well as anyone.
Look at Brady. He more than played well enough for Tampa this year despite a s**tty run game, poor pass blocking and an offensive scheme from 1991. I think Lance has a lot of talent but the last time he played anything more than a trivial amount of snaps was 2019. I don't want the whole season resting on a guy who mostly hasn't played for years and would still have a considerable number of growing pains to go through while this roster is loaded with talent.

I don't think Brady wants to go out on a sour note and it seems like Gronkowski is raring to go again. Let Marathe work out the financials and load up everything, go all in for next season.
It makes so much sense.

All this. If any team can be justified in buying a championship it's this one after the s**t luck they had with QB injuries.

It makes so much sense.

I mean, at the very least it will continue to give some fans the "Trey has no experience" excuse for another year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Sign a new back up. Seems obvious.

Go get Jarrett Stidham or Cooper Rush.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
It makes so much sense.

No he wouldn't. We need mobility in this offense. Jimmy being immobile limited this offense to a large degree. Would.be even more limited with Brady.
No, Garoppolo's inability to hit deep passes is what limited this offense. See: the end of the Super Bowl against KC.
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
This injury might only be 6 months. People need to breathe here. Could still get a preseason game or 2 in if things go well. He's young so that should help this recovery.

If he needs the reconstructive surgery, then it's panic time.

Best case scenario, he's back throwing in 6 months, maybe he gets back to his previous level in another 3-6 months after that, not to mention missing out on an offseason of development. At this point I'm expecting Purdy to be written off as a reliable starter until 2024.

I don't know a great deal about this injury but is that time correct? When I read he would be back in 6 months without the reconstructive surgery, I figured he would be throwing in 3-4 months and doing rehab.

Kind of like knee surgery where you aren't back until 6-9months but you can be running way sooner than that as you build it back.
  • dj43

It makes so much sense.

Yes, Brady is definitely in the mix at this point. We don't have to do anything with Lance unless we get a killer offer (we won't, he isn't worth anything at this point). Lance is at least the backup to Brady if Purdy's recovery is slower than expected. If Purdy recovers by TC, there is a competition for QB#2. That competition could result in QB#1 if Brady plays like a 46-year old man, which he did on a few occasions this past season.

In the short term, Brady now has a chance to buy another ring...if he is willing to pay the price - a one-year bargain-basement contract to allow the FO to sign/extend the guys we need. If he wants $30M, he won't get his ring.
Share 49ersWebzone