LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Are Wins a QB stat?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are Wins a QB stat?

Originally posted by YACBros85:
If it's the sole argument made for why a QB should be considered a great player, than no. If it is used along with other QB performance accolades, than fine. You can reference it.
YAC just locked this thread up ..boom
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes QB is involved in your wins. Which is why Brock Purdy and Jimmy G can do it. While a long string of QB's in that same system have not been able to do it.

People getting triggered by pointing out that Brock wins games seems so weird.

Especially when you point out Brock's winning percentage is a little bit better than Joes.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by boast:
i believe the debate was "are Wins a QB stat"

the NFL record book appears to prove that they are a QB stat.

Thanks, edited.

If we acknowledge they are an official stat kept by the NFL why is this even an open question for debate? It's settled.

hence the word "was"

Thanks, edited.

If we acknowledge they are an official stat kept by the NFL why is this even an open question for debate? It's settled.
a coffee table book is not official. if it was official it would be on the site..there is a reason why they don't include it
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Thanks, edited.

I think it's really a debate about influence on the win that's more of a debate. A player like Joe Burrow has a huge influence on the outcome. But we've seen QBs like Trent Dilfer have a smaller impact on the outcome. Just disingenuous arguments pointing out W/L records as a reason a QB is good or bad. It was a waste of time when I argued about it like 2 years ago and it still is a waste of time.

Is it an official thing the NFL keeps track of yes. Debating who is more responsible for the win or coming up with an advanced analytic on winshares per player that's a whole nother convo. This thread was created cuz ppl were in the Purdy thread saying QB wins aren't an actual stat there is no such thing. There is. You may not feel it's a good stat or something that holds a lot of water, fair enough.

Thanks, edited.

hence the word "was"

Yup. Done and dusted.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Thanks, edited.

a coffee table book is not official. if it was official it would be on the site..there is a reason why they don't include it

a coffee table book hahahahah. it's a PDF. the NFL made it easily searchable posting it that way.

and it's on the NFL site. and even more specifically it's the operations.nfl.com site.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-game/2022-nfl-record-and-fact-book/
[ Edited by boast on Jan 19, 2023 at 10:53 AM ]

Thanks, edited.

a coffee table book hahahahah. it's a PDF. the NFL made it easily searchable posting it that way.

and it's on the NFL site. and even more specifically it's the operations.nfl.com site.

MrAtt does crack me up with his posts
I think it's really a debate about influence on the win that's more of a debate. A player like Joe Burrow has a huge influence on the outcome. But we've seen QBs like Trent Dilfer have a smaller impact on the outcome. Just disingenuous arguments pointing out W/L records as a reason a QB is good or bad. It was a waste of time when I argued about it like 2 years ago and it still is a waste of time.

Yep. Dilfer gets some credit because he did not ruin games. But Manning deserves way more credit because he made games.

I think career W/L record holds significant weight. As that eliminates an outlier type season.

Thanks, edited.

it's a kids book.. there is a reason why you have to download it . parody

Thanks, edited.

Is it an official thing the NFL keeps track of yes. Debating who is more responsible for the win or coming up with an advanced analytic on winshares per player that's a whole nother convo. This thread was created cuz ppl were in the Purdy thread saying QB wins aren't an actual stat there is no such thing. There is. You may not feel it's a good stat or something that holds a lot of water, fair enough.

It's clearly a stat thats arbitrarily allocated to QBs.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JDTical:
Wins are only a QB stat whe it is convenient for the argument you are making.

So you're on the fence.
We happen to hear a lot about this stat as JG and now BP both win at outsized rates. They are winning a much larger percent of their starts than typical. NFL is a zero sum game so average would be .500. Every TV broadcast they show the QB record. They will do it again this Sunday.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

Thanks, edited.

it's a kids book.. there is a reason why you have to download it . parody

you really have no idea what youre talking about. it's downloadable because it's over 700 pages.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd say that it is only because they oversee the field. Just as the head coach. There's a reason the QB position is the most important in all of football.
Share 49ersWebzone