There are 135 users in the forums

Wildcard Round: Coaches Film Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Thoughts on the pass rush (front 4 and the blitz) heading into the matchup on Sunday?

I see us putting Ohmenihu on Martin. He's a beast and tough to beat, so use Ohmenihu with quickness and also to neutralize him on your best guys. From there, I see Bosa on the right side a bunch on Tyron, Ebukam on the LT because he's a big guy but the rook struggles on his kick step so use Ebukam's speed to also set up those stunts and twists and let Armstead feast on the LG.
Originally posted by Mankster:
Excellent breakdown. Always enjoy the video.

Side note: I sent the last couple to my 75 year old mother. She loved 'em! Said they really helped her better understand what was happening. Now THAT is an endorsement!

That really is an endorsement
She's in that legendary tier faithful.
Originally posted by Midbay:
Thanks Jonnydel. Excellent as always.

Hear a lot about how Dallas will try to disguise the defensive looks but you mention Shanahan dictating to defenses. Does Kyle scheming tend to limit the range of things defenses can reasonably try?

Absolutely.

Quinn likes to run c-1 man on early downs - at least he did vs WAS and TEN. Against TB he would make it look like C1-man a lot on runs downs and then back out into various forms of 2zone. invert-2, tampa-2, 22 zone. They were leaning in to Tampa bay and Tom checking to throw vs MOFC looks because Tampa Bay is not good running against 8-man boxes.

With Kyle, you run c-1 man on early downs he's going to split McCaffrey out wide and put Deebo in the backfield. Do you really want Anthony Barr or Vander Esch covering Deebo in man-coverage on a choice route? Do you really want a corner playing inside on run downs? He'll put Quinn in a bind on early downs to play zone and then test the rules of coverage and alignment.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Jan 18, 2023 at 10:29 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Hear a lot about how Dallas will try to disguise the defensive looks but you mention Shanahan dictating to defenses. Does Kyle scheming tend to limit the range of things defenses can reasonably try?

Absolutely.

Quinn likes to run c-1 man on early downs - at least he did vs WAS and TEN. Against TB he would make it look like C1-man a lot on runs downs and then back out into various forms of 2zone. invert-2, tampa-2, 22 zone. They were leaning in to Tampa bay and Tom checking to throw vs MOFC looks because Tampa Bay is not good running against 8-man boxes.

Will you be doing a DAL scouting video? SEA dared Brock to beat them by playing a lot of Cover3 to bolster the run defense. DAL might look at the SEA game and decide to play more Cover2, which would leave them susceptible to the between the tackles runs.

Absolutely.

With Kyle, you run c-1 man on early downs he's going to split McCaffrey out wide and put Deebo in the backfield. Do you really want Anthony Barr or Vander Esch covering Deebo in man-coverage on a choice route? Do you really want a corner playing inside on run downs? He'll put Quinn in a bind on early downs to play zone and then test the rules of coverage and alignment.

What's a MOFC look?
Originally posted by father49er:

Absolutely.

What's a MOFC look?

Middle of the field coverage.

Absolutely.

What's a MOFC look?

Middle of the field closed - so a safety in the middle of the field. MOFO is middle of the field open, or split safeties.
Originally posted by thl408:

Absolutely.

Will you be doing a DAL scouting video? SEA dared Brock to beat them by playing a lot of Cover3 to bolster the run defense. DAL might look at the SEA game and decide to play more Cover2, which would leave them susceptible to the between the tackles runs.

I've gotten through the TB film - on defense there wasn't a ton to glean from because of Tampa's offense being what it was other than what Quinn was doing vs Brady that I don't think will work against Kyle.

I've watched WAS and am gonna work on TEN when I get the NFL copy because I can watch all the defense and all the offense separately.
Excellent video as always.

I know this is a hard question, but how does Kyle compared to Mike Shanahan and Bill Walsh in terms of getting guys wide open?
Originally posted by libertyforever:

I know this is a hard question, but how does Kyle compared to Mike Shanahan and Bill Walsh in terms of getting guys wide open?

Well, I don't have any tape from Bill Walsh so there's no comparison I can make and I've never gone and looked at the Washington tape from the early 2010's.

Originally posted by libertyforever:

Well, I don't have any tape from Bill Walsh so there's no comparison I can make and I've never gone and looked at the Washington tape from the early 2010's.

I understand.

I was thinking more of 1992-1994 49ers, Steve Young had Mike Shanahan and weapons as good as what Purdy has today. Steve Young was like an outlier in terms efficiency stand point compared to the rest of the league. I supposed Purdy is very efficient right now, but there is a lot of room for improvement going forward.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Absolutely.

What's a MOFC look?

fail
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

Absolutely.

What's a MOFC look?

fail

Whatever. Same thing. It just means that there is a single high safety who is responsible for covering the middle of the field.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jan 19, 2023 at 3:16 AM ]
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

Absolutely.

What's a MOFC look?

fail

Whatever. Same thing. It just means that there is a single high safety who is responsible for covering the middle of the field.

Yeah, thanks. Nothing fail about the answer.
Share 49ersWebzone