There are 189 users in the forums

Would you trade Jimmy G right now for the picks that it took to move up to get Trey Lance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you trade Jimmy G right now for the picks that it took to move up to get Trey Lance?

since we most likely won't get those picks offered for Jimmy lets make it more sexy,

if lance was healthy this whole season and made progress this whole season like we expected to this point and we are 100% making the playoffs would you make that trade knowing how Jimmy G plays in the playoffs? I would, get our picks back and Trey Lance for the playoffs with games under his belt
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Nov 22, 2022 at 9:00 PM ]
Originally posted by mattster03:
Would much rather trade Trey to some team who would be foolish enough to take him for 2 1sts... hell one higher 1st at this point.

This. You gotta think. Ok what happens if Trey doesn't develop for another 2-3 years to reach a respectable level of play and you just wasted all the primes of your current roster. This roster is built for a mini dynasty about 2-3 years max I would say before deals start expiring and players get too old. By that time you are still seeing if Lance even has 'it' and you just potentially wasted a super bowl run each season. I would stick with Garoppolo or see if we can land A Rodgers.
Originally posted by 49ers_Life:
Originally posted by mattster03:
Would much rather trade Trey to some team who would be foolish enough to take him for 2 1sts... hell one higher 1st at this point.

This. You gotta think. Ok what happens if Trey doesn't develop for another 2-3 years to reach a respectable level of play and you just wasted all the primes of your current roster. This roster is built for a mini dynasty about 2-3 years max I would say before deals start expiring and players get too old. By that time you are still seeing if Lance even has 'it' and you just potentially wasted a super bowl run each season. I would stick with Garoppolo or see if we can land A Rodgers.
I mean..We waited 6 years for this jimmy
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
ABSOLUTELY.... If my plan was to lose the locker room FOREVER.

This. 100-percent this. The team would never forgive Shanahan or Lynch. A great collection of offensive and defensive talent would be torn apart. They would wind up on other teams. As 49er fans we would wonder "what if" for the rest of our lives.
Jimmy G has a no trade clause. Lock this s**t up!
I think I'll just sit back and enjoy this season's remaining games with Jimmy.
Off season is long enough for wandering minds to play around with GM stuff.
Jimmy and cmc for mahomes, do it
Originally posted by Furlow:
It took two 1st round picks to move up for Lance. Would you trade Jimmy G right now to get those picks back (assume we get the draft position that we gave up)? Means we'd finish the season with Purdy and move on to Trey next season, but then Trey would only have costed us our 2021 1st.

Discuss.

No. We have no one behind him but a rookie with no particular upside, and we're in first place in the division. That's madness. If Trey was healthy? In a New York minute. But he's not. And Purdy? Come on there is no way he's ready to hold Jimmy's jock at this point in his career.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Jimmy and cmc for mahomes, do it

That one is a laughably obvious yes. But I think you're making fun of the OP, right? I think it's a fair question to debate, as unrealistic as it is.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
and no playoff run? no.

The real question is would you trade Lance for those 2 firsts. Much more interesting question.

Its not even a debate. Of course you get the picks back.

And who is the young QB that has the talent he has in the past draft? There are none, and it's not even close. The trade was made because the team knew there wouldn't be any QBs worth taking until the upcoming draft, which means if you were drafting a QB then, he wouldn't be the starter until 2024. So yeah, the trade is fine, especially because of the big contracts that are going to be needed very soon (Bosa, for example). The decision to move on from Jimmy long term has already been made. He won't be back here unless it's on a below market contract, and if that were to happen, it will have outs for both sides, and worst case scenario you'd have Trey as a quality backup.

Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by Furlow:
It took two 1st round picks to move up for Lance. Would you trade Jimmy G right now to get those picks back (assume we get the draft position that we gave up)? Means we'd finish the season with Purdy and move on to Trey next season, but then Trey would only have costed us our 2021 1st.

Discuss.

Not a good question to ask after the guy posted 4 TD passes against Arizona. Pose this question after the Denver game and I'm sure the poll results would be flipped.

point being….Jimmy's biggest drawback is his inconsistency. It's what cost us the 2019 Superbowl and the 2021 NFCC game. He played good enough for 3 quarters and then an epic collapse where he can't even get a first down to seal the win.

Im glad he's on a roll. But history shows that Jimmy will fall from the heavens and fall down to earth pretty damn hard at some point.

He played well because the offensive line was blocking for him and then his pass blocking disappeared in the 4th quarter. Against KC, Chris Jones took over the game like JPP and Strahan against Brady. I'd argue that if you had Brady back there behind our line in the 4th quarter, we probably would've lost.

In the Rams game, the line fell apart against Von Miller and Donald. If your QB has no time to find an open receiver, he either takes a sack, throws the ball away, or turns it over. Our defense couldn't stop the pass or the run nor could they get any pressure on Stafford or Mahomes when it mattered most. It is idiotic to blame just Jimmy for the outcomes of those games without calling out the horrendous pass blocking and secondary meltdown.

Watch this and learn about what happened in the 4th quarter of the Superbowl from Jonnydel. It was a total team loss.
https://youtu.be/LNOnCJ9zQLU
Originally posted by titan:
I never wanted to get rid of JG and I still don't. The question should be how much will it cost Niners to sign a Super Bowl winning QB.

However much the franchise tag costs
Let the season play out. Sunday Jimmy can lay a stinker (like all QBs do) and we're back at square one when it comes to hot takes. Just enjoy the ride.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by titan:
I never wanted to get rid of JG and I still don't. The question should be how much will it cost Niners to sign a Super Bowl winning QB.

However much the franchise tag costs

Can't tag Jimmy though.
Share 49ersWebzone