LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

At what salary would you be OK keeping Jimmy for 2022?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Salary is only half of the issue. If we keep Jimmy as a back up, how will it affect the locker room?

As long as Trey plays well, it'll be alright, IMO.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Salary is only half of the issue. If we keep Jimmy as a back up, how will it affect the locker room?

It would be naive to think that Trey won't have at least 1 or 2 bad games this season.
His salary is fine for the type of player he is. Dee Ford is a bigger problem
Originally posted by pdizo916:

But Dee Ford's contract is guaranteed. Jimmy's isn't until Week 1. And Ford's contract became guaranteed this way because we kept restructuring it. Which is what we'll need to do to other contracts to keep Jimmy.

Keeping Jimmy may create another unintended consequence - Dee Ford situation.

No, dude's gotta go. The moment Lance tosses a INT or making a rookie mistake you're gonna have teammates and fans questioning not playing Jimmy.

Lance should be allowed to make those young mistakes without having that s**t breathing down his back...most cases that hurts a young QB not help them.

Jimmy needs to go play football somewhere else...as soon as SF moved up for a QB, he was playing on borrowed time to begin with.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

His salary is not fine as a backup QB or a guy that has no future on the team...who cares about Dee Ford at this point? He's gone in like a month. One guy's cash doesn't gtd until WK1 the others is set in stone, no sense crying about it now.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 16, 2022 at 6:38 AM ]
Salary is an issue but for me it's not the reason I want him gone. If Trey is going to develop I don't want to have Jimmy sitting there waiting for him to have a bad game. He needs to learn and take his lumps. If Trey struggles then so be it but this isn't a Joe/Steve situation. Trey needs to play and not be concerned about being pulled. I know some think the competition would be good for him but I think he'll have enough pressure trying to lead a team into the playoffs.
He's a $5-$6 million a year QB.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

No, dude's gotta go. The moment Lance tosses a INT or making a rookie mistake you're gonna have teammates and fans questioning not playing Jimmy.

Jimmy handled terrible fans doing it to him every...single...day just fine. Trey will be fine, too. If a little pressure hurts him that much it's obvious he's not very mentally capable. People are so terrified of a little competition. Stone sharpens stone imo.
[ Edited by RackofRibs49 on May 16, 2022 at 6:56 AM ]
Originally posted by RackofRibs49:

Jimmy handled terrible fans doing it to him every...single...day just fine. Trey will be fine, too. If a little pressure hurts him that much it's obvious he's not very mentally capable. People are so terrified of a little competition. Stone sharpens stone imo.

Its more about the locker room as a whole rather than just about Trey being afraid of competition.

• mayo49
  • Veteran

Agreed.

Jimmy was paid a f**k ton of cash after 5 games and had a collection of nothing behind him. Please tell me what pressure he had? There was no sit Jimmy after some bad plays...that was the QB and that's that.

No there shouldn't be "a little" competition at the QB position. The guy that's the starter NEEDS to be the starter from day 1. You got two QBs battling it out you don't have a starter. period.

Jimmy is gone and should be.
Agreed.

agreed to what? Jimmy had s**t given to him lol. What competition did he have when he got to SF? Dude played a game and a half prior to coming here...played 5 pointless games end of the year, got given one of the biggest QB contracts at the time and never had anyone worth a damn behind him to "push him" at all.

The moment SF moved up for a QB, Jimmy's time here was all but done. He got one year of SF being his team from OTAs on. That was always the plan, now it's not his team and there's a s**t ton of things pointing that out.

When you have a QB competition, you don't have a legit starter to begin with. Can you name me a true legit NFL starting QB that had to compete to be a starter in the off season? No you can't because that's not how it works at that position.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Agreed.

agreed to what? Jimmy had s**t given to him lol. What competition did he have when he got to SF? Dude played a game and a half prior to coming here...played 5 pointless games end of the year, got given one of the biggest QB contracts at the time and never had anyone worth a damn behind him to "push him" at all.

The moment SF moved up for a QB, Jimmy's time here was all but done. He got one year of SF being his team from OTAs on. That was always the plan, now it's not his team and there's a s**t ton of things pointing that out.

When you have a QB competition, you don't have a legit starter to begin with. Can you name me a true legit NFL starting QB that had to compete to be a starter in the off season? No you can't because that's not how it works at that position.

I just think Trey can handle it, if Jimmy is behind him.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

I don't want him on the team. I don't hate him, but any bad pass or mistake people will whisper about jimny

This. No amount. Appreciate your time and service Jimmy, now go away.
Share 49ersWebzone