Originally posted by dj43:
When I go back and look at some of his games his first year, I see pretty much the same player I am seeing now. On the TV broadcast yesterday, Darryll Johnson, not exactly a 49er homer, said he was amazed to see Purdy playing at a veteran level in that first Miami game and has continued since.
When Purdy is fully healthy, he is as good as there is in the NFL right now. It has always been a matter of health. I have no doubt we would have won the SB the year Reddick took out his elbow.
Yes, there may be some maturity but more than that, he has just seen more now and very little surprises him. He has answers.
I knew there was something special about Purdy that first Miami game when he came off the bench and absolutely torched them vs the blitz, and it was confirmed the next 2 weeks when he broke his ribs the first play of the TB game, picked them apart, and then went into Seattle on a short week with broken ribs and did the same thing.
I have the graphic of it on my phone, but even in his rookie year, he was #1 or top 5 AT LEAST in every single QB metric or stat among all NFL QB's from the time he came in to the end of the season.
He's gotten more comfortable, more aggressive and more experienced, but he has been a Top 5 QB since he first stepped on the scene, and this isn't an "opinion", this is what the results, stats and metrics show.