LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Yeah, I haven't watched much of his show/read his articles because the little I've seen of it is very… narrative based like some have said. Which I think is a poor excuse for journalism. I know some like some of the guests he has on. I don't judge anyone, you like what you like, he just isn't for me. I don't find him factually informative. I feel like he is always pushing agendas or doing what will cause issues for clicks.

i think some are skeptical of Purdy because it's not a large sample size, which is perfectly fine.but the crowd that I dislike is that they push false narratives on Brock because they see him as a threat to Lance. They view Lance as the second coming of mahommes or allen. So they want him to play and look at Brock as detracting from that. Which I think is nonsense. I personally think Brock has been special and want to see him play more before anyone else here does. I'm not sold on Lance at all, not that I think he will be a bad qb, but I don't see him as being special.

i don't want anything but a HOF QB. So whoever can do that, I'm fine with, but anything less and it's not good enough to me. I'm not interested in "damn good" "pretty good" "really good" etc, I want "amazing" "special" "HOF" etc.
Sounds like a recipe for spending a lot of your life being disappointed.

Well good to damn good have got us 0 super bowl wins. So, yeah. Very disappointing. Lol I guess you're okay with having six winning seasons in the last 20+ years and 2 super bowl losses (0 super bowl wins) & 4 NFCC losses, but I'm not. I'd like to actually have a happy end to our season.

but you do you, boo boo.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 3, 2023 at 12:53 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Only complaint I have a Brock Purdy is change that damn number from #13 to f**k I dunno #14 or #15 sorry Jennings.

If you know 'pager code' (yeah, I'm old). 13 is a B. I have no idea if that's why Brock chose #13.

edit: never mind, I'm so old I forgot pager code. a 'B' is an 8.

He chose 13 because he grew up a Marino fan.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by thl408:
Only complaint I have a Brock Purdy is change that damn number from #13 to f**k I dunno #14 or #15 sorry Jennings.

If you know 'pager code' (yeah, I'm old). 13 is a B. I have no idea if that's why Brock chose #13.

edit: never mind, I'm so old I forgot pager code. a 'B' is an 8.

He chose 13 because he grew up a Marino fan.

Correct. He was actually 14 originally but changed it to 13 when he made the team.

lol I think darnold is 14 now and Jennings is 15.
12 would have been better but it's retired. 13 is okay. Not the best number. Not the worst. I feel like 14 has yet to have its story told, so I probably would have stuck with it. Then again, Purdy is a Marino fan, so I get it.

Numbers I hate for QBs:
10. Don't even start about Jimmy. 10 is a wide receiver's number and I'll die on that hill.
2. Why? Why do you want to be Number Two? That's doo doo, that's ignorant. 2 is ugly and it means doo doo. Only kickers and maybe, _maybe_ corners should have that number.
8. Only one quarterback ever should wear 8 and that is Steve Young. It looked fantastic on him, and looks absolutely gross on everyone else.
15. Yuck. What an eyesore. Don't know what Mahomes was thinking. He should have kept his college number of 5.
16. Once again, only one player should ever wear 16, and that is Joe Montana. No one else can touch this number. He is the only one. It should be retired for everyone.
18. Manning be damned, this is a WR's number. Maybe a punter. No QB should wear this number.
19. Same. This is a WR's number.
11. This is also a WR's number.

Acceptable QB numbers: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14, 17.

That's it. A QB wearing any other number should result in a 15 yard penalty ever play he has that number on.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Yeah, I haven't watched much of his show/read his articles because the little I've seen of it is very… narrative based like some have said. Which I think is a poor excuse for journalism. I know some like some of the guests he has on. I don't judge anyone, you like what you like, he just isn't for me. I don't find him factually informative. I feel like he is always pushing agendas or doing what will cause issues for clicks.

i think some are skeptical of Purdy because it's not a large sample size, which is perfectly fine.but the crowd that I dislike is that they push false narratives on Brock because they see him as a threat to Lance. They view Lance as the second coming of mahommes or allen. So they want him to play and look at Brock as detracting from that. Which I think is nonsense. I personally think Brock has been special and want to see him play more before anyone else here does. I'm not sold on Lance at all, not that I think he will be a bad qb, but I don't see him as being special.

i don't want anything but a HOF QB. So whoever can do that, I'm fine with, but anything less and it's not good enough to me. I'm not interested in "damn good" "pretty good" "really good" etc, I want "amazing" "special" "HOF" etc.
Sounds like a recipe for spending a lot of your life being disappointed.

Well good to damn good have got us 0 super bowl wins. So, yeah. Very disappointing. Lol I guess you're okay with having six winning seasons in the last 20+ years and 2 super bowl losses (0 super bowl wins) & 4 NFCC losses, but I'm not. I'd like to actually have a happy end to our season.

but you do you, boo boo.

Green Bay had a first ballot Hall of Famer on their roster for 19 years. It got them one Super Bowl and a few NFC Championship game losses. The Niner's QB position has been pretty underwhelming since Steve Young retired but Jimmy helped them get to three NFC Championship games in four years. They had a chance in 2019 but the defense decided to take the 4th quarter off and Jimmy missed a throw that might have sealed it, a throw he had certainly made in the past. Just the breaks of the game. They might have made it to the Super Bowl last year if Brock hadn't gotten hurt. Just plain bad luck. Not sure they would have beaten Mahomes and the Chiefs. but they certainly would have been in the fight. They might have gotten there in 2011 if not for Kyle Williams, more bad luck, though Alex could have played better.

There seems to be this perception among 49er fans that they somehow "deserve" to have a HOF QB because, well, they had two in a row gosh darn it. It's not like HOF QBs are a dime a dozen and are just lying around waiting to be signed. Josh Allen has been a lot of poster's wet dream QB for the past few years. How many Super Bowls has he won? How many Super Bowls has he even gotten to? It's not always about the QB. Plenty of teams have won with a QB who was "good enough" to get the job done or played out of his head for one season and then never returned to that level of play. Winning Super Bowls is hard, a lot of things have to go right for that to happen so the challenge is to put together a team that, at least, gives you the chance to compete, which is what sports are all about. Since Kyle and John arrived, is seems the 49es have been doing a pretty good job of that. So, like I said, if your only acceptable level of play at the position is HOF caliber, then you are certainly going to have a lot of unhappy seasons.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
12 would have been better but it's retired. 13 is okay. Not the best number. Not the worst. I feel like 14 has yet to have its story told, so I probably would have stuck with it. Then again, Purdy is a Marino fan, so I get it.

Numbers I hate for QBs:
10. Don't even start about Jimmy. 10 is a wide receiver's number and I'll die on that hill.
2. Why? Why do you want to be Number Two? That's doo doo, that's ignorant. 2 is ugly and it means doo doo. Only kickers and maybe, _maybe_ corners should have that number.
8. Only one quarterback ever should wear 8 and that is Steve Young. It looked fantastic on him, and looks absolutely gross on everyone else.
15. Yuck. What an eyesore. Don't know what Mahomes was thinking. He should have kept his college number of 5.
16. Once again, only one player should ever wear 16, and that is Joe Montana. No one else can touch this number. He is the only one. It should be retired for everyone.
18. Manning be damned, this is a WR's number. Maybe a punter. No QB should wear this number.

That's it. A QB wearing any other number should result in a 15 yard penalty ever play he has that number on.

It's funny cause im weird about numbers too hahaha I think the player makers the number but there are numbers im eh on. I typically don't like the way 13 looks but it's growing on me with Purdy. Personally, I usually like 7 & up for QBs but I think 4 & 5 are cool on certain selections.

i think five looks good on Lance but I think 7 would of looked better on him.

let's hope Purdy makes 13 look as great as Marino did! And Lance carves out 5!

i will say, I love it when it a QB chose a number for a reason, you know? I respect that. Makes it more meaningful to them.

Numbers I hate for QBs:

For the record, Steve Spurrier and Alex Smith both wore #11 for the NIners and Earl Morrell wore it for the Colts. Sims for the Giants. Two notable QBs wore #14. HOF players Y.A Tittle and Dan Fouts.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Numbers I hate for QBs:

Bro #15 is a damn good number, it was worn by Bart Starr and like you said Patrick Mahomes. That's definitely a QB's number. But I wish Purdy took #9, same number as Drew Brees and who I think is similar to.

Numbers I hate for QBs:

Bro #15 is a damn good number, it was worn by Bart Starr and like you said Patrick Mahomes. That's definitely a QB's number. But I wish Purdy took #9, same number as Drew Brees and who I think is similar to.
Just cause great players where the number doesn't mean it's not ugly. It's not a single digit, so it doesn't look rebellious like 1 or 5 do on their own, and 1 and 5 have completely different thicknesses, so you screw up the central symmetry, and it's a round number in more ways than one (both numerical, as 5 is usually considered semi-round; and 5 literally has a rounded edge, meaning it has no cool jaggedness), but it's attached to a disgusting hang nail (the number 1).

9 would have been a great number. It's got a certain swishy swag to it, with that curl, yet rounded on the top, and centrally symmetrical, yet asymmetrical top to bottom. But unfortunately 9 was taken.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Numbers I hate for QBs:

For the record, Steve Spurrier and Alex Smith both wore #11 for the NIners and Earl Morrell wore it for the Colts. Sims for the Giants. Two notable QBs wore #14. HOF players Y.A Tittle and Dan Fouts.

Alex Smith is probably what ruined #11 for QBs for me. That or Drew Bledsoe. I hate two super skinny numbers competing for the negative space in the center of the jersey on a fat bellied QB. But it looks great on the tapered physique of a wide receiver.

#14 is a solid number for a QB which has yet to have its own lore in 49ers history after the invention of color television. Okay, how about after the advent of full football facemasks then. He should have stuck with 14 to fix the J.T. O'Sullivan curse. Instead he'll have to settle on fixing the Shaun Hill curse.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Cohnhead agrees with some posters in here.

disclaimer- I do not follow this clown. It Popped up on my timeline.

Why does he turn his head like a moron on his pfp

god everything he does is so lame, dude is such a loser

because his is a moron, if it wasnt for his daddy he wouldn't have his job
Oh hey there guys, what all have I missed?

this would be an amazing recovery imo. If he's ready and practicing well before the season.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Nothing. Can you make a post in a non-QB thread? Share your thoughts on Steve Wilks or something.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Nothing at all. Circular nonsense is still on rerun until TC.
Share 49ersWebzone