Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 487 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I have never seen Jimmy play at that level. Trey has played his entire career at that level.

I am not proclaiming him anything, I just think he can play the way we have seen him play.

I would say Jimmy played at a high enough level on a vastly worse team to get one of the largest contracts in NFL history (at that time)

I would say Jimmy was playing a high enough level for 4 games this yr prior to getting injured. I already gave you his stats from those games and it was pretty on par to what Brock was doing. The team overall scored more points though.

Kap was setting the league on fire and doing s**t that most teams have never seen at time.

im not saying Brock can't continue to do what he did. I need more than a couple games to be all in like everyone else. That's all

JG
96.2 passer rating
7/5 TD/INT
3.9% TD%

BP
107.3 passer rating
13/4 TD/INT
7.6 TD%

Not similar.

Woo, while I appreciate your stats, go back and throw on the 2017 tape he's playing with clown 1-10 guys around him, not a SB squad
to go unbeaten with a cast of 1-10 guys is as impressive to me if not more impressive
and JG lifted the PPG upon his arrival

this is from wikipedia for anyone who needs a refresher
notice the ppg lift, it was like +12 ppg!

The 49ers season largely turned around after they acquired quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots on October 30, 2017. At this point, the 49ers had a record of 0–8, dead last in the NFC. Garoppolo made his first start during Week 13 against the Chicago Bears and led them to a 15–14 win. Garoppolo won the final five games of the season for the 49ers, bringing the regular-season record to 6–10, the most wins by the team since the 2014 season. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers won 3 straight games over teams that eventually made the playoffs (Weeks 15–17 against the Titans, Jaguars, and Rams). From Weeks 1–12, the 49ers scored just 187 points (17 points per game), which was in the bottom half of the league. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers offense scored 144 points (28.8 points per game). The highlight of the year was during Week 16, the 49ers scored 44 points against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who had the NFL's top scoring defense at the time, allowing just 14.9 points per game. The 49ers finished the season by being the only team in the NFL to go undefeated in the month of December. The 49ers also became the first team in NFL history to start a season 0–9 and finish with more than three wins

Similar to what we saw this year when the team went from Jimmy to Brock.

yeah I say JG in 2017 that stretch was very similar to BP in 2022

LOL, no. The improvement under rather offense when the team went from Hoyer/CJ to Jimmy was no better than what we saw from Trey/JG to Brock.

Crazy claim.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Nah
I realize there is a difference but the gap is massive.

You also said Minshew accomplished as much as Brock and equated the two.

Lol straight to deflecting. Good talk.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I have never seen Jimmy play at that level. Trey has played his entire career at that level.

I am not proclaiming him anything, I just think he can play the way we have seen him play.

I would say Jimmy played at a high enough level on a vastly worse team to get one of the largest contracts in NFL history (at that time)

I would say Jimmy was playing a high enough level for 4 games this yr prior to getting injured. I already gave you his stats from those games and it was pretty on par to what Brock was doing. The team overall scored more points though.

Kap was setting the league on fire and doing s**t that most teams have never seen at time.

im not saying Brock can't continue to do what he did. I need more than a couple games to be all in like everyone else. That's all

JG
96.2 passer rating
7/5 TD/INT
3.9% TD%

BP
107.3 passer rating
13/4 TD/INT
7.6 TD%

Not similar.

Woo, while I appreciate your stats, go back and throw on the 2017 tape he's playing with clown 1-10 guys around him, not a SB squad
to go unbeaten with a cast of 1-10 guys is as impressive to me if not more impressive
and JG lifted the PPG upon his arrival

this is from wikipedia for anyone who needs a refresher
notice the ppg lift, it was like +12 ppg!

The 49ers season largely turned around after they acquired quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots on October 30, 2017. At this point, the 49ers had a record of 0–8, dead last in the NFC. Garoppolo made his first start during Week 13 against the Chicago Bears and led them to a 15–14 win. Garoppolo won the final five games of the season for the 49ers, bringing the regular-season record to 6–10, the most wins by the team since the 2014 season. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers won 3 straight games over teams that eventually made the playoffs (Weeks 15–17 against the Titans, Jaguars, and Rams). From Weeks 1–12, the 49ers scored just 187 points (17 points per game), which was in the bottom half of the league. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers offense scored 144 points (28.8 points per game). The highlight of the year was during Week 16, the 49ers scored 44 points against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who had the NFL's top scoring defense at the time, allowing just 14.9 points per game. The 49ers finished the season by being the only team in the NFL to go undefeated in the month of December. The 49ers also became the first team in NFL history to start a season 0–9 and finish with more than three wins

Similar to what we saw this year when the team went from Jimmy to Brock.

yeah I say JG in 2017 that stretch was very similar to BP in 2022

LOL, no. The improvement under rather offense when the team went from Hoyer/CJ to Jimmy was no better than what we saw from Trey/JG to Brock.

Crazy claim.

How so?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Brock Purdy played at an elite level last year

Nick Foles did for a couple games too. Where's he at?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Brock Purdy played at an elite level last year

Nick Foles did for a couple games too. Where's he at?

Why does a simple and factual ositive statement about the 49ers starting QB trigger you to make a negative comment as a reply?

It is your default reply to any praise of how Brock played.


Also, it is stupid to say that Foles started out his career as well as Brock or that Foles played at an elite level last year because neither are true.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I have never seen Jimmy play at that level. Trey has played his entire career at that level.

I am not proclaiming him anything, I just think he can play the way we have seen him play.

I would say Jimmy played at a high enough level on a vastly worse team to get one of the largest contracts in NFL history (at that time)

I would say Jimmy was playing a high enough level for 4 games this yr prior to getting injured. I already gave you his stats from those games and it was pretty on par to what Brock was doing. The team overall scored more points though.

Kap was setting the league on fire and doing s**t that most teams have never seen at time.

im not saying Brock can't continue to do what he did. I need more than a couple games to be all in like everyone else. That's all

JG
96.2 passer rating
7/5 TD/INT
3.9% TD%

BP
107.3 passer rating
13/4 TD/INT
7.6 TD%

Not similar.

Woo, while I appreciate your stats, go back and throw on the 2017 tape he's playing with clown 1-10 guys around him, not a SB squad
to go unbeaten with a cast of 1-10 guys is as impressive to me if not more impressive
and JG lifted the PPG upon his arrival

this is from wikipedia for anyone who needs a refresher
notice the ppg lift, it was like +12 ppg!

The 49ers season largely turned around after they acquired quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots on October 30, 2017. At this point, the 49ers had a record of 0–8, dead last in the NFC. Garoppolo made his first start during Week 13 against the Chicago Bears and led them to a 15–14 win. Garoppolo won the final five games of the season for the 49ers, bringing the regular-season record to 6–10, the most wins by the team since the 2014 season. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers won 3 straight games over teams that eventually made the playoffs (Weeks 15–17 against the Titans, Jaguars, and Rams). From Weeks 1–12, the 49ers scored just 187 points (17 points per game), which was in the bottom half of the league. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers offense scored 144 points (28.8 points per game). The highlight of the year was during Week 16, the 49ers scored 44 points against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who had the NFL's top scoring defense at the time, allowing just 14.9 points per game. The 49ers finished the season by being the only team in the NFL to go undefeated in the month of December. The 49ers also became the first team in NFL history to start a season 0–9 and finish with more than three wins

Similar to what we saw this year when the team went from Jimmy to Brock.

yeah I say JG in 2017 that stretch was very similar to BP in 2022

LOL, no. The improvement under rather offense when the team went from Hoyer/CJ to Jimmy was no better than what we saw from Trey/JG to Brock.

Crazy claim.

How so?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
See I don't think colt mccoy had ALL the mental stuff. I think few QBs do. You can have experience and it won't mean anything if you don't have the proper fixings mentally.

do I think Brock has the unique mixture? Yes. Did I think Jimmy did initially, yes. Jimmy proved me wrong and I improved upon that. I want to see more of Brock before I 1000% commit to him. He showed what you want to see though in his small sample size.

What I'm saying is you can have all the physical attributes but not the mental, and you're useless/mediocre. You can have half of the mental attributes/half the physical stuff and be solid.

You can have all the great mental stuff and half the physical stuff and be an all time great. I just believe the mental stuff outweighs the physical by and large.

physical stuff only means something if you have the mental stuff right. What is the mental stuff? Who knows, no one has been able to measure it. Which makes it so hard to find.

i just think my formula is much more accurate towards a great qb than your formula. Not that you're dumb or don't know what you're talking about, just different perspectives. I like your input. It challenges me

Why do you think he didn't? How do you think he won so many games in college? Same with Kellen moore who's now a OC in the league? Neither had good arms or elite physical traits, not even at the college level. They did however win more games than anyone in college history.

you thinking that Brock has that based off a couple games is a bit much. Where was all that in college? He had 4 yrs to show that and overall didn't. Bad reads. Accuracy wasn't great. It's not like he didn't have NFL talent or a damn good HC either.

I don't think Jimmy proved anything good or bad. He's just an avg starting level QB with not many elite traits that played on a great roster/elite play caller. As he played more the truth of what he is came out. Always does.

its f**king hard to be an elite level QB in this league. Even more so when you're margin of error is smaller than others

It's hard for me to explain, it's more of an eye test than anything. When I watched them, I saw them run plays really well and execute what they were asked, but not anything outside of that on a consistent basis.

it is extremely hard to be an elite lvl qb. Ridiculously hard. When we see such a mixture of physically Talented guys, I think it has more to do with the mind than anything. "The mind" equals tons of things btw. Just not physical
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,414
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
How saw? Which metric are you using? I'm going off of the MPH thing and he was surprisingly high

I'm going off watching games. I don't really care about MPH. Watson had an awful MPH and no one is questioning his arm.

I'd say his arm is in the lower echelon of starting NFL ABs
We've been through this before.

Purdy gained a good deal of arm strength/speed between the end of the college season and TC. It was reported that his ball speed measured above average in comparison to other starting QBs around the league. I don't have time right now to search for the specific post that detailed the speeds.

Purdy proved he could be effective off several platforms last season. The only question is whether or not he will still be able to do that. We won't know until he gets on the field again, however, comparable situations suggests he will.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I have never seen Jimmy play at that level. Trey has played his entire career at that level.

I am not proclaiming him anything, I just think he can play the way we have seen him play.

I would say Jimmy played at a high enough level on a vastly worse team to get one of the largest contracts in NFL history (at that time)

I would say Jimmy was playing a high enough level for 4 games this yr prior to getting injured. I already gave you his stats from those games and it was pretty on par to what Brock was doing. The team overall scored more points though.

Kap was setting the league on fire and doing s**t that most teams have never seen at time.

im not saying Brock can't continue to do what he did. I need more than a couple games to be all in like everyone else. That's all

JG
96.2 passer rating
7/5 TD/INT
3.9% TD%

BP
107.3 passer rating
13/4 TD/INT
7.6 TD%

Not similar.

Woo, while I appreciate your stats, go back and throw on the 2017 tape he's playing with clown 1-10 guys around him, not a SB squad
to go unbeaten with a cast of 1-10 guys is as impressive to me if not more impressive
and JG lifted the PPG upon his arrival

this is from wikipedia for anyone who needs a refresher
notice the ppg lift, it was like +12 ppg!

The 49ers season largely turned around after they acquired quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots on October 30, 2017. At this point, the 49ers had a record of 0–8, dead last in the NFC. Garoppolo made his first start during Week 13 against the Chicago Bears and led them to a 15–14 win. Garoppolo won the final five games of the season for the 49ers, bringing the regular-season record to 6–10, the most wins by the team since the 2014 season. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers won 3 straight games over teams that eventually made the playoffs (Weeks 15–17 against the Titans, Jaguars, and Rams). From Weeks 1–12, the 49ers scored just 187 points (17 points per game), which was in the bottom half of the league. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers offense scored 144 points (28.8 points per game). The highlight of the year was during Week 16, the 49ers scored 44 points against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who had the NFL's top scoring defense at the time, allowing just 14.9 points per game. The 49ers finished the season by being the only team in the NFL to go undefeated in the month of December. The 49ers also became the first team in NFL history to start a season 0–9 and finish with more than three wins

Similar to what we saw this year when the team went from Jimmy to Brock.

yeah I say JG in 2017 that stretch was very similar to BP in 2022

LOL, no. The improvement under rather offense when the team went from Hoyer/CJ to Jimmy was no better than what we saw from Trey/JG to Brock.

what do you mean no? I said they were very similar. Saying it was no better in 2017.. vs 2022.. does that mean perhaps it was, 'the same'? That would be my point, the same or close to it.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Why does a simple and factual ositive statement about the 49ers starting QB trigger you to make a negative comment as a reply?

It is your default reply to any praise of how Brock played.

Also, it is stupid to say that Foles started out his career as well as Brock or that Foles played at an elite level last year because neither are true.

And your default comment to randomly bring up Minshew all the same.

Foles has a 10 game stretch his second yr in the league where he competed 65% of his passes and 27 TDs to 2 INTs. Where is he now? Mayfield broke the rookie TD record in 13 games on the worst team in the league with hue jackson. Where is he now?

my point is players can have good stretches and when given more time turn out to be what we thought. We've seen it twice here. I hope it's not the same with Brock. I'm just gonna hold out until I see more.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
How saw? Which metric are you using? I'm going off of the MPH thing and he was surprisingly high

I'm going off watching games. I don't really care about MPH. Watson had an awful MPH and no one is questioning his arm.

I'd say his arm is in the lower echelon of starting NFL ABs
We've been through this before.

Purdy gained a good deal of arm strength/speed between the end of the college season and TC. It was reported that his ball speed measured above average in comparison to other starting QBs around the league. I don't have time right now to search for the specific post that detailed the speeds.

Purdy proved he could be effective off several platforms last season. The only question is whether or not he will still be able to do that. We won't know until he gets on the field again, however, comparable situations suggests he will.

Yup. Nice post dj. I remember that too. Expect the rebuttal to be, I don't care how fast a quarterback can throw the ball, even though that does signify arm strength.

Let's not forget Brock broke a ton of rookie records and was an elite company with Kurt Warner Justin Herbert I believe even Dan Marino on some accomplishments. He also did a LOT of this without Deebo Samuel so saying his roster was completely stacked on offense is not accurate.
[ Edited by elguapo on May 17, 2023 at 1:44 PM ]
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I have never seen Jimmy play at that level. Trey has played his entire career at that level.

I am not proclaiming him anything, I just think he can play the way we have seen him play.

I would say Jimmy played at a high enough level on a vastly worse team to get one of the largest contracts in NFL history (at that time)

I would say Jimmy was playing a high enough level for 4 games this yr prior to getting injured. I already gave you his stats from those games and it was pretty on par to what Brock was doing. The team overall scored more points though.

Kap was setting the league on fire and doing s**t that most teams have never seen at time.

im not saying Brock can't continue to do what he did. I need more than a couple games to be all in like everyone else. That's all

JG
96.2 passer rating
7/5 TD/INT
3.9% TD%

BP
107.3 passer rating
13/4 TD/INT
7.6 TD%

Not similar.

Woo, while I appreciate your stats, go back and throw on the 2017 tape he's playing with clown 1-10 guys around him, not a SB squad
to go unbeaten with a cast of 1-10 guys is as impressive to me if not more impressive
and JG lifted the PPG upon his arrival

this is from wikipedia for anyone who needs a refresher
notice the ppg lift, it was like +12 ppg!

The 49ers season largely turned around after they acquired quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo from the New England Patriots on October 30, 2017. At this point, the 49ers had a record of 0–8, dead last in the NFC. Garoppolo made his first start during Week 13 against the Chicago Bears and led them to a 15–14 win. Garoppolo won the final five games of the season for the 49ers, bringing the regular-season record to 6–10, the most wins by the team since the 2014 season. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers won 3 straight games over teams that eventually made the playoffs (Weeks 15–17 against the Titans, Jaguars, and Rams). From Weeks 1–12, the 49ers scored just 187 points (17 points per game), which was in the bottom half of the league. During the 5-game win streak, the 49ers offense scored 144 points (28.8 points per game). The highlight of the year was during Week 16, the 49ers scored 44 points against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who had the NFL's top scoring defense at the time, allowing just 14.9 points per game. The 49ers finished the season by being the only team in the NFL to go undefeated in the month of December. The 49ers also became the first team in NFL history to start a season 0–9 and finish with more than three wins

Similar to what we saw this year when the team went from Jimmy to Brock.

yeah I say JG in 2017 that stretch was very similar to BP in 2022

LOL, no. The improvement under rather offense when the team went from Hoyer/CJ to Jimmy was no better than what we saw from Trey/JG to Brock.

Crazy claim.

How so?

We went from the 26th passing offense in the league under Hoyer/Beathard to the 1 passing offense under Jimmy in 2017. We were the 6th best passing offense in 2022 before Purdy took over and the 2nd best under Purdy, but we actually were already the 2nd best passing offense if you look at only the weeks where CMC and Jimmy played. This is all in terms of EPA/play pulled from https://rbsdm.com/stats/stats/.
Originally posted by tankle104:
It's hard for me to explain, it's more of an eye test than anything. When I watched them, I saw them run plays really well and execute what they were asked, but not anything outside of that on a consistent basis.

it is extremely hard to be an elite lvl qb. Ridiculously hard. When we see such a mixture of physically Talented guys, I think it has more to do with the mind than anything. "The mind" equals tons of things btw. Just not physical

It's cool it's an opinion. Honestly I think a lot of it is more hope than anything else so people view it a certain way. I got hope, I'm also not a fool and I need to see more before jumping into the deep end.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
It's cool it's an opinion. Honestly I think a lot of it is more hope than anything else so people view it a certain way. I got hope, I'm also not a fool and I need to see more before jumping into the deep end.

Yah to suggest he's now better than a litany of starting qbs in this league off that small sample is ridiculous. Can be hopeful without going full homer.
Originally posted by dj43:
We've been through this before.

Purdy gained a good deal of arm strength/speed between the end of the college season and TC. It was reported that his ball speed measured above average in comparison to other starting QBs around the league. I don't have time right now to search for the specific post that detailed the speeds.

Purdy proved he could be effective off several platforms last season. The only question is whether or not he will still be able to do that. We won't know until he gets on the field again, however, comparable situations suggests he will.

And? I've read the article. I don't care about ball speed. You know who has one of the highest MPH? Kirk cousins. You know who has one of the lowest ever? Watson. Sitting there trying to throw a ball as hard as possible not in game doesn't impress me overall.

In game play is what I'm seeing and his arm talent overall is towards the lower end of starting NFL QBs. Running and throwing a ball downfield (where you can't reset and throw), throwing a 20 yard out route on a rope…that's the stuff that shows arm strength. He's got plays of underthrowing balls in those situations in game. It's why I said he needs to throw with more anticipation then some.

I will disagree with what you think his arm is all day. Not a strength overall. I would say Jimmy has a stronger arm, he just never used it

again it doesn't mean he can't be a great QB. It does limit some stuff.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone