There are 103 users in the forums

2022 Off-Season Transactions, Rumors, Possible Targets, Projected Replacements

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Felt it would be nice to have a focused place to discuss gains, losses, and rumored interests for our squad, as well as projected replacements. This is what we've got so far..

GAINS
DT HASSAN RIDGEWAY
CB CHAVARIUS WARD
S GEORGE ODUM
LB OREN BURKS
WR/KR RAY-RAY MCCLOUD
DE KERRY HYDER

LOSSES
DT DJ JONES (BRONCOS)
DT KENTAVIUS STREET (SAINTS)
OG LAKEN TOMLINSON (JETS)
OT TOM COMPTON (BRONCOS)
CB K'WAUN WILLIAMS (BRONCOS)
WR TRENT SHERFIELD (DOLPHINS)
RB TRENTON CANNON (TITANS)
RB RAHEEM MOSTERT (DOLPHINS)
DE ARDEN KEY (JAGUARS)

PROJECTED REPLACEMENTS
DT DJ JONES -> JAVON KINLAW

DT KENTAVIUS STREET -> HASSAN RIDGEWAY

OG LAKEN TOMLINSON -> AARON BANKS/JAYLON MOORE/COLTON MCKIVITZ

OT TOM COMPTON -> MIKE MCGLINCHEY/JAYLON MOORE/COLTON MCKIVITZ

WR TRENT SHERFIELD -> JAUAN JENNINGS

RB/KR TRENTON CANNON -> SERMON/MCCLOUD

RB RAHEEM MOSTERT -> ELIJAH MITCHELL

DE ARDEN KEY -> KERRY HYDER

CB WILLIAMS -> EMMANUEL MOSELEY

So far, it doesn't look like we expected to fill many holes in early free agency. I think we'll add bargains later from good players who didn't get the market they expected, and fill in the rest at the draft. We've done it every year, don't see why it'd be different this time.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 30, 2022 at 8:27 AM ]
I'm pretty focused on the AARON BANKS/JAYLON MOORE/COLTON MCKIVITZ trio. The Niners have accumulated a lot of potential OG/OT depth over the years.

Specifcally, I'm curious how they view Moore. If Banks is going to get a shot at LG, what is Moore's best spot? Is he McG's heir apparent? Would a rookie be able to beat that trio out to start, especially if McGlinchy isn't ready.

The second oline question is Mack. It seems like center is a place that Shanahan wants a vet and he's willing to spend on. Are there any FA OC on the market? I can see two scenarios
1) veteran depth behind Mack
2) Mack walks, and they bring in (trade or FA) a younger, long term upgrade
You forgot the big ass hole we have at safety now too. Tartt gets a lot of flack but he was good back there.
Good stuff OTC, here's what I have roster wise as of now, those making it, some are just placeholders.

2022 49ers 53-Man Roster:

OFFENSE:

QB(2): 5 Trey Lance(2024), & 7 Nate Sudfeld(2022)
RB(4): 25 Elijah Mitchell(2024), 28 Trey Sermon(2024), 23 JaMycal Hasty(2022), & N/A
FB(1): 44 Kyle Juszczyk(2025)
WR(6): 19 Deebo Samuel(2022), 11 Brandon Aiyuk(2023), 15 Jauan Jennings(2022), 14 Ray-Ray McCloud(2023), N/A, & N/A
TE(3): 85 George Kittle(2025), 89 Charlie Woerner(2023)
C(2): 50 Alex Mack(2023), & N/A
LG(2): 65 Aaron Banks(2024), & 68 Colton McKivitz(2022)
RG(2): 60 Daniel Brunskill(2022), & 64 Jake Brendel(2022)
LT(2): 71 Trent Williams(2026), & 76 Jaylon Moore(2024)
RT(1): 69 Mike McGlinchey(2022)

DEFENSE:

DE(6): 97 Nick Bosa(2022), 56 Samson Ebukam(2022), 92 Charles Omenihu(2022), N/A, N/A, & N/A
DT(3): 91 Arik Armstead(2024), 90 Kevin Givens(2022), & 96 Maurice Hurst Jr.(2022)
NT(2): 99 Javon Kinlaw(2023), & -- Hassan Ridgeway(2022)
WLB(1): 57 Dre Greenlaw(2022)
MLB(2): 54 Fred Warner(2026), & -- Oren Burks(2023)
SLB(2): 51 Azeez Al-Shaair(2022), & 45 Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles(2022)
CB(5): 35 Charvarius Ward(2024), 20 Ambry Thomas(2024), 4 Emmanuel Moseley(2022), 38 Deommodore Lenoir(2024), & N/A
FS(2): 1 Jimmie Ward(2022), & 33 Tarvarius Moore(2022)
SS(2): 29 Talanoa Hufanga(2024), & 30 George Odum(2024)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

PK(1): 9 Robbie Gould(2022)
P(1): 18 Mitch Wishnowsky(2022)
LS(1): 46 Taybor Pepper(2022)

44 PLAYERS, placeholders would be Brendel & Flannigan-Fowles, I have 42 as making it, baring injuries, as for Dee Ford, he'll be somewhere on the roster, unless he retires, we can save $1.12M by releasing him post June 1.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
You forgot the big ass hole we have at safety now too. Tartt gets a lot of flack but he was good back there.

When he played. We need a young healthy body out there. Not sure if Tartt signed anywhere else but if not the longer it draws out the more incentive based playing time deal he could sign for and possibly bring him back.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

I didn't list him as a loss just yet due to the fact that he hasn't signed elsewhere. Curious if the Niners bring him back on another 1 year deal, considering he may not get much money anywhere else.
Great thread!

What I would like to see bolstered/improved in the draft and remaining free agency:

LG/RG
CB
DE opposite of Bosa
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Great thread!

What I would like to see bolstered/improved in the draft and remaining free agency:

LG/RG
CB
DE opposite of Bosa

Agreed. Maybe even a safety somewhere if we can find the right value.
I think edge, RB, DT, C/G are likely for draft picks early
It's early, but the team right now--at least on paper-- is worse on defense and offense but better on special teams.

Originally posted by Heroism:
It's early, but the team right now--at least on paper-- is worse on defense and offense but better on special teams.

Not sure how you can be worse on offense and defense when you only lost 2 starters, we didn't have Raheem anyway in 2021, the rest are replaceable. I think it's even right now, ST is better as of now, just my 2 cents, not saying I'm right or wrong, no one knows till we get to preseason.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I think edge, RB, DT, C/G are likely for draft picks early

EDGE, IOL(C/G prospect, I like Alec Lindstrom of BC), 4th WR(I'd love Christian Watson, Lance's college teammate), RB, IDL(to battle Hurst & Givens), 3rd TE, 5th LB maybe to battle with DFF, FS or SS prospect.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Not sure how you can be worse on offense and defense when you only lost 2 starters

Huh? You literally answered your own question. They lost 2 starters, 1 of which was the best penetrating nose in the league and the other one one of the better guards in the league.
Originally posted by Heroism:

The key words are "it's early" -- very very early.

We only need to replace two incumbent starters, but we may already have those guys on the roster. I think maybe that's what AB was getting at.

We do still have plenty of time to add other free agents and rookies to ensure those spots are taken care of too.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
The key words are "it's early" -- very very early.

We only need to replace two incumbent starters, but we may already have those guys on the roster. I think maybe that's what AB was getting at.

We do still have plenty of time to add other free agents and rookies to ensure those spots are taken care of too.

Right, it is early.

As far as replacing DJJ and Laken with Kinlaw and Banks, we've seen Kinlaw, and he's an inferior player to DJJ in all aspects of DL play. Who knows what they have in Aaron Banks, but the fact that he was a 2nd-round pick and couldn't crack the active day roster let alone win the starting job is not a good sign.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 19, 2022 at 2:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone