49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 636 users in the forums

Why Have our Last Two Promising QB Prospects Flamed Out?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,466
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Kap - Was due to Baalke drafting and Jed keeping Baalke over Harbaugh.

Jimmy G - Was never developed. He's 30 making the same mistakes over and over again. Not sure if he has the skill set but he needs to be paired with a Andy Ried type coach (QB guru).

Yeah, there's issues of mechanics and reading ability. I think Jimmy's still growing and can grow even more, but between Trey and Jimmy, Trey looks really good right now. I think Kyle saw some deficiencies in Jimmy's game that Trey overcomes, even now while he's still raw. I think eventually Jimmy will reach all pro level, but I think with Kyle, Trey will get there possibly sooner. I think Kyle is a pretty good judge of QB's and for him to spend 3 first round picks Kyle must see something special in Trey.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Kap - Was due to Baalke drafting and Jed keeping Baalke over Harbaugh.

Jimmy G - Was never developed. He's 30 making the same mistakes over and over again. Not sure if he has the skill set but he needs to be paired with a Andy Ried type coach (QB guru).

Yeah, there's issues of mechanics and reading ability. I think Jimmy's still growing and can grow even more, but between Trey and Jimmy, Trey looks really good right now. I think Kyle saw some deficiencies in Jimmy's game that Trey overcomes, even now while he's still raw. I think eventually Jimmy will reach all pro level, but I think with Kyle, Trey will get there possibly sooner. I think Kyle is a pretty good judge of QB's and for him to spend 3 first round picks Kyle must see something special in Trey.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Kap - Was due to Baalke drafting and Jed keeping Baalke over Harbaugh.

Jimmy G - Was never developed. He's 30 making the same mistakes over and over again. Not sure if he has the skill set but he needs to be paired with a Andy Ried type coach (QB guru).

Yeah, there's issues of mechanics and reading ability. I think Jimmy's still growing and can grow even more, but between Trey and Jimmy, Trey looks really good right now. I think Kyle saw some deficiencies in Jimmy's game that Trey overcomes, even now while he's still raw. I think eventually Jimmy will reach all pro level, but I think with Kyle, Trey will get there possibly sooner. I think Kyle is a pretty good judge of QB's and for him to spend 3 first round picks Kyle must see something special in Trey.

You can't be serious. I've seen some out of your mind, up in the night takes in this thread. But All Pro? Dude. Please tell me you're either joking or mistaking All Pro for Pro Bowl. I could see him possibly being a Pro Bowl alternate. But All Pro? Come on man. That means he would be one of the 2 best QBs in the league. I'll go on record now and say there's no way in hell Jimmy ever even sniffs all pro. Ever.
[ Edited by NotAFinga42 on Feb 26, 2022 at 11:16 PM ]
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
You can't be serious. I've seen some out of your mind, up in the night takes in this thread. But All Pro? Dude. Please tell me you're either joking or mistaking All Pro for Pro Bowl. I could see him possibly being a Pro Bowl alternate. But All Pro? Come on man. That means he would be one of the 2 best QBs in the league. I'll go on record now and say there's no way in hell Jimmy ever even sniffs all pro. Ever.

Yeah...I can't see JG ever being in the AP discussion with the current crop of QBs today. If he couldn't sniff it with someone like KS drawing up the plays, what situation would be better for him that's currently or soon to be available?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 44,532
How did Jimmy "flame out"? His last two healthy seasons he took the 49ers to the Superbowl and NFC title game. Just because he isn't a top 5 QB doesn't mean he wasn't a good QB for the 49ers and wont help the next team he goes to be better. Flame outs are QBs like Josh Rosen, who were taken top 10 and can barely stay on an NFL roster.
  • All22
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,888
I expected this thread to be about Nate Davis.
Originally posted by All22:
I expected this thread to be about Nate Davis.

Tim Rattay forever!!!!!!
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by UnbanDrewK:
I really enjoyed when 49ers fans on the internet pissed their pampers that he was out banging some porn star.

For such an openly and vociferously liberal bunch, internet 49ers fans sure did forget that "sex work is real work" or whatever bs they spew otherwise. That, or the more likely scenario, they were furious he was into women.

Never mind the fact that you seem to not understand how rules work, the reason why people were a bit concerned is because quarterback is an excessively demanding position, and you want your guy to be on the way to being married and settled down.

The concerns, of course, were validated. He never improved in any appreciable way.

Trey on his way to being married and settling down? I really don't know

I meant that kind of person. The kind of person who is grounded and isn't distracted by the wonders of the world. Trey at 14 showed more maturity than Bosa at 19, based on twitter behavior.

There's a rule to this?

Almost nothing is black and white in the real world. But look at all the Hall of Fame QBs. Most of them had grounded, reliable, boring personal lives.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Kap - Was due to Baalke drafting and Jed keeping Baalke over Harbaugh.

Jimmy G - Was never developed. He's 30 making the same mistakes over and over again. Not sure if he has the skill set but he needs to be paired with a Andy Ried type coach (QB guru).

Great QBs aren't made. They're found. Yes, QBs can improve, but what you're improving is their tendencies, their decision making. You're not improving their ability, and field vision is generally an ability, not a learned skill. Reading a defense is a learned skill. Seeing defenders out of the corner of your vision focus is not. That's something you either have or you don't.

Jimmy doesn't have it, and that's why he is making the same mistakes. He could improve his accuracy, but he hasn't, and that is on him and no one else.
Originally posted by Jcool:
How did Jimmy "flame out"? His last two healthy seasons he took the 49ers to the Superbowl and NFC title game. Just because he isn't a top 5 QB doesn't mean he wasn't a good QB for the 49ers and wont help the next team he goes to be better. Flame outs are QBs like Josh Rosen, who were taken top 10 and can barely stay on an NFL roster.

I think they mean flaming out as 49ers.

Jimmy is getting traded or released. If he was a legitimate franchise QB, he'd be getting extended. That's a fact. But he's not a legitimate franchise QB, and he never will be. He's among the Ryan Tannehills of the world: QBs who will always have starting jobs because legitimate franchise QBs are very hard to find. The only reason he got that contract in the first place is because it was reasonable to project that he would become a real franchise QB. And the reason he's getting traded or released is because he failed to meet those expectations.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,351
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Great QBs aren't made. They're found. Yes, QBs can improve, but what you're improving is their tendencies, their decision making. You're not improving their ability, and field vision is generally an ability, not a learned skill. Reading a defense is a learned skill. Seeing defenders out of the corner of your vision focus is not. That's something you either have or you don't.

Jimmy doesn't have it, and that's why he is making the same mistakes. He could improve his accuracy, but he hasn't, and that is on him and no one else.

I agree there are varying levels of innate abilities, however, to say that those abilities cannot be improved is wrong. Things like peripheral vision can be trained.

My take is that Kyle Shanahan is a great play designer but not a great QB tutor. His ability to scheme receivers open makes a QB look better than he is. He does not appear to have that laser focus Walsh had on details. Reading his books he details certain drills designer to teach the QB how to read the defense. If we look back at the history of Walsh's QB, he was able to bring in some lower-level guys and get good service from them. Kyle got nothing from Mullen and Beathard. They never seemed to make any progress at all.

Scangarello was nothing special either. I'm glad he is gone.

I will say again, put Garoppolo in a pass-first offense, not a run-first offense and you will see an improved Jimmy Garoppolo. I'll leave it there.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 44,532
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Jcool:
How did Jimmy "flame out"? His last two healthy seasons he took the 49ers to the Superbowl and NFC title game. Just because he isn't a top 5 QB doesn't mean he wasn't a good QB for the 49ers and wont help the next team he goes to be better. Flame outs are QBs like Josh Rosen, who were taken top 10 and can barely stay on an NFL roster.

I think they mean flaming out as 49ers.

Jimmy is getting traded or released. If he was a legitimate franchise QB, he'd be getting extended. That's a fact. But he's not a legitimate franchise QB, and he never will be. He's among the Ryan Tannehills of the world: QBs who will always have starting jobs because legitimate franchise QBs are very hard to find. The only reason he got that contract in the first place is because it was reasonable to project that he would become a real franchise QB. And the reason he's getting traded or released is because he failed to meet those expectations.

That is still not flaming out.
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Kap - Was due to Baalke drafting and Jed keeping Baalke over Harbaugh.

Jimmy G - Was never developed. He's 30 making the same mistakes over and over again. Not sure if he has the skill set but he needs to be paired with a Andy Ried type coach (QB guru).

Yeah, there's issues of mechanics and reading ability. I think Jimmy's still growing and can grow even more, but between Trey and Jimmy, Trey looks really good right now. I think Kyle saw some deficiencies in Jimmy's game that Trey overcomes, even now while he's still raw. I think eventually Jimmy will reach all pro level, but I think with Kyle, Trey will get there possibly sooner. I think Kyle is a pretty good judge of QB's and for him to spend 3 first round picks Kyle must see something special in Trey.

You can't be serious. I've seen some out of your mind, up in the night takes in this thread. But All Pro? Dude. Please tell me you're either joking or mistaking All Pro for Pro Bowl. I could see him possibly being a Pro Bowl alternate. But All Pro? Come on man. That means he would be one of the 2 best QBs in the league. I'll go on record now and say there's no way in hell Jimmy ever even sniffs all pro. Ever.

Just needs more time! Give him at least 10 more years guys!
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Feb 27, 2022 at 3:15 PM ]
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by UnbanDrewK:
I really enjoyed when 49ers fans on the internet pissed their pampers that he was out banging some porn star.

For such an openly and vociferously liberal bunch, internet 49ers fans sure did forget that "sex work is real work" or whatever bs they spew otherwise. That, or the more likely scenario, they were furious he was into women.

Never mind the fact that you seem to not understand how rules work, the reason why people were a bit concerned is because quarterback is an excessively demanding position, and you want your guy to be on the way to being married and settled down.

The concerns, of course, were validated. He never improved in any appreciable way.

Trey on his way to being married and settling down? I really don't know

I meant that kind of person. The kind of person who is grounded and isn't distracted by the wonders of the world. Trey at 14 showed more maturity than Bosa at 19, based on twitter behavior.

There's a rule to this?

Almost nothing is black and white in the real world. But look at all the Hall of Fame QBs. Most of them had grounded, reliable, boring personal lives.

agreed, so more of a standard than a rule.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Kap - Was due to Baalke drafting and Jed keeping Baalke over Harbaugh.

Jimmy G - Was never developed. He's 30 making the same mistakes over and over again. Not sure if he has the skill set but he needs to be paired with a Andy Ried type coach (QB guru).

Yeah, there's issues of mechanics and reading ability. I think Jimmy's still growing and can grow even more, but between Trey and Jimmy, Trey looks really good right now. I think Kyle saw some deficiencies in Jimmy's game that Trey overcomes, even now while he's still raw. I think eventually Jimmy will reach all pro level, but I think with Kyle, Trey will get there possibly sooner. I think Kyle is a pretty good judge of QB's and for him to spend 3 first round picks Kyle must see something special in Trey.

You can't be serious. I've seen some out of your mind, up in the night takes in this thread. But All Pro? Dude. Please tell me you're either joking or mistaking All Pro for Pro Bowl. I could see him possibly being a Pro Bowl alternate. But All Pro? Come on man. That means he would be one of the 2 best QBs in the league. I'll go on record now and say there's no way in hell Jimmy ever even sniffs all pro. Ever.

Just needs more time! Give him at least 10 more years guys!

10 more years, or 10 more full seasons? Because in 10 more years he'll likely only play four full seasons.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone