LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 272 users in the forums

Week 14 Cincinnati Bengals Coaches Film Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There were SO. MANY. PLAYS. in this game. Hardest part was figuring out what to include and what not to. Spent a good bit of time on the defense and how we gave up so many yards in the 4th. I started with 32 plays to cover and had to pair it down to 27.
Excellent work as always, Jonny. I think my favorite play from the game was that back shoulder to Jennings. Reminded me of what we see Rodgers and Adams do about 8 times a game.

As you said, pass protection is a huge concern. It's going to take a hell of a lot of great scheming to overcome the constant failures of Compton and Brunskill. If there is one thing that causes me to doubt our chances of winning in the playoffs, it's that. Dallas, Arizona, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, and LA all have pretty strong pass rushes.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Excellent work as always, Jonny. I think my favorite play from the game was that back shoulder to Jennings. Reminded me of what we see Rodgers and Adams do about 8 times a game.

As you said, pass protection is a huge concern. It's going to take a hell of a lot of great scheming to overcome the constant failures of Compton and Brunskill. If there is one thing that causes me to doubt our chances of winning in the playoffs, it's that. Dallas, Arizona, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, and LA all have pretty strong pass rushes.

Agreed. The good news is that once Kyle emphasized the check downs last week, we saw more of that this week so between his reads and quick release, that helps out the pass protection a ton.

That said, when they collapse, as you saw, it's usually all of them failing at once and under 2 seconds. Or worse, Jimmy ends up taking a kill shot from an unlocked defender. And we forget, Jimmy was gimpy after that big hit JD highlighted.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 15, 2021 at 6:53 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
JD

Great points about the pass protections. I think they can get better, just have to practice more on those combo stunts and blitzes. Mack is going to be key as he's the guy that sets the protections. But in general, if a team is going to blitz, the offense - by definition - is going to be inconsistent. Those are boom and bust defenses.

I guarantee you if the run game was dominating, those 5 man stunts/blitzes wouldn't work or wouldn't be called. So ironically, a better run game, will improve the pass protections.
Originally posted by Giedi:
JD

Great points about the pass protections. I think they can get better, just have to practice more on those combo stunts and blitzes. Mack is going to be key as he's the guy that sets the protections. But in general, if a team is going to blitz, the offense - by definition - is going to be inconsistent. Those are boom and bust defenses.

I guarantee you if the run game was dominating, those 5 man stunts/blitzes wouldn't work or wouldn't be called. So ironically, a better run game, will improve the pass protections.

Agreed. It's the predictable passing, esp. 3rd and longs, where we're usually effed in pass protection. And that usually happens when they can't get positive yards on first downs running.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Thanks, jonny - as always great job.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

Agreed. The good news is that once Kyle emphasized the check downs last week, we saw more of that this week so between his reads and quick release, that helps out the pass protection a ton.

That said, when they collapse, as you saw, it's usually all of them failing at once and under 2 seconds. Or worse, Jimmy ends up taking a kill shot from an unlocked defender. And we forget, Jimmy was gimpy after that big hit JD highlighted.

If I'm a defense that's going to be blitz happy, I'd obviously want to double Kittle and Deebo. Just by doing the math, I'd have to leave 3rd and 4th pass receiver single covered or choose to double either the 3rd or 4th and leave one uncovered. Jauan's development is going to be key in breaking these types of blitz happy playoff defenses that have a good DLine to back them up. Really am happy Jauan's becoming a receiving threat like the other three.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Pass blocking/secondary is why our stay in the playoffs will be brief, if they even get there.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Pass blocking/secondary is why our stay in the playoffs will be brief, if they even get there.

Very, very likely.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
JD

Agreed. It's the predictable passing, esp. 3rd and longs, where we're usually effed in pass protection. And that usually happens when they can't get positive yards on first downs running.

3rd and longs are where the two NFC west midgets really toast our defense. I'm going to be really happy next year when Kyle's going to return the favor with Trey.

Trey's ability to buy time if the pass protection breaks down will be the difference maker on 3rd downs vs Jimmy - in those obvious passing situations. Then add in a good run game (hopefully Sermon, Mitchell, Hasty, and Wilson will be 100% healthy next year) and you have the makings of a super bowl offense.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:

You are correct, sir.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
There were SO. MANY. PLAYS. in this game. Hardest part was figuring out what to include and what not to. Spent a good bit of time on the defense and how we gave up so many yards in the 4th. I started with 32 plays to cover and had to pair it down to 27.

JD one thing needs to be said about offensive "efficiency" - was gifted two very short fields. Again, this OL is the weak link. If we can't run and have to rely on pass pro, that's going to be our kryptonite every time.

I did say it. Shoes one if the muffed punts and said, "the biggest factor in the game were the 2 muffed punts". But, not much to break down there....
Originally posted by NinerGM:
JD one thing needs to be said about offensive "efficiency" - was gifted two very short fields. Again, this OL is the weak link. If we can't run and have to rely on pass pro, that's going to be our kryptonite every time.
This literally happens in every football game. Team A turns the ball over and Team B takes advantage of it. We were Team B on Sunday and Team A the Sunday before that.
Your standard great job, JD, and now i see why our OL looked so bad on PP. The DE stunt up the gut was successful with virtually no one home to take care of him. That must be a brute to figure out how to handle that. It happens so dang fast it seems almost impossible to be able to stop. Really good call by Cincy's DC.

A lot of folks make fun of "check down Jimmy" but realization that your OL has not blocked somebody calls for instant recognition and immediate release …so check down is an absolute must. Glad you showed that , and thanks. No wonder the PP looked so bad…there were some very good calls by Cincy in those cases.
  • da209
  • Veteran
love these videos, so informative. We beat a good team.
Share 49ersWebzone