LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

Better late than never, but....NFLPA files complaint with NFL over artificial turf.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Whether we lost 16 players to injury in two games at Met Life stadium, IDK, but if not, it was close to that. Now after one of Steelers got hurt on artificial, NFLPA wants all stadiums, including indoor to switch to real grass. A couple studies done show more lower leg injuries on turf, plus a couple other injuries also. Evidently, the 9ers complaints were listened to, but nothing was done. Now after we're gone from there, injuries on other turf fields have NFLPA up in arms over artificial surfaces for NFL players.

This is great news, and one wonders why wasn't this brot up before? I just wish we hadn't had to play on their turf for 2 weeks in a row. Now with other teams complaining also, finally NFLPA got on the ball and may have helped us out. But until all the turf is gone, we have a legit beef. Having to play on it cost us valuable player capital. Will be interesting to see if this gets taken up by any individuals...or just teams.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Those rubberized concrete surfaces should be banned from all NFL stadiums in my opinion.
That is what it sounds like is going to happen,
Originally posted by Giedi:
Those rubberized concrete surfaces should be banned from all NFL stadiums in my opinion.

+1. Whose idea was it to have such terrible surfaces?
We should be awarded draft compensation for what happened to us
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Whether we lost 16 players to injury in two games at Met Life stadium, IDK, but if not, it was close to that. Now after one of Steelers got hurt on artificial, NFLPA wants all stadiums, including indoor to switch to real grass. A couple studies done show more lower leg injuries on turf, plus a couple other injuries also. Evidently, the 9ers complaints were listened to, but nothing was done. Now after we're gone from there, injuries on other turf fields have NFLPA up in arms over artificial surfaces for NFL players.

This is great news, and one wonders why wasn't this brot up before? I just wish we hadn't had to play on their turf for 2 weeks in a row. Now with other teams complaining also, finally NFLPA got on the ball and may have helped us out. But until all the turf is gone, we have a legit beef. Having to play on it cost us valuable player capital. Will be interesting to see if this gets taken up by any individuals...or just teams.

Though I know it's probably a longshot, it would be OUTSTANDING to have grass surfaces required for all outdoor NFL fields!
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Though I know it's probably a longshot, it would be OUTSTANDING to have grass surfaces required for all outdoor NFL fields!

Yes it would be
Meh I doubt anything will happen. This gets brought up in the meetings every year I read. They're not going to eliminate these authentic turf fields.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Giedi:

+1. Whose idea was it to have such terrible surfaces?

Saving $$$$$$,....and making $$$$$$ easier the rest of the year. For many of these owners, the bottom line is end-of-the-year revenue.
[ Edited by random49er on Oct 1, 2020 at 2:48 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
We should be awarded draft compensation for what happened to us

I wish, but this will be fought by the owners especially the domed stadiums. Only Arizona planned for it with a rolling turf option. Did the Meadowlands ever use grass ? My 2nd worst memory playing there (other than game 2 injuries) was when Rice caught a sure TD from Joe and after catching the ball brought it down to his thigh and he fumbled it forward. I think it rolled 40 yards on that astroturf. You see it at times on old nfl bloopers.

The numbers don't lie...natural grass fields are safer for the players. Some owners have broken the code...in Arizona and the latest is in Las Vegas. They're two of the hottest weather venues in the NFL and they both have natural grass. I think this year's rash of injuries may help move this issue down the track...true, some are due to lack of normal off-season programs, but the numbers the NFLPA's touting are valid, COVID-19 notwithstanding.
  • dj43
Of course, some stadiums are designed in such a way that natural grass will not grow there. The AZ and LV arenas are ahead of the curve on that. Of course, that feature cost millions extra but protecting the health of a $500,000,000 investment makes financial sense.
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 1, 2020 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Of course, some stadiums are designed in such a way that natural grass will not grow there. The AZ, LA, and LV arenas are ahead of the curve on that. Of course, that feature cost millions extra but protecting the health of a $500,000,000 investment makes financial sense.

Cost shouldn't be a viable excuse for any NFL team as to why they can't have grass.
  • dj43
Here is a story on the latest in turf, installed in the new LA joint, along with the Dallas and Houston fields.

https://www.therams.com/news/a-detailed-breakdown-of-sofi-stadium-turf
  • dj43
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by dj43:
Of course, some stadiums are designed in such a way that natural grass will not grow there. The AZ and LV arenas are ahead of the curve on that. Of course, that feature cost millions extra but protecting the health of a $500,000,000 investment makes financial sense.

Cost shouldn't be a viable excuse for any NFL team as to why they can't have grass.
You are correct. The unfortunate thing is that everyone jumped on it for cost-savings reasons but now are learning it is hurting their multi-million dollar assets.

Most of the northern stadiums use turf because of the weather. Fans don't like to sit in 10-degree weather...except for Green Bay. Too late to change for all those places.

What will be interesting will be to watch the owners squirm if clear data comes back indicating the turf hurts players. Will it be Concussion all over again?
Share 49ersWebzone