LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

Better late than never, but....NFLPA files complaint with NFL over artificial turf.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Of course, some stadiums are designed in such a way that natural grass will not grow there. The AZ and LV arenas are ahead of the curve on that. Of course, that feature cost millions extra but protecting the health of a $500,000,000 investment makes financial sense.

Cost shouldn't be a viable excuse for any NFL team as to why they can't have grass.
You are correct. The unfortunate thing is that everyone jumped on it for cost-savings reasons but now are learning it is hurting their multi-million dollar assets.

Most of the northern stadiums use turf because of the weather. Fans don't like to sit in 10-degree weather...except for Green Bay. Too late to change for all those places.

What will be interesting will be to watch the owners squirm if clear data comes back indicating the turf hurts players. Will it be Concussion all over again?

I'm not a grass guy but I have to imagine you can grow grass inside. Hell I imagine keeping it alive in freezing temperatures would be harder than having indoor grass.
What the data says....

Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.
Originally posted by random49er:
What the data says....

Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.

I've seen enough. Grass should be mandatory like it is in the premier league
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Those rubberized concrete surfaces should be banned from all NFL stadiums in my opinion.

+1. Whose idea was it to have such terrible surfaces?

I think the media and NFL heads because the fields LOOK so much nicer on screen.
Here is a story on the latest in turf, installed in the new LA joint, along with the Dallas and Houston fields.

https://www.therams.com/news/a-detailed-breakdown-of-sofi-stadium-turf

I just read the story. The question I have: are there numbers out yet that support this type of artificial turf as yielding less injuries than the other stuff like what the Jets & Giants have? Also, why not go natural grass as all three of these stadiums are not dome stadiums? Is it an events-capacity thing, where they have so many other events planned that they want a type of surface such as turf that could accommodate all the wear and tear?
Of course, some stadiums are designed in such a way that natural grass will not grow there. The AZ and LV arenas are ahead of the curve on that. Of course, that feature cost millions extra but protecting the health of a $500,000,000 investment makes financial sense.

Both stadiums also have a turf option too. I believe UNLV and for bowl games vegas will use the synthetic turf field.
The turf causes more injuries but in the bad weather cities the grass can get really bad. It's been a long time since most of those places have had natural grass and I have to wonder if they switch back will we see more injuries on the bad fields. It's a lot harder to stop your momentum on a wet muddy field. Will we see more late hits called ? I don't know but back in the old days before artificial turf, they didn't track injuries like they do now. They could be trading one problem for another.
Cool....and it only cost us Bosa and probably another trip to the Super Bowl...f**k you NFL

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The turf causes more injuries but in the bad weather cities the grass can get really bad. It's been a long time since most of those places have had natural grass and I have to wonder if they switch back will we see more injuries on the bad fields. It's a lot harder to stop your momentum on a wet muddy field. Will we see more late hits called ? I don't know but back in the old days before artificial turf, they didn't track injuries like they do now. They could be trading one problem for another.

Green Bay having some of the toughest weather around has managed all these years to have a grass field and keep it in pretty good condition all things considered. I have to think other places like Buffalo and Minnesota could do the same in today's world (no more "Minnesota Mud Men").
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Oct 1, 2020 at 5:31 PM ]
The Meadowland turf monster just struck again against a Jets receiver.

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Green Bay having some of the toughest weather around has managed all these years to have a grass field and keep it in pretty good condition all things considered. I have to think other places like Buffalo and Minnesota could do the same in today's world (no more "Minnesota Mud Men").

Minnesota's roof is a 3m Plexiglas that lets in the light. That could probably grow grass.
We can send spaceships to Mars, but we cannot figure out an artificial grass that is as safe as real grass?
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
We can send spaceships to Mars, but we cannot figure out an artificial grass that is as safe as real grass?

The aliens haven't told us how to do that yet
Originally posted by Thanos89:
The aliens haven't told us how to do that yet

They don't want us to have that information. We would become too powerful
  • dj43

Cost shouldn't be a viable excuse for any NFL team as to why they can't have grass.
You are correct. The unfortunate thing is that everyone jumped on it for cost-savings reasons but now are learning it is hurting their multi-million dollar assets.

Most of the northern stadiums use turf because of the weather. Fans don't like to sit in 10-degree weather...except for Green Bay. Too late to change for all those places.

What will be interesting will be to watch the owners squirm if clear data comes back indicating the turf hurts players. Will it be Concussion all over again?

I'm not a grass guy but I have to imagine you can grow grass inside. Hell I imagine keeping it alive in freezing temperatures would be harder than having indoor grass.

Grass, like all green plants, must have sunlight to allow it to grow. There are some varieties that do better in the shade or partial shade but indoors doesn't work.
Share 49ersWebzone