There are 216 users in the forums

Kudos to Lynch and Shannhan for not repeating their past mistake

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Character, intelligence and the drive to be great can certainly be hard to measure at times. They've had their blunders with Foster, Pettis and Joe Williams.

Looking back, I always thought Foster was very "slow" so to speak and Pettis & Williams certainly had a ton of pre warning signs.

The good news is they seem to learn and go opposite extremes. Breida and Mostert get legit chances to earn spots (over a 3rd rounder), Sanders, Hurd, Deebo, etc. DOGS are brought in and they went out and spent big on their mistake in Foster not planning out...hell, Kinlaw for the Solomon Thomas mistake too.

Why are you lumping in Pettis? You clearly don't understand the OP's point then.

Pettis isn't a distraction nor does he have off the field issues.

LOL...first line:
If one learned from their mistakes they grow...

Safe to say they learned from the Pettis pick.

And from Thomas too.

What exactly do you think they learned from the Pettis pick? Not to trade up for the WR they wanted? Because thats exactly what they did this year.

Again, this thread is crazy to me. People are claiming they learned from past mistakes, yet have not supplied any reasonable explanation as to why they believe that.
Character, intelligence and the drive to be great can certainly be hard to measure at times. They've had their blunders with Foster, Pettis and Joe Williams.

Looking back, I always thought Foster was very "slow" so to speak and Pettis & Williams certainly had a ton of pre warning signs.

The good news is they seem to learn and go opposite extremes. Breida and Mostert get legit chances to earn spots (over a 3rd rounder), Sanders, Hurd, Deebo, etc. DOGS are brought in and they went out and spent big on their mistake in Foster not planning out...hell, Kinlaw for the Solomon Thomas mistake too.

Why are you lumping in Pettis? You clearly don't understand the OP's point then.

LOL...first line:

what did they learn exactly?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

LOL...first line:

And from Thomas too.

Originally posted by captveg:
To be fair, Foster was also very personable. Everyone who met him talked about how his personality filled the room with positive energy. You can see it in interviews with the media. It's easy to see why people would like him.

Ok, i admit i'm a kyle , john homer. But in all honesty...and i knew full well about the obvious screw up at the combine...Reuben was a mistake i would have made 10 times out of 10. Had a great smile, i already alluded to his brilliance in Defensive football analysis on the Gruden QB show (when he still was a TV color guy, not a coach), and you had to love his enthusiasm, both during an interview and on the football field. I think the blue tent was invented for Reuben because he routinely hit ball carriers so hard he almost knocked himself out.

The kid was absolutely a "find" in the football world, best LB in draft and i think rated #3 pick/talent overall pre draft. Keep in mind , JL and kyle just starting out, and we are a zero team. No talent, unknown GM, and best OC on the planet. Amazing we had 45 players and basically only 2 or 3 stayed on. I mean we were bottom of the barrel. As such, to get real talent we had to reach...and ...well, with the radiology tech at the combine thing...Reuben was a reach. Talent, personality in interviews, smarts on football field. I admit, i got sucked in.

That has happened a few times in medical practice which would be over 200,000 patients( a good many of those seen while working ERs) but also a slew of patients in the office practice of medicine. That is, where i trusted a patient, only to later find they were being dishonest, which ended our physician-patient relationship. When going back over what did i miss, usually it was a person who was actually two people, and i just knew one of them. Ergo, Reuben Foster. We just knew one of the two people in there. Nobody was aware there was another.

But the smart fans knew to pay attn to the combine issue. When you are a struggling team, really short on talent, just trying to stay alive, and a superb talent comes along, but with a red flag...you have to pay attn to the red flags, no matter how good the talent is. We were desperate for talent...and Saban said Reuben was 4+/4+ . JL/kyle rolled the dice. Came up craps tho.

As we have seen, they learned their lesson. Odd it would occur on the very first day of talent acquisition...a lifelong lesson occurred first crack out of the box. When you get right down to it, that actually was a fortuitous time for that to happen. Sooner you get that out of your system the better.

Also learned one other thing early. Know your HCs and who shoots straight and who doesn't. John and kyle learned about Saban...but all was not lost. They now know about Muschamp ...and that's a good thing.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 25, 2020 at 12:07 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by mayo49:

LOL...first line:

And from Thomas too.

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

What exactly do you think they learned from the Pettis pick? Not to trade up for the WR they wanted? Because thats exactly what they did this year.

Again, this thread is crazy to me. People are claiming they learned from past mistakes, yet have not supplied any reasonable explanation as to why they believe that.

lol true
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

lol true

Really? How about these acquistions, by trade, draft, FA , whatever?

Bosa
Kittle
TT
JimmyG
Dre
Kwon
Warner
Keeping Arik
DJJones
All the RBs...all 5 or 6 of them
Deebo
Bourne
McG
Trent W
Au Jus

with all the injuries and 1st new S & C didn't help...JL upgraded as many rotational positions as possible....which helped get us to SB with entirely rebuilt squad, and we still had 17 guys on IR.

Sherm as anchor
Patiently waiting on HURD. JET, for this season
Anxious to see our 2 new 1st rd picks Kinlaw and Aiyuc
Coach K
Laken great at run Blocking not at PP
Brunskill. Played well at every position on OL (except C...did he snap a few?...IDK)
Anxiously awaiting McKivitz and can he really play all 5 OL positions?
Mullie...how many teams in league with super technical O , have a rotational QB who knows entire O scheme? That is a remarkable find.

I missed somebody but point is they have taken a nothing, zero , team, made a couple mistakes, but did a total rebuild 43/45 and got us to SB and almost won it until last 7 mins with a
QB who got concussed (while on the ground) and entered the game with only 5 of our 8 DLs suiting up. (Ok Dee suited up but couldn't go except a play or 2)...and all that in 3 measly years?

I'd say they learned a thing or two based on the guys noted above ....and under RBs...add in 5 guys...or 6.

Yeah, i'd Say they learned a thing or two . What i don't get is where one can come up with "they haven't learned from their mistakes"? That is turning a blind eye to what our two guys have accomplished.

How in the world can they have put a SB team together in 3 yrs, starting from scratch, and not learned from their mistakes? Sure you don't want to give them a little credit?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 26, 2020 at 3:15 PM ]
Does re-drafting the same position year after year show that they have learned from past mistakes?

I guess we will see...
Who the hell is Shannhan?

Originally posted by glorydayz:
Does re-drafting the same position year after year show that they have learned from past mistakes?

I guess we will see...

Well, did it get us to SB in 3 yrs? And even then, the same position they drafted for, DL, we didn't have enough of come SB day. Three of those guys couldn't play. We actually needed another 3 DLs. Absence of Dee, DJ, and Blair didn't allow our DL to get a blow. In the end, it would have been nice if they could have had some time off in 3rd qtr, so they were not gassed for 4th. But when 3 of your 8 are out with injury... well , does that mean we need to draft MORE DLs?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

lol true

Really? How about these acquistions, by trade, draft, FA , whatever?

Bosa
Kittle
TT
JimmyG
Dre
Kwon
Warner
Keeping Arik
DJJones
All the RBs...all 5 or 6 of them
Deebo
Bourne
McG
Trent W
Au Jus

with all the injuries and 1st new S & C didn't help...JL upgraded as many rotational positions as possible....which helped get us to SB with entirely rebuilt squad, and we still had 17 guys on IR.

Sherm as anchor
Patiently waiting on HURD. JET, for this season
Anxious to see our 2 new 1st rd picks Kinlaw and Aiyuc
Coach K
Laken great at run Blocking not at PP
Brunskill. Played well at every position on OL (except C...did he snap a few?...IDK)
Anxiously awaiting McKivitz and can he really play all 5 OL positions?
Mullie...how many teams in league with super technical O , have a rotational QB who knows entire O scheme? That is a remarkable find.

I missed somebody but point is they have taken a nothing, zero , team, made a couple mistakes, but did a total rebuild 43/45 and got us to SB and almost won it until last 7 mins with a
QB who got concussed (while on the ground) and entered the game with only 5 of our 8 DLs suiting up. (Ok Dee suited up but couldn't go except a play or 2)...and all that in 3 measly years?

I'd say they learned a thing or two based on the guys noted above ....and under RBs...add in 5 guys...or 6.

Yeah, i'd Say they learned a thing or two . What i don't get is where one can come up with "they haven't learned from their mistakes"? That is turning a blind eye to what our two guys have accomplished.

How in the world can they have put a SB team together in 3 yrs, starting from scratch, and not learned from their mistakes? Sure you don't want to give them a little credit?

None of this has anything to do with learning from past mistakes. Past mistakes have been overcome by countless other great moves (a lot of which you have highlighted above), but its not as if we have seen a single example of them identifying a past mistake, and them having an opportunity to repeat the same mistake but chosen differently. THAT is learning from a mistake.

For example, you explicitly said they learned from the Pettis pick.

Can you elaborate on what they learned? Because two seasons ago Kyle/Lynch identified a WR that they liked who was outside of the top WRs available. Then they moved up to get him. And that, to this point was a mistake.

So what did they do this year? They identified a WR that they liked who was outside of the top WRs available. Then they moved up to get him. Where in that scenario are you seeing they "learned from their mistake?" If anything, they havent learned a thing because they did the exact same thing this season!

One of the oddest threads I have seen on this site in a while.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

I guess we will see...

Well, did it get us to SB in 3 yrs? And even then, the same position they drafted for, DL, we didn't have enough of come SB day. Three of those guys couldn't play. We actually needed another 3 DLs. Absence of Dee, DJ, and Blair didn't allow our DL to get a blow. In the end, it would have been nice if they could have had some time off in 3rd qtr, so they were not gassed for 4th. But when 3 of your 8 are out with injury... well , does that mean we need to draft MORE DLs?

Again, completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread.
None of this has anything to do with learning from past mistakes. Past mistakes have been overcome by countless other great moves (a lot of which you have highlighted above), but its not as if we have seen a single example of them identifying a past mistake, and them having an opportunity to repeat the same mistake but chosen differently. THAT is learning from a mistake.

Can you elaborate on what they learned? Because two seasons ago Kyle/Lynch identified a WR that they liked who was outside of the top WRs available. Then they moved up to get him. And that, to this point was a mistake.

So what did they do this year? They identified a WR that they liked who was outside of the top WRs available. Then they moved up to get him. Where in that scenario are you seeing they "learned from their mistake?" If anything, they havent learned a thing because they did the exact same thing this season!

If you will reread the above, you will note that i specifically did NOT include Pettis in the list. That was probably one of the mistakes they made. Foster, a mistake. There were others, but these guys definitely learned as they went along or we wouldn't have the talent listed above nor would have been in the SB. Who predicted that? No one i can think of. So they sure as schid learned something re: picks, trades, FAs, UDFAs along the way. Actually they learned a ton. And Pettis was one of those learning picks. As for Aiyuc, nobody knows how that pick comes out. So far, we know zip. Sure has some great film , if you are into that kind of thing.

As for elaborating on what they learned? How about what did WE learn from their picks, drafts, trades, FAs, UDFAs? We learned they have one helluva eye for talent. That's what we learned. As for GM/HC. They made some mistakes. That comes with the job. But picking one guy, two guys, and comparing those with all the talent they have assembled....how on earth can one say they have not learned from their mistakes.. for heaven's sakes. Look at the talent. That is from JL/KS. Every GM/HC makes mistakes, and then they get better as time goes on or they get fired.

So far they have just improved this team by leaps and bounds each yr. From here on it will be less and less noticeable because right now? They have a SB caliber lineup. And you don't get to that stage by not learning from your mistakes. So we disagree. Picking one player ...or two...when there is a team full of guys like the above...that is just not looking at the big picture. I would have liked to have Thomas (OT to play OG for a couple yrs) taken at #13. But he went #4 i believe . I loved the Kinlaw pick but never even considered it. That's just one of many reasons i would never make a good GM.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 26, 2020 at 4:27 PM ]

If you will reread the above, you will note that i did NOT include Pettis in the list. That was probably one of the mistakes they made. Foster, a mistake. There were others, but these guys definitely learned as they went along or we wouldn't have the talent listed above nor would have been in the SB. Who predicted that? No one i can think of. So they sure as schid learned something re: picks, trades, FAs, UDFAs along the way. Actually they learned a ton. And Pettis was one of those learning picks. As for Aiyuc, nobody knows how that pick comes out. So far, we know zip.

My fault. It was NCOMMAND that said that we learned from the Pettis mistake. I still dont agree with anything else you posted as being evidence that Kyle/Lynch learned from their mistakes. But I apologize about the Pettis comment. Got two posters confused.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on May 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone