There are 186 users in the forums

Kudos to Lynch and Shannhan for not repeating their past mistake

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If one learned from their mistakes they grow, if they do not learn from their mistakes it is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different result.

The Niners were tempted by talent and traded up for Reuben Foster on talent alone. He was an embarassment and a distraction. Now going into the season I do not fear the proverbial, the 9ers are aware of the situation with Player X, and it is a legal matter so we will see if they get prosecuted.

Get great players, also get players who stay out of trouble. The NY Giants now are learning the same lesson. They knew before the draft the cb had to be babysat at Georgia just to show up for practice. Why would any team draft that. Oh yeah, talent, but availability is huge.
  • thl408
Right on cue there's an article about this.
https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2374-49ers-winning-good-players-better-people/
To be fair, Foster was also very personable. Everyone who met him talked about how his personality filled the room with positive energy. You can see it in interviews with the media. It's easy to see why people would like him.
Who exactly was the player that they could/should have drafted this year if not for character issues?
Foster was such a great interview, esp on with Gruden. That was a classic. His play was superb. His enthusiasm wonderful.

But being afraid to read the sports pages in the newspaper in the morning for fear of what i was going to see was downright depressing. Never realized it was 17 different instances if you added them all up over 6 yrs. But, yes, i truly enjoy a team you don't have to be ashamed to call your own. Makes it a lot more fun to follow the team also.

So agreed, kudos to JL and KS for bringing us not just talent but good people also. And the article referred to above..was spot on.
Originally posted by captveg:
To be fair, Foster was also very personable. Everyone who met him talked about how his personality filled the room with positive energy. You can see it in interviews with the media. It's easy to see why people would like him.

Character, intelligence and the drive to be great can certainly be hard to measure at times. They've had their blunders with Foster, Pettis and Joe Williams.

Looking back, I always thought Foster was very "slow" so to speak and Pettis & Williams certainly had a ton of pre warning signs.

The good news is they seem to learn and go opposite extremes. Breida and Mostert get legit chances to earn spots (over a 3rd rounder), Sanders, Hurd, Deebo, etc. DOGS are brought in and they went out and spent big on their mistake in Foster not planning out...hell, Kinlaw for the Solomon Thomas mistake too.
Originally posted by thl408:
Right on cue there's an article about this.
https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2374-49ers-winning-good-players-better-people/

Solly is a very good character guy, yet Foster was the much better talent.
i wish he would've learned from his mistakes of not running the ball in the last 5 min of a SB
I do love rooting for a team that wins a lot of games with players that are very likable and no actual scumbags on the roster. When your biggest problem child is the long snapper, you're doing alright.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Solly is a very good character guy, yet Foster was the much better talent.

Solly is still with us and Foster isn't. That 's a big deal to me. Solly isn't a total waste the way Foster was. Solly still played and was good depth for us. Between Foster and maybe a generic LB taken maybe in the 2nd or 3rd (or maybe like an Azeez or Greenlaw) - I'd have chosen Azeez/Greenlaw vs Foster kind of player. Good character really does matter in a lot of things related to football.
They learnt a lot from that 2017 fiasco.
Don't have a bias for your Stanford guys, even if most mock drafts have you picking him. He is not a first round talent.
Don't force players to play where they don't fit.
Don't risk s**t on headcase players, no matter how talented they are. You can find good LB in round 3.
If John Lynch doesn't have somebody on his draft board is for a reason. No more Joe Williams or CJ Beathard kind of reaches. In fact, never draft a RB before round 4 again.
Don't draft weak minded players. As good highlights they have, if they don't love football and can't overcome adversity, they have no business being in this team.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
i wish he would've learned from his mistakes of not running the ball in the last 5 min of a SB

This. They learnes their mistakes off the field but theyre making big mistakes on it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

This. They learnes their mistakes off the field but theyre making big mistakes on it.

I think Kyle panicked a little bit in the super bowl. Rookie super bowl coach mistake.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Lynch did say that his team will never be a bunch of boy scout but expects high character fellas !!
Share 49ersWebzone