LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

Best front 7 in Football

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Did we win the Super Bowl? When we do, then, and only then, can you anoint them as the best.
  • thl408
Originally posted by fropwns:
Did we win the Super Bowl? When we do, then, and only then, can you anoint them as the best.

So the best front 7 last year was the Chiefs?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

Lol

LOL. TBF, they were the DL that made the plays to win the game. So, maybe for just that game.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Even without Buck, I'd take ours over anyone elses.

And our depth is awesome IMO, Jones, Blair, Hyder, Taylor, Street, Givens, Thomas, Daniels. Gonna be making some tough cuts come August/September.

Exactly why I was against who we ended up picking at 13. This front 7 was the best, or one of the best without Buckner or Kinlaw.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Even without Buck, I'd take ours over anyone elses.

And our depth is awesome IMO, Jones, Blair, Hyder, Taylor, Street, Givens, Thomas, Daniels. Gonna be making some tough cuts come August/September.

Exactly why I was against who we ended up picking at 13. This front 7 was the best, or one of the best without Buckner or Kinlaw.
I beg to disagree though. Without Buckner, we wouldn't have gotten the best front 7 reputation. With Kinlaw, it's TBD, that's why we drafted him so we can have the opportunity to keep that reputation again.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
For those interested, sometime in the winter months, late, Mike McCarthy was called by a buddy who runs a gym/ training program,, and told McCarthy he needed to come to Calif to see something. Being close friends, McCarthy came here to no fanfare adn quietly went to see his buddy the trainer. He was introduced to the new Aldon, sleek, ripped and sober for 4 yrs or thereabouts. McCarthy put him thru the paces adn then offered him a shot at coming to Cowboy TC in spring/ summer. Aldon very contritely said yes and now is in residence in Dallas, with McCarthy watching him carefully. Word in newspapers and local sports talk radio that Aldon has reformed, is in best shape of his life and is fast. He also is very grateful to be there and somehow has grown up and gotten out of the teenage stage he was stuck in. Also sober according to reports , his speed is what has the cowboys drooling. We'll see how sitting out 5 hrs from age 25-30 works out but Aldon is giving it his best shot.

And he has stayed out of trouble plus no drugs, alcohol , or craziness.. Haven't heard about guns yet,, so we shall see about Aldon and if it turns out he has reformed and has become a force once again, more power to him. I always liked the kid but his actions just made him un workable. Be a great story if he rebounds.

It sounds like mike McCarthy did this all on his own, nobody else involved. That too, is a good story.

It is a good story. As far as the physical aspect of being 30, the main reason performance starts to suffer around that age is injuries. Developmentally, 30 is pretty near peak for explosive sports, and barring injury, players would tend to improve up to this age then plateau for a while before heading down. The developmental improvement in the 20s (and earlier) is offset by loss of flexibility/range of motion/etc due to injury... but the net is usually an overall performance increase. After the peak, the injury effect continues but without the developmental improvement things usually start trending in a negative direction.

Smith will be interesting because his development may not have been hampered by injuries much. Presumably different from Rueben Foster this way. Could be a monster.

Sometimes people "forget" how to move after extended time off though, and sometimes their physical development can actually be a problem if they haven't adapted to, and with, the changes (teenager after a growth spurt is a compressed example).

Even if he will end up being a monster by game 8, a reduced offseason/preseason could be a real problem if he needs an adaptation phase. The coaches would need to give him a roster spot based on potential. If he can't make the team, he can't work through the adaptation phase and become a monster.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Will be interesting to watch.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:

Lol

It's been a long time since Smith played in a game. It's one thing to look in shape and go thru some drills but games are a whole different story. If he's able to do this then hats off to him. The fact is nobody has ever missed that many seasons and come back and played well. 2012 was the last full season he played. Since then he wasn't played more than 9 games in a season and not at all since 2015. The moth ball fleet in Suisun Bay had less rust than he does.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on May 26, 2020 at 1:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Furlow:

Lol

That is some crazy logic, even for this place.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It's been a long time since Smith played in a game. It's one thing to look in shape and go thru some drills but games are a whole different story. If he's able to do this then hats off to him. The fact is nobody has ever missed that many seasons and come back and played well. 2012 was the last full season he played. Since then he wasn't played more than 9 games in a season and not at all since 2015. The moth ball fleet in Suisun Bay had less rust than he does.

Well, if somebody asked me about Aldon, i would have said to check out local jails.

My bro in Ft Worth dropped it on me from Dallas sportstalk radio and Dallas Morning News. He knew i had been a huge fan before the "Troubles" occurred.

It's hard to imagine a HC , a new one at that, in yr of the Covid and all that entails...make an off the books trip to SF because a trainer friend told him about a "former player" who had some real talent. That must have been some phone call.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 26, 2020 at 2:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone