2020 Schedule

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
^^^Speaking of allowing fans in , here's what we know:

NFL already released the 16 game season over 17 weeks.

Mark Cuban , Mavericks' owner and member of presidential advisor board on how to manage re-integration of sports and fans, stated unequivocally in TV interview that some games in NFL and NBA initially would be played without fans. Obviously that revolves around what is status of covid 19 at that point in time, 4 1/2 months from now.

Currently we in CA have a shelter in place about to be lifted with requirements for social distancing, and wearing masks. That is in place until it changes.

To my knowledge that is extent of what we know at present.

IMPLICATIONS: From the above we can imply that during social distancing.:

If fans are let in to stadium, it would be with substantially limited attendance and seating. For example, just allow every other row to be used for seating. And for those rows allowed for seating, allow 6 feet or 2 seats between each fan . That means every other row is 50% of seating gone, and then if two seats between each fan is 1/3 of that 50% or maximum 16% of seats (and therefore fans) could be admitted to games.
Do the math on that and it comes out 11,500 fans can come to stadium with social distancing and masks if they allow fans in.(probably by luck of the draw) assuming stadium holds 72,000.

Of those that come to the stadium, it would be simple to weed out any with a fever, by using thermal scanners which can scan hundreds of people at a time.

At a later date, if social distancing were no longer required, do thermal scanning and if anyone lites up, then put a pulse oximeter on their finger and if pO2 (percent of oxygen saturation in blood) is less than 98% they are at risk and not allowed in. i suspect they may have mask requirements out into the future. In busy downtown Tokyo, people routinely wear masks prior to covid.

That would be a general background on which to begin, and i would suspect they have something like that or probably more sophisticated already in the works. But it is a way for SOME fans to be admitted , tho not many. It can be added to by going to every other row and every other seat which would double to 23,000 fans initially if still practicing social distancing. Next would be going to every row with alternate seating and every seat is offset from seat in front. IOW, every other seat is used but rows behind and in front are offset one from person in row behind them. This would allow for 36,000 fans with alternate seat seating and front to back seats are offset from seat in front of them.

Anything after that would be probable thermal screening with pulse oximeter if needed, masks for all, and seating in all seats.

Here is just one idea of how stadiums might be used initially to allow some few fans in and still follow social distancing rules. According to this , if social distancing stays in place, here's how you could have SOME fan participation in games.

Oh, it goes without saying that outdoor stadiums would ONLY be used initially if some fans were allowed in. Could make a case for only outdoor stadiums be used the entire yr. if fans are to be alllowed in altho on a limited basis as noted above.

Same sort of arrangements could be made for basketball games and same would apply to airplane seats. Problem there is that in both cases, those are enclosed spaces and for that to happen, an entirely different type of air filtration system would be needed if social distancing were to continue.

How would you decide which season ticket holders get to attend and where they will sit? Having a drawing every week isn't very practical. It would make it hard for fans to make plans to attend if they didn't find out until a few days ahead when or if they would be able to go. I guess you could weight the drawing for fans that had been ticket holders the longest like they do for the SB. People that paid $350 for a 50 yard line seat aren't going to be happy in the end zone. I can see fights breaking out between fans and ushers over who gets the best seats. Better to have no fans until they can resume normal operations. I doubt that 11or 12 thousand fans in the stands would make enough noise to pump up the teams.

Two things.
1. The idea was to show at least one way in which some fans could get in to see games, and still have social distancing. But rest assured, this was done on the back of a napkin and the NFL will have much, much better plans in place. This was just to show one way it could possilbly open up fan participation. Probably right now the NFL has half a dozen very well thot out plans for getting some fans back into stadiums, once NFL commish, all NFL team owners, Gov Newsome and somebody medical, perhaps CDC gives their blessing to ok, start re-introducing fans into stadiums, but gradually and with screening beforehand, (thermal imaging, pulse oximeter, are two).

2. I was aware of your very question and did not think it thru, as the potential for problems, exactly as you stated would certainly arise. I was more interested in seeing if a somewhat safe method for reintroducing fans into stadiums could be put together. And here is just one of probably many ways. The issue of fairness to ticket holders ...that is an entirely different ball of wax and is more a job for the owners/ season tix holders to hash out. Length of time holding season tix could be one way, but who knows, maybe a drawing or some such wold be considered. Pointedly, i did not address this side of the equation, but it would have to be dealt with. I was more interested in coming up wiht a simple way to have some fans in attendance safely...nothing more. Again, i won't have the answer, the NFL and owners will. But here is just one simplistic way to go about it. NFL will have experts to lean on for ideas.

I'm sure a large percentage of season ticket holders would willingly opt out. I've read surveys stating that most fans would not be comfortable returning until there's a vaccine or effective treatment. As a season ticket holder, not sure if I would attend at this point.
As states are starting to re-open they are relying on people to self impose precautions like distancing and limiting the size of gatherings. The problem is that we as a society don't have a lot of restraint. We go into stores now and still see people that don't wear a mask. We see groups gather in defiance of state and local orders. I see restaurants violate health codes all the time, even before this virus. The fact is we aren't good at doing things in moderation. We want it all and we want it now.

However this thing shakes out sports are definitely going to look a lot different. Little or no pre season. Shortened training camps. No fans in the stands. California just said that the Cal State University system will be doing classes online for the fall semester which means no students on campus and no sports. I expect a lot of other colleges will follow. If the NFL opens the season and players start to get sick will they shut it down or keep playing?
As states are starting to re-open they are relying on people to self impose precautions like distancing and limiting the size of gatherings. The problem is that we as a society don't have a lot of restraint. We go into stores now and still see people that don't wear a mask. We see groups gather in defiance of state and local orders. I see restaurants violate health codes all the time, even before this virus. The fact is we aren't good at doing things in moderation. We want it all and we want it now.

However this thing shakes out sports are definitely going to look a lot different. Little or no pre season. Shortened training camps. No fans in the stands. California just said that the Cal State University system will be doing classes online for the fall semester which means no students on campus and no sports. I expect a lot of other colleges will follow. If the NFL opens the season and players start to get sick will they shut it down or keep playing?

im more worried of the 2nd wave. Same thing happened during the 1918 Flu pandemic in which most people actually died during the 2nd wave when people thought it was ok to go back out again.

If we go out and start to reopen now a 2nd wave will happen within 2-3 months
Super Bowl!

I don't wear a f**king mask cause I hate people.
No need to repost my too-long post at top of page. But here are several more facts that i guessed wrong.. Kyle Stadium, one of the huge ones in college football and home to the Texas Aggies, helped out with a release of a proposed seating during the covid time. Kyle seats 102,000 and change. Ohio State, another large venue, 105,000. Courtesy of Kyle stadium:

Seating is every 4th seat, not every 3. Two seats between fans is only. 4 feet, not 6. That means that 1/4 of seats are available,...unless the seating is every other row, which is what I initially suggested we start with. For Kyle Stadium, it is 1/4 of the available seating, x 1/2 which would be every other row(their proposal).

So for a stadium seating 72,000, 1/4 is 18,000 and every other row, (divide by 2 )= max of 9000 fans to be considered not absolutely safe, but reasonably so. Is seating 9000 fans in Levi's worth that much hassle not to mention some risk? Sure doesn't seem so. And that doesn't even include issues like city/county liability, owners liability, how to choose fans to attend game, and so on.

For 9000 fans that seems like an awful lot of work. As originally stated by Mark Cuban on the president's sports advisory board and general advisor for restarting the economy as well....NFL games will start out being played in empty stadiums. Same for NBA, NHL, and then baseball... is a bit uncertain. They are still looking at the Korean model.

One other clarification, is use of masks. A mask does help prevent you from coughing or even breathing on others. But make no mistake a mask , esp N95s, do protect the wearer from other people's infection, whether it be staph, strep, or covid 19. Masks do decrease the spread of covid from one person to another. But no question , surgical masks do greatly decrease the chance of the wearer giving covid to someone else, as well as protecting themselves from covid also.

From a purely medical standpoint, as well as taking public health of the general public into consideration, it would seem both unwise as well as unsafe to not wear a mask in public during the covid scourge.

Thanks to Kyle stadium(also WSJ) for their initial proposal data.**

Elsewhere it has been stated that if college classes do not come about , there will be no NCAA football. Sorry, i don't recall the source but it was on a sports talk show, probably ESPN.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 18, 2020 at 10:13 AM ]
Newsom already clarifying that CA can have fan-less sport events as early as June. Unless the dickish nature of the Santa Clara government pushes against that then there's no reason the NFL season can't move forward, at least how things are looking right now.
Share 49ersWebzone