LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 255 users in the forums

53-Man Roster & Depth Chart(2020)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Force_Choke:
Big perm, I mean Sherm gets paid too much. He isn't worth half that because age. I'm not dogging your skills, just Father Time is unseated and Sherm is slow. That said, one more year. (This one)

You think $9M a year is too much for Sherman? He's still at the top of his game. Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman would burn just about any CB in the NFL.
I read 13.9m cap hit. IMHO, he isn't worth that but I also understand CB don't grow on trees. I'm not hating so much. It's time to start looking for his replacement. He is getting slower and that's just life. I'm not calling for his head but I'm pretty sure his Momma had to get on the post game interview and pump her son up. She sees it too. Good Luck 25.
Big perm, I mean Sherm gets paid too much. He isn't worth half that because age. I'm not dogging your skills, just Father Time is unseated and Sherm is slow. That said, one more year. (This one)

You think $9M a year is too much for Sherman? He's still at the top of his game. Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman would burn just about any CB in the NFL.
I read 13.9m cap hit. IMHO, he isn't worth that but I also understand CB don't grow on trees. I'm not hating so much. It's time to start looking for his replacement. He is getting slower and that's just life. I'm not calling for his head but I'm pretty sure his Momma had to get on the post game interview and pump her son up. She sees it too. Good Luck 25.

The reason for the near $14M cap hit is $3M in incentives counting against the cap, and he got a $1M signing bonus that he was promised when he missed his Play Time Incentive. He's only getting like $10M in cash this year, well worth the money, he's a great mentor for the likes of K'Waun, Moseley, Ahkello and other young DBs.
I agree, his mentoring (intangibles) is worth the cap hit this year. Thanks for breaking the incentives down for me. I'm not a Sherman-hater. I just think it's time they start looking hard to replace him. Then hire him as a coach or something. It's the decline in "fast twitch" that concerns me. I will gladly eat the humble pie if I'm wrong.
[ Edited by Force_Choke on Aug 1, 2020 at 9:49 AM ]
I agree, his mentoring (intangibles) is worth the cap hit this year. Thanks for breaking the incentives down for me. I'm not a Sherman-hater. I just think it's time they start looking hard to replace him. Then hire him as a coach or something. It's the decline in "fast twitch" that concerns me. I will gladly eat the humble pie if I'm wrong.

I agree on looking for the replacement, I think he comes back in 2021, but they do need to draft a CB high in the next 2 drafts.
If this year you can put anyone on the PS, even if they have exceeded the previous PT limit, how does that affect the cap? Could you move a Pettis to the PS and remove his salary from the the 53?
Pettis will count because he is part of the top 51 salaries. Pettis will be our 6th or 7th WR, and hopefully our KR/PR.
Pre-Camp projected 53 Man Roster with Reed and Benjamin Adjustment:

QB- (2) Garoppolo, Mullens

RB- (4) Coleman, Mostert, McKinnon, Wilson

FB- (1) Juszczyk

WR- (6) Deebo, Bourne, Aiyuk, Taylor, Hurd, Pettis

TE- (4) Kittle, J.Reed, Woerner, Dwelley

OL- (9) Williams, Tomlinson, Richburg, Brunskill, McGlinchey, Garland, Skule, Compton, Mckivitz

DL- (9) Bosa, Kinlaw, Jones, Armstead, Ford,Thomas, Hyder, Givens, Street

LB- (5) Warner, Greenlaw, Alexander, Walker, Al-Shaair

CB- (6) Sherman, Moseley, Witherspoon, Verrett, Williams, Harris

S - (4) Ward, Tartt, Harris, Moore

K- (1) Gould

P- (1) Wishnowsky

LS- (1) Nelson

Practice Squad- 16 (New Covid Rule's Practice Squad's untouchable 4 players - in bold)

QB- Beathard

SS- Mayden

OT- S.Coleman

WR- Jennings

RB- Ahmed

CB- Acy

WR- Finke

OL- Reynolds

DL- Kongbo

DL- D.Daniels

LB- Griffith

TE- Harrell

SS- Taylor

RB- Hasty

FB- Hokit

TE- Helm

PUP-

Blair

J.Taylor

Active/non-football injury list

R.James

Reserve/non-football injury list

DJ Reed
[ Edited by 60sFan on Aug 4, 2020 at 8:01 PM ]
53 Man Roster

Offensive Personnel: --- 25
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; Nick Mullens & C.J. BeatHard
RB: Tevin Coleman; Raheem Mostert & Jerick McKinnon
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE: George Kittle; Jordan Reed & Charlie Woerner
XWR: Brandon Aiyuk; Tavon Austin
SWR: Kendrick Bourne; Trent Taylor
ZWR/F: Deebo Samuel; Jalen Hurd
LT: Trent Williams; William Sweet
LG: Laken Tomlinson
C: Weston Richburg; Ben Garland
RG: Daniel Brunskill; Spencer Long
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Colton McKivitz

Defensive Personnel: --- 25
LDE/W9: Arik Armstead; Dee Ford & Dion Jordan
2i: D.J. Jones; Kevin Givens
3T: Javon Kinlaw; Solomon Thomas
RDE/W9: Nick Bosa; Kerry Hyder & Ronald Blair
SAM: Kwon Alexander
MIKE: Fred Warner; Jonas Griffith
WILL: Dre Greenlaw; Joe Walker
RCB: Emmanuel Moseley; Jason Verrett
SCB: K'Waun Williams; Jamar Taylor
LCB: Richard Sherman; Ahkello Witherspoon
FS: Jimmie Ward; Tarvarius Moore
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Marcell Harris

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Mitch Wishnowsky

-----------------------------------

KOR: Brandon Aiyuk & Tavon Austin
PR: Tavon Austin; Trent Taylor
GR: Raheem Mostert & Tarvarious Moore

Injured Reserve:
CB Teez Tabor - Waived
SCB D.J. Reed - Waived
DE Ronald Blair III
3T Kentavius Street - Activated
3T Jullian Taylor
ZWR Shawn Poindexter - Activated
C Weston Richburg
ZWR Deebo Samuel
SWR/PR Richie James Jr.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 12, 2020 at 12:45 PM ]
This season will be most interesting due to COVID-19, that is if there is a FULL season. I must admit, this season is perhaps one of the easiest 53 (55) to predict in a long time. Continuity is the word. For the first time in a long time we have some real continuity, both on the roster and the coaching staff, and it's paying major dividends. Of the 22 starting positions I don't see more than 2, maybe 3 positions that are legitimately up for grabs, barring injury (RG, #2 CB). We have drafted extremely well. 34 of my projected 53 are homegrown guys. And from what I can tell Shanny looks to favor playing "his" guys, which is good. This keeps the salary cap at a manageable level. As usual the italicized will be the game-day roster (48). We all know, or should know, that the game day rosters are dynamic, not static. They change from week to week, depending on the opponent. Starters are indicated by an asterisk.

QB – 2
Jimmy G.*
Nick Mullins

I'd be really shocked if we keep 3 QB's for another season, especially given the talent we have. I know, many here are projecting that C.J. will be on the roster, but I just don't see that happening this season. That roster spot can be better filled with a player that we're likely to get actual playing time. Shanny has done a very good job at putting it out there that he's willing to carry 3 QB's, so I see a camp trade with another team for a future pick. There are more than a few teams out there that C.J. can legitimately push for a starting job, and he'd be an unquestioned #2 for 90% of the teams, IMHO. I think Shanny would make sure he's traded to a team C.J. could actually have a potential to start.

RB – 4
T. Coleman*
R. Mostert
J. McKinnon
J. Hasty

Personally, I'm a bit ambivalent about McKinnon. I know, he's a guy that Shanny targeted early, and Lynch gave him a handsome contract, now restructured. But I must say, now that he's (according to reports) healthy, if he misses any games for so much as a hangnail I'm gonna be out on him. I know he's supremely talented but what good is having supreme talent on the roster if the team can never realize or benefit from that talent? Supreme talent that can never see the field is no better than a PS player, in fact they're worse. If he's injured again I'm gonna be among those who beg for an injury settlement.

Now, this brings me to Hasty. But for the depth at WR this year Hasty would have been drafted, probably no later than the 5th. Mark it here, Hasty will make this team. He's tailor-made for Shanny's system. He actually reminds me of McKinnon (healthy). While being a tic slower than Mostert (Hasty ran a 4.55 at the combine) Hasty's pass protection would, in my mind, be the best of the 4 RB's. This makes him a real danger to Colman, McKinnon, and Mostert. He has great hands out of the backfield, is a very smart, a finisher at the end of run, and has the ability to run good routes from the slot. He's a version of Frank Gore that fits Shanny's scheme. Look for Hasty to play a major role in 2020.

FB – 1
Juszczyk*

Umm, nothing to see here.

WR – 6
D. Samuel (lock)*
B. Aiyuk (lock)*
K. Bourne (lock)
J. Hurd (lock)
T. Taylor (near lock)
J. Jennings
[If we keep 7] T. Benjamin/D. Pettis

. . . but a lot to see here! I truly think we're seeing some evolution in Shanny's view on WR's since he first was named HC. Before, I don't think he placed any value on physical big-bodied WR's. And while I still don't think he places a premium on size and physicality I do think he's starting to come around the reality that you cannot stock your WR corp with smallish slot-style WR and be successful. Sure, from the 20 to 20 yard line those style of WR's are great. But in the red-zone your' gonna need size and physicality. In the NFL you just cannot get around that. While speed kills size DO matter in the NFL.

I don't think we will carry more than 6 WR's. I also don't see Pettis making the 2020 team. The only way I see Pettis making this team is if we keep 7 WR's, and even then it's still gonna be difficult. Given the last two drafts I just find it hard to find the justification to further protect him. Just who does he make the team over? From what I see there are at the very least 5 locks at the WR spot, and Pettis isn't one of them. That leaves Jennings, Benjamin, and Pettis to battle for a roster spot. Although Taylor (near lock) has been hurt he does have very good chemistry with Jimmy G. and has put a far better product on tape than has Pettis. That has, at the very least, justified Taylor a roster spot. Jennings, IMHO, will make the 53. His YAC game is just too juicy in Shanny's scheme to leave off the roster. His size and physicality makes him a dangerous target for Jimmy G. to exploit. All he needs to do is show consistency in practice (which we won't have access to) and that'll make it very difficult to leave him off the 53. He's not making it 3 hours on the PS. I know that Richie James was on the COVID/Reserve list, but honesty I do not see where he fits. Frankly, his skill-set is already well represented on the roster, so he's not making it over Taylor.

Personally, I think we are gonna have the most potent, most well rounded WR corp in the league. We'll have a great mixture of speed, physicality, size, and versatility.

TE – 3
G. Kittle*
J. Reed
C. Woerner

The signing of Jordan Reed was a bit of a surprise for me. It means that Dwelley is a goner; signing Reed means nothing for Kittle. I think Shanny wants to feature more 2 TE sets with 2 very threatening TE's. With Kittle and Reed on the field at the same time it will be a real problem for defenses. Even worse, Kittle and Reed on the field at the same time and on the same side will cause all manner of match-up nightmares for defenses. Don't think there's room for more than 3 TE's on this roster though. Otherwise a pretty easy group to predict. I'm looking for Woerner to have an outstanding rookie year as Kittle and Reed will get the defenses best safeties and cover LBs. Have to get Kittle signed though; make him the top paid TE in the league. Now, I don't agree that a TE should be paid as a WR, but he should be paid his worth commensurate with his position. In any event, when we go 3 TE sets its gonna be real trouble for defenses.

OL – 9
T. Williams*
L. Tomlinson*
W. Richburg*
C. McKivitz*
M. McGlinchey*
B. Garland
D. Brunskil
S. Coleman
T. Compton

This is a position group I don't see a lot of competition. The RG is the only position I see as up for grabs, between McKivitz, Garland, and Compton. I really see McKivitz winning this. He's the meaner, nastier competitor that I think will put this O-line over the top as one of the league's best O-lines. Compton is bit of a mystery to me. On the one hand I can see him making the 53 due to his experience. But on the other hand I feel if Compton cannot win the starting RG job he could be a gonner. I also see him somewhat in a roster battle with Shon Coleman. Coleman is a better OT, but Compton can play multiple positions. From what I read Shanny likes Compton and Coleman. To be honest, I'd prefer Coleman over Compton. In any event, this means Skule is likely out. In all, it's scary to think that the O-line could actually be better this season than last season. I really hope T. Williams isn't a one year rental. I'd like to think we can keep him long-term.

DL – 10
N. Bosa*
A. Armstead*
J. Kinlaw*
D. Ford*
S. Thomas
R. Blair
D.J. Jones
D. Daniels
J. Taylor
K. Hyder/K. Givens

My goodness, even without Buckner this D-line is still the best in the league, with by far the best rotation in the league. The D-line is where this team is based. So 10 roster spots committed to the D-line is warranted. We have drafted exceptionally well at this position. I think Kinlaw, while not Buck, will be a great replacement. Don't be surprised to see him getting PB nods. But I also won't be surprised to see Thomas start the season as the 3-tech, then Kinlaw gradually take over. In any event, we're gonna field a top 3 D-line in 2020. I have Daniels making the 53 due to he's the only other true 0/1 tech behind D.J. Jones, should he go down. My only worry is that he's a rookie. I like Street, but we just haven't seen enough, and I'm not convinced about Givens. If Blair and Taylor can stay healthy I see both having breakout seasons. Both of them can spot in at all 4 spots on the DL (depending on the front).

LB – 5
F. Warner*
K. Alexander*
D. Greenlaw*
A. Al-Shaair
J. Walker

Another position group not too difficult to project. Probably the most versatile LB group in the league. I know folks won't wanna hear this but if healthy Alexander will continue to get the start at the WILL, but from everything that I've been reading I think Lynch & Co. might want to get from out under his contract. Otherwise he'll likely be the WILL. I think J. Walker pushes Mark Nzeocha off the roster. While both are ST aces Walker is a better LB than Nzeocha, faster, and three years younger. So Walker provides more value.

CB – 6
R. Sherman*
A. Witherspoon*
K. Williams
E. Mosley
J. Taylor/J. Verrett
D. Acy/T.Harris

Gonna see some surprise cuts here. This is a position group, like the WR's, that's gonna be a hotly contested group. The way I see it, Richard Sherman is the only unquestioned starter. K'Waun Williams is the unquestioned slot CB. All others are up for grabs, so I would not be surprised to see Witherspoon loose his starting job outright. I think versatility is gonna be a real key to making the 53 in this position group. So, I just don't see how D.J. Reed fits. Everyone in front of him are better defenders. Even before his injury I didn't see him making the team. And there's gonna be a real competition behind K. Williams for the slot. I am really pulling for DeMarkus Acy to make this 53, in fact I'm going out on a limb to predict that he will. He's the prototypical 4-3 CB who's really physical with the size, physicality, better than adequate speed, loose hips, exceptional ball-skills, great in man and zone, and strong willing tackler needed for this style of 4-3 defense. Not to mention he has good character and will have a real locker room presence. The WR market really skewed a lot of position groups draft stock; in any other draft season Acy would likely not have gotten out of the 6th round.

I am very doubtful that Verrett will make the 53. Way too much competition for him to stay healthy for, and I think he's gonna be in a serious battle with Jamar Taylor. Plus, I feel if he does make the team he will ultimately wind up on the IR at some point. And at this point where we're so close I just don't think we can continue to carry injury prone talent being paid to rehab while the team never actually realize that talent. We have enough of those types on the roster as it is. If Verrett stays healthy during camp I can see him beating out Taylor. But I won't bet on it.

SS – 2
J. Tartt*
M. Harris

FS – 2
J. Ward*
T. Moore

Not really seeing much change at either safety position. Unless there's an injury I just don't see anyone breaking through those 4. Unlike many I'm really thankful we didn't mortgage the teams' future to bring in Jamal Adams. Would be nice to have him but not at trading away top draft picks, especially when our safety position is better than solid.

ST – 3
R. Gould
M. Wishnowsky
K. Nelson

I cannot speak for anyone else, but my expectations are sky-high, at the very least back to the SB, or bust. We have a hell of a lot of players scheduled to be free agents next season, so we better win this thing. You know we're not gonna be able to re-sign everyone. I expect us to go 13-2. The Saints get their revenge (though it infuriates me a bit that we are playing them in NO for the 2nd year in a row) and we'll split with the Sea-pigeons. Outside of that I just don't see another team beating us unless we beat ourselves, or we're ravaged with injuries. Our 2020 schedule is surprisingly easy.

Cuts/trades:
C.J. Beathard (trade)
Donte Pettis (cut if we can't trade)
Mark Nzeocha
Jeff Wilson Jr. (if the rules allow)
Travis Benjamin
Dontae Johnson
Richie James Jr.
D.J. Reed Jr. (if the rules allow)
Ross Dwelley
Jason Verrett
Kentavius Street
Justin Skule
Jake Brendel

Thoughts?
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This season will be most interesting due to COVID-19, that is if there is a FULL season. I must admit, this season is perhaps one of the easiest 53 (55) to predict in a long time. Continuity is the word. For the first time in a long time we have some real continuity, both on the roster and the coaching staff, and it's paying major dividends. Of the 22 starting positions I don't see more than 2, maybe 3 positions that are legitimately up for grabs, barring injury (RG, #2 CB). We have drafted extremely well. 34 of my projected 53 are homegrown guys. And from what I can tell Shanny looks to favor playing "his" guys, which is good. This keeps the salary cap at a manageable level. As usual the italicized will be the game-day roster (48). We all know, or should know, that the game day rosters are dynamic, not static. They change from week to week, depending on the opponent. Starters are indicated by an asterisk.

QB – 2
Jimmy G.*
Nick Mullins

I'd be really shocked if we keep 3 QB's for another season, especially given the talent we have. I know, many here are projecting that C.J. will be on the roster, but I just don't see that happening this season. That roster spot can be better filled with a player that we're likely to get actual playing time. Shanny has done a very good job at putting it out there that he's willing to carry 3 QB's, so I see a camp trade with another team for a future pick. There are more than a few teams out there that C.J. can legitimately push for a starting job, and he'd be an unquestioned #2 for 90% of the teams, IMHO. I think Shanny would make sure he's traded to a team C.J. could actually have a potential to start.

RB – 4
T. Coleman*
R. Mostert
J. McKinnon
J. Hasty

Personally, I'm a bit ambivalent about McKinnon. I know, he's a guy that Shanny targeted early, and Lynch gave him a handsome contract, now restructured. But I must say, now that he's (according to reports) healthy, if he misses any games for so much as a hangnail I'm gonna be out on him. I know he's supremely talented but what good is having supreme talent on the roster if the team can never realize or benefit from that talent? Supreme talent that can never see the field is no better than a PS player, in fact they're worse. If he's injured again I'm gonna be among those who beg for an injury settlement.

Now, this brings me to Hasty. But for the depth at WR this year Hasty would have been drafted, probably no later than the 5th. Mark it here, Hasty will make this team. He's tailor-made for Shanny's system. He actually reminds me of McKinnon (healthy). While being a tic slower than Mostert (Hasty ran a 4.55 at the combine) Hasty's pass protection would, in my mind, be the best of the 4 RB's. This makes him a real danger to Colman, McKinnon, and Mostert. He has great hands out of the backfield, is a very smart, a finisher at the end of run, and has the ability to run good routes from the slot. He's a version of Frank Gore that fits Shanny's scheme. Look for Hasty to play a major role in 2020.

FB – 1
Juszczyk*

WR – 6
D. Samuel (lock)*
B. Aiyuk (lock)*
K. Bourne (lock)
J. Hurd (lock)
T. Taylor (near lock)
J. Jennings

. . . but a lot to see here! I truly think we're seeing some evolution in Shanny's view on WR's since he first was named HC. Before, I don't think he placed any value on physical big-bodied WR's. And while I still don't think he places a premium on size and physicality I do think he's starting to come around the reality that you cannot stock your WR corp with smallish slot-style WR and be successful. Sure, from the 20 to 20 yard line those style of WR's are great. But in the red-zone your' gonna need size and physicality. In the NFL you just cannot get around that. While speed kills size DO matter in the NFL.

I don't think we will carry more than 6 WR's. I also don't see Pettis making the 2020 team. The only way I see Pettis making this team is if we keep 7 WR's, and even then it's still gonna be difficult. Given the last two drafts I just find it hard to find the justification to further protect him. Just who does he make the team over? From what I see there are at the very least 5 locks at the WR spot, and Pettis isn't one of them. That leaves Jennings, Benjamin, and Pettis to battle for a roster spot. Although Taylor (near lock) has been hurt he does have very good chemistry with Jimmy G. and has put a far better product on tape than has Pettis. That has, at the very least, justified Taylor a roster spot. Jennings, IMHO, will make the 53. His YAC game is just too juicy in Shanny's scheme to leave off the roster. His size and physicality makes him a dangerous target for Jimmy G. to exploit. All he needs to do is show consistency in practice (which we won't have access to) and that'll make it very difficult to leave him off the 53. He's not making it 3 hours on the PS. I know that Richie James was on the COVID/Reserve list, but honesty I do not see where he fits. Frankly, his skill-set is already well represented on the roster, so he's not making it over Taylor.

Personally, I think we are gonna have the most potent, most well rounded WR corp in the league. We'll have a great mixture of speed, physicality, size, and versatility.

TE – 3
G. Kittle*
J. Reed
C. Woerner

The signing of Jordan Reed was a bit of a surprise for me. It means that Dwelley is a goner; signing Reed means nothing for Kittle. I think Shanny wants to feature more 2 TE sets with 2 very threatening TE's. With Kittle and Reed on the field at the same time it will be a real problem for defenses. Even worse, Kittle and Reed on the field at the same time and on the same side will cause all manner of match-up nightmares for defenses. Don't think there's room for more than 3 TE's on this roster though. Otherwise a pretty easy group to predict. I'm looking for Woerner to have an outstanding rookie year as Kittle and Reed will get the defenses best safeties and cover LBs. Have to get Kittle signed though; make him the top paid TE in the league. Now, I don't agree that a TE should be paid as a WR, but he should be paid his worth commensurate with his position. In any event, when we go 3 TE sets its gonna be real trouble for defenses.

OL – 9
T. Williams*
L. Tomlinson*
W. Richburg*
C. McKivitz*
M. McGlinchey*
B. Garland
D. Brunskil
S. Coleman
T. Compton

This is a position group I don't see a lot of competition. The RG is the only position I see as up for grabs, between McKivitz, Garland, and Compton. I really see McKivitz winning this. He's the meaner, nastier competitor that I think will put this O-line over the top as one of the league's best O-lines. Compton is bit of a mystery to me. On the one hand I can see him making the 53 due to his experience. But on the other hand I feel if Compton cannot win the starting RG job he could be a gonner. I also see him somewhat in a roster battle with Shon Coleman. Coleman is a better OT, but Compton can play multiple positions. From what I read Shanny likes Compton and Coleman. To be honest, I'd prefer Coleman over Compton. In any event, this means Skule is likely out. In all, it's scary to think that the O-line could actually be better this season than last season. I really hope T. Williams isn't a one year rental. I'd like to think we can keep him long-term.

DL – 10
N. Bosa*
A. Armstead*
J. Kinlaw*
D. Ford*
S. Thomas
R. Blair
D.J. Jones
D. Daniels
J. Taylor
K. Hyder/K. Givens

My goodness, even without Buckner this D-line is still the best in the league, with by far the best rotation in the league. The D-line is where this team is based. So 10 roster spots committed to the D-line is warranted. We have drafted exceptionally well at this position. I think Kinlaw, while not Buck, will be a great replacement. Don't be surprised to see him getting PB nods. But I also won't be surprised to see Thomas start the season as the 3-tech, then Kinlaw gradually take over. In any event, we're gonna field a top 3 D-line in 2020. I have Daniels making the 53 due to he's the only other true 0/1 tech behind D.J. Jones, should he go down. My only worry is that he's a rookie. I like Street, but we just haven't seen enough, and I'm not convinced about Givens. If Blair and Taylor can stay healthy I see both having breakout seasons. Both of them can spot in at all 4 spots on the DL (depending on the front).

LB – 5
F. Warner*
K. Alexander*
D. Greenlaw*
A. Al-Shaair
J. Walker

Another position group not too difficult to project. Probably the most versatile LB group in the league. I know folks won't wanna hear this but if healthy Alexander will continue to get the start at the WILL, but from everything that I've been reading I think Lynch & Co. might want to get from out under his contract. Otherwise he'll likely be the WILL. I think J. Walker pushes Mark Nzeocha off the roster. While both are ST aces Walker is a better LB than Nzeocha, faster, and three years younger. So Walker provides more value.

CB – 6
R. Sherman*
A. Witherspoon*
K. Williams
E. Mosley
J. Taylor/J. Verrett
D. Acy/T.Harris

Gonna see some surprise cuts here. This is a position group, like the WR's, that's gonna be a hotly contested group. The way I see it, Richard Sherman is the only unquestioned starter. K'Waun Williams is the unquestioned slot CB. All others are up for grabs, so I would not be surprised to see Witherspoon loose his starting job outright. I think versatility is gonna be a real key to making the 53 in this position group. So, I just don't see how D.J. Reed fits. Everyone in front of him are better defenders. Even before his injury I didn't see him making the team. And there's gonna be a real competition behind K. Williams for the slot. I am really pulling for DeMarkus Acy to make this 53, in fact I'm going out on a limb to predict that he will. He's the prototypical 4-3 CB who's really physical with the size, physicality, better than adequate speed, loose hips, exceptional ball-skills, great in man and zone, and strong willing tackler needed for this style of 4-3 defense. Not to mention he has good character and will have a real locker room presence. The WR market really skewed a lot of position groups draft stock; in any other draft season Acy would likely not have gotten out of the 6th round.

I am very doubtful that Verrett will make the 53. Way too much competition for him to stay healthy for, and I think he's gonna be in a serious battle with Jamar Taylor. Plus, I feel if he does make the team he will ultimately wind up on the IR at some point. And at this point where we're so close I just don't think we can continue to carry injury prone talent being paid to rehab while the team never actually realize that talent. We have enough of those types on the roster as it is. If Verrett stays healthy during camp I can see him beating out Taylor. But I won't bet on it.

SS – 2
J. Tartt*
M. Harris

FS – 2
J. Ward*
T. Moore

Not really seeing much change at either safety position. Unless there's an injury I just don't see anyone breaking through those 4. Unlike many I'm really thankful we didn't mortgage the teams' future to bring in Jamal Adams. Would be nice to have him but not at trading away top draft picks, especially when our safety position is better than solid.

ST – 3
R. Gould
M. Wishnowsky
K. Nelson

I cannot speak for anyone else, but my expectations are sky-high, at the very least back to the SB, or bust. We have a hell of a lot of players scheduled to be free agents next season, so we better win this thing. You know we're not gonna be able to re-sign everyone. I expect us to go 13-2. The Saints get their revenge (though it infuriates me a bit that we are playing them in NO for the 2nd year in a row) and we'll split with the Sea-pigeons. Outside of that I just don't see another team beating us unless we beat ourselves, or we're ravaged with injuries. Our 2020 schedule is surprisingly easy.

Cuts/trades:
C.J. Beathard (trade)
Mark Nzeocha
Travis Benjamin
Dontae Johnson
Richie James Jr.
Ross Dwelley
Jason Verrett
Kentavius Street
Justin Skule
Jake Brendel

Thoughts?

I can't see them keeping that many UDFAs.

If Compton isn't on the 48 man game day roster there is no reason to keep him, he has a per game roster bonus, and counts $2.7M, they'd save $1.95M by cutting him.

7 WRs seems likely with Deebo hurt, also I think Jennings is a PS player, without preseason these rookies won't have a chance to shine.

Brunskill likely gets the start at RG IMO not McKivitz.

Reed is on Active/NFI, ending his season.

QB – 2
Jimmy G.*
Nick Mullins

RB – 4
T. Coleman*
R. Mostert
J. McKinnon
J. Hasty

FB – 1
Juszczyk*

WR – 6
D. Samuel (lock)*
B. Aiyuk (lock)*
K. Bourne (lock)
J. Hurd (lock)
T. Taylor (near lock)
J. Jennings

TE – 3
G. Kittle*
J. Reed
C. Woerner

OL – 9
T. Williams*
L. Tomlinson*
W. Richburg*
C. McKivitz*
M. McGlinchey*
B. Garland
D. Brunskil
S. Coleman
T. Compton

DL – 10
N. Bosa*
A. Armstead*
J. Kinlaw*
D. Ford*
S. Thomas
R. Blair
D.J. Jones
D. Daniels
J. Taylor
K. Hyder/K. Givens

LB – 5
F. Warner*
K. Alexander*
D. Greenlaw*
A. Al-Shaair
J. Walker

CB – 6
R. Sherman*
A. Witherspoon*
K. Williams
E. Mosley
J. Taylor/J. Verrett
D. Acy/T.Harris

SS – 2
J. Tartt*
M. Harris

FS – 2
J. Ward*
T. Moore

ST – 3
R. Gould
M. Wishnowsky
K. Nelson

Cuts/trades:
C.J. Beathard (trade)
Mark Nzeocha
Travis Benjamin
Dontae Johnson
Richie James Jr.
Ross Dwelley
Jason Verrett
Kentavius Street
Justin Skule
Jake Brendel

Thoughts?

I can't see them keeping that many UDFAs.

If Compton isn't on the 48 man game day roster there is no reason to keep him, he has a per game roster bonus, and counts $2.7M, they'd save $1.95M by cutting him.

7 WRs seems likely with Deebo hurt, also I think Jennings is a PS player, without preseason these rookies won't have a chance to shine.

Brunskill likely gets the start at RG IMO not McKivitz.

Reed is on Active/NFI, ending his season.

I honestly think Deebo will be ready by week one, if not before. As for Jennings, I do agree that the lack of preseason hurts the rookies. But they can still shine in practice. For the most part coaches know what they have with their starters. So I think they'll adjust their practices to get a better look at the rookies and FA vets. I think that if Jennings is consistent in practice he'll make this team.
I honestly think Deebo will be ready by week one, if not before. As for Jennings, I do agree that the lack of preseason hurts the rookies. But they can still shine in practice. For the most part coaches know what they have with their starters. So I think they'll adjust their practices to get a better look at the rookies and FA vets. I think that if Jennings is consistent in practice he'll make this team.

He will be ready but he won't play until at least the 3rd game.
Originally posted by 60sFan:

He will be ready but he won't play until at least the 3rd game.
Sources?
Originally posted by NCommand:
53 Man Roster

Offensive Personnel: --- 26
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; Nick Mullens & C.J. BeatHard
RB: Tevin Coleman; Raheem Mostert & Jerick McKinnon
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE: George Kittle; Jordan Reed & Charlie Woerner
F/ZWR: Jalen Hurd
XWR: Brandon Aiyuk; Dante Pettis
SWR: Kendrick Bourne; Trent Taylor & Richie James
ZWR: Deebo Samuel
LT: Trent Williams; Shon Coleman
LG: Laken Tomlinson; Ross Reynolds
C: Weston Richburg; Ben Garland
RG: Daniel Brunskill; Colton McKivitz
RT: Mike McGlinchey

Defensive Personnel: --- 24
LDE/W9: Arik Armstead; Dee Ford
2i: D.J. Jones; Kevin Givens
3T: Javon Kinlaw; Solomon Thomas
RDE/W9: Nick Bosa; Ronald Blair & Dion Jordan
SAM: Kwon Alexander
MIKE: Fred Warner; Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles
WILL: Dre Greenlaw; Joe Walker
RCB: Emmanuel Moseley; Jason Verrett
SCB: K'Waun Williams; Jamar Taylor
LCB: Richard Sherman; Ahkello Witherspoon
FS: Jimmie Ward; Tarvarius Moore
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Marcell Harris

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Mitch Wishnowsky

KOR: Brandon Aiyuk & Richie James
PR: Richie James; Trent Taylor
GR: Raheem Mostert & Tarvarious Moore

Injured Reserve:
CB Teez Tabor - Waived
SCB D.J. Reed - Waived
DE Ronald Blair III
3T Kentavius Street - Activated
3T Jullian Taylor
ZWR Shawn Poindexter - Activated
C Weston Richburg
ZWR Deebo Samuel
SWR/PR Richie James Jr.

I don't think James will be ready for week 1, wasn't he supposed to be for up to 3 months? I forget when he was injured.

You're missing Kerry Hyder Jr., he's gonna make the roster, he's got $550K GTD in his deal, plus he's a good EDGE guy, and he knows Kourcerk very well.
53-Man Roster + Injured List:

1. QB 10 Jimmy Garoppolo(2022) - $26.6 million cap hit
2. QB 4 Nick Mullens(2020) - $750,000 cap hit
3. RB 31 Raheem Mostert(2021) - $3,158,333 cap hit
4. RB 26 Tevin Coleman(2020) - $4,868,750 cap hit
5. RB 28 Jerick McKinnon(2020) - $2.91 million cap hit
6. RB 30 Jeff Wilson Jr.(2020) - $750,000 cap hit
7. FB 44 Kyle Juszczyk(2020) - $6.7 million cap hit
8. WR 19 Deebo Samuel(2022) - $1,749,339 cap hit
9. WR 11 Brandon Aiyuk(2023) - $2,278,427 cap hit
10. WR 84 Kendrick Bourne(2020) - $3.259 million cap hit
11. WR 15 Trent Taylor(2020) - $875,487 cap hit
12. WR 18 Dante Pettis(2021)- $1,745,606 cap hit
13. WR 14 Jalen Hurd(2022) - $972,655 cap hit
14. WR 81 Jauan Jennings(2023)- $637,756 cap hit
15. WR 13 Richie James Jr.(2021)- $769,143 cap hit (NFI)
16. TE 85 George Kittle(2020) - $2,207,574 cap hit
17. TE --- Jordan Reed(2020)- N/A
18. TE 89 Charlie Woerner(2023) - $655,258 cap hit
19. C 58 Weston Richburg(2022) - $4,390,141 cap hit
20. C 63 Ben Garland(2020) - $2 million cap hit
21. LG 75 Laken Tomlinson(2021) - $5.75 million cap hit
22. RG 60 Daniel Brunskill(2020) - $675,000 cap hit
23. RG 66 Tom Compton(2020)- $2.7 million cap hit
24. RG 68 Colton McKivitz(2023) - $692,445 cap hit
25. LT 71 Trent Williams(2020) - $12.5 million cap hit
26. LT 78 Shon Coleman(2020) - $962,500 cap hit
27. RT 69 Mike McGlinchey(2021) - $5,092,330 cap hit
28. DE 91 Arik Armstead(2024) - $6 million cap hit
29. DE 97 Nick Bosa(2022) - $7,715,424 cap hit
30. DE 92 Kerry Hyder Jr.(2020) - $1.5 million cap hit
31. DE --- Dion Jordan(2020)- N/A
32. LEO 55 Dee Ford(2023) - $15,865,625 cap hit
33. LEO 98 Ronald Blair III(2020) - $1,047,500 cap hit (PUP)
34. DT 99 Javon Kinlaw(2023) - $2,816,127 cap hit
35. DT 94 Solomon Thomas(2020) - $7,715,424 cap hit
36. DT 90 Kevin Givens(2021) - $610,000 cap hit
37. NT 93 D.J. Jones(2020) - $861,967 cap hit
38. NT 77 Jullian Taylor(2021) - $774,511 cap hit (PUP)
39. SAM 57 Dre Greenlaw(2022) - $755,429 cap hit
40. MIKE 54 Fred Warner(2021) - $1,096,547 cap hit
41. MIKE 51 Azeez Al-Shaair(2021) - $680,000 cap hit
42. WILL 56 Kwon Alexander(2022) - $4,572,769 cap hit
43. WILL 59 Joe Walker(2020) - $900,000 cap hit
44. CB 25 Richard Sherman(2020) - $13,987,500 cap hit
45. CB 41 Emmanuel Moseley(2020) - $675,000 cap hit
46. CB 24 K'Waun Williams(2020) - $3,184,375 cap hit
47. CB 23 Ahkello Witherspoon(2020) - $2,376,393 cap hit
48. CB 22 Jason Verrett(2020)- $887,500 cap hit
49. CB 40 Jamar Taylor(2020)- $750,000 cap hit
50. FS 20 Jimmie Ward(2022) - $3,906,250 cap hit
51. FS 33 Tarvarius Moore(2021) - $946,093 cap hit
52. SS 29 Jaquiski Tartt(2020) - $6.275 million cap hit
53. SS 36 Marcell Harris(2020)- $750,000 cap hit
54. PK 9 Robbie Gould(2022) - $5.1 million cap hit
55. P 6 Mitch Wishnowsky(2022) - $866,018 cap hit
56. LS 86 Kyle Nelson(2022) - $1.05 million cap hit

Practice Squad:

1. QB 3 C.J. Beathard (Protected)
2. RB 35 Salvon Ahmed
3. RB 38 JaMycal Hasty
4. FB 49 Josh Hokit
5. TE 83 Chase Harrell
6. TE 82 Ross Dwelley (Protected)
7. TE 88 Daniel Helm
8. LG 76 Ross Reynolds
9. RT 67 Justin Skule (Protected)
10. NT 65 Darrion Daniels
11. LEO 61 Jonathan Kongbo
12. SAM 45 Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles
13. SAM 47 Jonas Griffith
14. CB 49 DeMarkus Acy
15. CB 35 Tim Harris Jr. (Protected)
16. SS 43 Jared Mayden

If I understand the PS rules, we can put Beathard on without him going through waivers, might be wrong,

I have 3 guys on Injured Lists, Blair, Taylor, and James.

I have Beathard, Dwelley, Skule, and Harris are the 4 protected PS players.
Share 49ersWebzone