LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

qb John Brodie

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love these stories. Keep them coming. Names like John Brodie, Gene Washington, Ted Kwalik, Jimmy Johnson, etc. There was a fullback in that era but I can't remember their name. That team is one of the reasons I so badly wanted Mike Nolan to succeed. I figured if he won, more spotlight would be on those early 70s Niners teams. These stories bring those Niners legends to life for me.
And I told y'all about my attorney's assistant/brother. Brodie took him in as a young man after a tragedy. I've seen pics of the house and the girls and all and I've no doubt it's a real story. I got flamed in here for believing a tall tale, but no one here's seen the pics I've seen and never will.

Kind and generous man, John Brodie.
John Brodie was, and still is my hero. When I was a kid he threw away his crutches and beat the Vikings with a TD pass to Dick Witcher to get us in the playoffs...I still cannot take what happened against Dallas...the 49ers were lovable losers every year, poor John had to endure the Dallas beating three years in a row. That amazing 1970 season that ended in such disappointment, this close to a Super Bowl...Brodie to Gene Washington was the first great QB/WR combo for the 9ers...John Brodie was my 1st quarterback I ever rooted for. I love this thread.#HOF.
Originally posted by CW49er:
John Brodie was, and still is my hero. When I was a kid he threw away his crutches and beat the Vikings with a TD pass to Dick Witcher to get us in the playoffs...I still cannot take what happened against Dallas...the 49ers were lovable losers every year, poor John had to endure the Dallas beating three years in a row. That amazing 1970 season that ended in such disappointment, this close to a Super Bowl...Brodie to Gene Washington was the first great QB/WR combo for the 9ers...John Brodie was my 1st quarterback I ever rooted for. I love this thread.#HOF.

Frelling Preston Riley muffing the Dallas onside kick. Cost us a Super Bowl trip.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I love these stories. Keep them coming. Names like John Brodie, Gene Washington, Ted Kwalik, Jimmy Johnson, etc. There was a fullback in that era but I can't remember their name. That team is one of the reasons I so badly wanted Mike Nolan to succeed. I figured if he won, more spotlight would be on those early 70s Niners teams. These stories bring those Niners legends to life for me.

Are you thinking of Ken Willard?
Ken Willard.

Anyway, love John B, that 70's team is forever in my brain ingrams. They are the reason I am wasting y'alls time today.

Checkout this link:

The Sports Illustrated Cover That Started It All
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Who?

Why would a Steelers fan know who he was
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Are you thinking of Ken Willard?

That's the name.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Ken Willard.

Anyway, love John B, that 70's team is forever in my brain ingrams. They are the reason I am wasting y'alls time today.

Checkout this link:

The Sports Illustrated Cover That Started It All

https://images.app.goo.gl/aV5Ra5ohgHcN54jt5
JB wearing the best niner uni ever
Here's another

You can look at all of the old mags here

Guys, My best friends dad coached the niners. I met a bunch of players . Wilcox seemed the meanest I ever met. Been in the locker room prior to games. And on the field a couple times before Monday night games. Field was horrible. Never will forget a couple of hours before the games in the locker rooms. In walks in Charlie Krueger and Ted Kwalik with cigs in their mouths smoking away. Jim Johnson was a gentleman , Cedrick Hardman was scary, Ralph McGill had the music blasting . Lots of stories. One in particular was after a game against the Steelers I met Dwight white and Joe Greene. Hardman played college ball with the in North Texas St. Brodie's daughter was hot Kelly. Lots of more stories if you guys want. Peace
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Who?

Why would a Steelers fan know who he was

Sorry. I followed the team during the tim rattay era
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
And I told y'all about my attorney's assistant/brother. Brodie took him in as a young man after a tragedy. I've seen pics of the house and the girls and all and I've no doubt it's a real story. I got flamed in here for believing a tall tale, but no one here's seen the pics I've seen and never will.

Kind and generous man, John Brodie.

I swam at that house as a kid. Used to do fourth of July with the family when I was too young to appreciate it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Originally posted by cciowa:
john brodie to gene washington and ted kwalik was just lovely to see. people think a qb controversy with the niners started with joe vs steve. untrue. it had its roots in 1972 when brodie sprained an ankle. steve spurrier came in and led us on a huge win streak to get us into the playoffs. that started it with people saying we need to dump old man brodie. well against the vikings on a saturday afternoon when we got down. brodie came in to save our bacon and get the win.

Brodie started out sharing time with future HOF Y.A. Tittle. He beat Tittle out and Tittle was traded. Later, he would platoon with George Mira (remember the "He's running the wrong way!" play - back then). Then he would win the fulltime job and make 2nd team All-Pro. Then, ...

the Niners drafted Heisman Trophy winner Steve Spurrier with the #3 overall pick in the first ever AFL/NFL draft.

THAT, my friends, was a QB controversy. And it wasn't even the first of Brodie's career.

Tittle went on to assure his HOF career with the Giants, after the 49ers traded him for a nothing guard named Lou Cordileone, IIRC. People talk about how horrible the Simpson trade was, and it was bad, but the Tittle trade was worse. Recency bias showing.

One of the classic pictures of Tittle was him after a game, sitting in the mud with his helmet off and blood all over his face. Warrior! If somebody finds it, post it in here.
Started my Niner fandom.
Originally posted by 16to87:
He was the QB that made me a football fan in my youth, one of the all-time 49er greats
Share 49ersWebzone