There are 170 users in the forums

qb John Brodie

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Facebook tells me that they are Celebrating the 50 year anniversary of John Brodie winning NFL MVP for the 1970 season. I am a bit shocked that I couldn't find a Brodie thread, so cheers to John Brodie.
He was the QB that made me a football fan in my youth, one of the all-time 49er greats
He was the first 49ers QB great I learned of when I got into 49ers history, pre-Walsh. I remember once I said in this forum Alex Smith could be like Brodie (after a solid 2010 season). I think my assessment was spot on, even though Smith never won MVP.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
john brodie to gene washington and ted kwalik was just lovely to see. people think a qb controversy with the niners started with joe vs steve. untrue. it had its roots in 1972 when brodie sprained an ankle. steve spurrier came in and led us on a huge win streak to get us into the playoffs. that started it with people saying we need to dump old man brodie. well against the vikings on a saturday afternoon when we got down. brodie came in to save our bacon and get the win.
Originally posted by cciowa:
john brodie to gene washington and ted kwalik was just lovely to see. people think a qb controversy with the niners started with joe vs steve. untrue. it had its roots in 1972 when brodie sprained an ankle. steve spurrier came in and led us on a huge win streak to get us into the playoffs. that started it with people saying we need to dump old man brodie. well against the vikings on a saturday afternoon when we got down. brodie came in to save our bacon and get the win.

Brodie started out sharing time with future HOF Y.A. Tittle. He beat Tittle out and Tittle was traded. Later, he would platoon with George Mira (remember the "He's running the wrong way!" play - back then). Then he would win the fulltime job and make 2nd team All-Pro. Then, ...

the Niners drafted Heisman Trophy winner Steve Spurrier with the #3 overall pick in the first ever AFL/NFL draft.

THAT, my friends, was a QB controversy. And it wasn't even the first of Brodie's career.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Brodie started out sharing time with future HOF Y.A. Tittle. He beat Tittle out and Tittle was traded. Later, he would platoon with George Mira (remember the "He's running the wrong way!" play - back then). Then he would win the fulltime job and make 2nd team All-Pro. Then, ...

the Niners drafted Heisman Trophy winner Steve Spurrier with the #3 overall pick in the first ever AFL/NFL draft.

THAT, my friends, was a QB controversy. And it wasn't even the first of Brodie's career.

i was only 12 but i loved spurrier. plus he was a decent punter. then i was sorry i hated on john as i saw him come in and beat the vikings. we all know what happened the next week vs dallas but thats beside the point
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
sad there are not more people chiming in on brodie.. guess i am showing my age . if started a thread about willie mcgee. most posters would ask why i am making a post about a cardinal baseball player in a niner thread
I used to see John once in awhile at the old Tarr & Feathers Saloon in Palo Alto. He was always drinking a beer, Coors if I remember right. I later saw him in Las Vegas when he was playing golf on the seniors tour at the Desert Inn. He was great with the fans and he was a really good golfer.
John replaced another legend...Y.A. Tittle. The Brodie to Gene Washington duo did a lot of damage...John had a knack for dropping the ball right into Gene's hands for a lot of long bombs that resulted in TD's. In just 4 seasons together, they combined for 31 TD's.
Brodie was a stud but the poor guy took a beating when the team moved to Candlestick and played on concrete covered by astroturf
https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv/bundles/218592 in this video

Originally posted by 16to87:
Brodie was a stud but the poor guy took a beating when the team moved to Candlestick and played on concrete covered by astroturf
https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv/bundles/218592 in this video

!971 was his last season as a starter. He already had 14 seasons in the NFL and back then QBs took a beating worse than even in Montana's era. He hung around 2 more years but he was pretty much done by then. If it wasn't for the Montana/Young 2 headed monster, John would still be remembered as the greatest Niner QB of all time.
Props to you English for starting this thread. JB was the first ball player I really became a fan of. Many good points made in this thread. It's a shame he isn't in the Hall of Fame. Both sides of the argument have been debated, but I think he should be in and ok I'll admit I'm a little biased but still. Was lucky as a kid my dad took me to see the 49ers at their UCSB training camp in the early 70's. Still have a photo John took with me. So gracious. Just about all of them that we came in contact with were. Also still have a couple posters of John & Gene Washington signed for me as well as several cards signed by various players. Such a thrill - Charlie Freakin Krueger, Ken Willard, Cedric Hardman, Ted Kwalik, Skip Vanderbundt, Frank Nunley, Vic Washington, Bruce Gossett, oh yes and the Ol' Ball Coach before he was that, and on & on...the Walsh era was amazing, and the current group is great, but I'll never forget these guys.
Originally posted by JBrodie4HOF:
Props to you English for starting this thread. JB was the first ball player I really became a fan of. Many good points made in this thread. It's a shame he isn't in the Hall of Fame. Both sides of the argument have been debated, but I think he should be in and ok I'll admit I'm a little biased but still. Was lucky as a kid my dad took me to see the 49ers at their UCSB training camp in the early 70's. Still have a photo John took with me. So gracious. Just about all of them that we came in contact with were. Also still have a couple posters of John & Gene Washington signed for me as well as several cards signed by various players. Such a thrill - Charlie Freakin Krueger, Ken Willard, Cedric Hardman, Ted Kwalik, Skip Vanderbundt, Frank Nunley, Vic Washington, Bruce Gossett, oh yes and the Ol' Ball Coach before he was that, and on & on...the Walsh era was amazing, and the current group is great, but I'll never forget these guys.

Post #12 how 'bout that?!
Who?
Originally posted by JBrodie4HOF:

And Frank Nunley's son posts on this board!! (Knows a lot about linebacking for some reason.)
Share 49ersWebzone