LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

2020 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

The worst thing we did was restructure contracts of injury prone players. That royally f___ed us because we pushed money back to players who won't even be able to see the field going forward or at least be at their original level. So we are paying duds a ton of money to either to sit on the bench or underperform because we pushed their money back which also gave us no room to sign anyone else.

If we're going to restructure guys, restructure healthy players who have a future here. Stop sabotaging the future by gambling with guys who can't stay on the field. Period.

Preach!

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Amen to this!

The team at this point just needs to eat its mistakes and cut Richburg and Ford. The dead money will suck, but you can draft a cheap replacement that will help minimize and/or negate the large sum of dead money you took on. Think I'm gonna make a thread on this.

I'll just add that while i hope we can get rid of Richburg and Ford, I hope against all odds, both make a 100% recovery and play well enough to maybe save us a defensive and offensive draft pick in next years draft. But those odds are very long. Hyder's been great and I hope we can get one more in this years draft.

I'd love to see both make it back, but I hope if they're kept, the 49ers will get both to take MASSIVE pay cuts, Dee has a $15.15M base, Richburg $7.85M, if we could somehow get them to go to the league minimum of $1.075M, they'd save $14.075M for Dee, & $6.775M for Richburg, that would make it so they wouldn't HAVE to redo Jimmy's deal.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
The worst thing we did was restructure contracts of injury prone players. That royally f___ed us because we pushed money back to players who won't even be able to see the field going forward or at least be at their original level. So we are paying duds a ton of money to either to sit on the bench or underperform because we pushed their money back which also gave us no room to sign anyone else.

If we're going to restructure guys, restructure healthy players who have a future here. Stop sabotaging the future by gambling with guys who can't stay on the field. Period.

Facts!!!

I think AB put it nicely, they needed to do it for *this* year because of all the (I think) injuries. I don't think it was done to jeopardize the cap future. Having said that, I think from what I've seen and from AB's work, they are in good shape capwise. Specially if the cap doesn't drop that much. If it does drop big time, then every team has to deal with that. But I think they will be letting go some big contracts this offseason - I can see them letting go Ford, Richburg, and maybe some other high priced veterans. Who knows, but with Praag there, I don't see them getting much into Cap-hell. Maybe cap-purgatory but not like what happened during the Erickson/Donahue years.

There were no other players to restructure other than Dee, Kwon, Richburg and Jimmy. They did redo Laken, which helped, but that leaves future dead money, if they tried to do something with a Juice or Trent, it may have just left dead money in 2021, since there is no guarantee anyone is coming back.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

I am not averse to bringing Tomsula back as the DC.

DL coach yes. Not DC please. He isn't good at defensive schemes.

Anyway, I doubt he wants to come back to SF after being fired as a HC.
Swoosh right over his head!!!
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

I am not averse to bringing Tomsula back as the DC.

DL coach yes. Not DC please. He isn't good at defensive schemes.

Anyway, I doubt he wants to come back to SF after being fired as a HC.
Swoosh right over his head!!!

We need someone internally to undermine Shanahan and Lynch.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I'd love to see both make it back, but I hope if they're kept, the 49ers will get both to take MASSIVE pay cuts, Dee has a $15.15M base, Richburg $7.85M, if we could somehow get them to go to the league minimum of $1.075M, they'd save $14.075M for Dee, & $6.775M for Richburg, that would make it so they wouldn't HAVE to redo Jimmy's deal.

Great point! Considering their current careers and injury history, the 49ers have leverage over them in negotiations, and that may be an additional reason for the 49ers to restructure these specific players, in addition to what you said previously.

Great point! Considering their current careers and injury history, the 49ers have leverage over them in negotiations, and that may be an additional reason for the 49ers to restructure these specific players, in addition to what you said previously.

I've already been told by an NFL source that Dee and Weston have zero leverage, either they take a pay cut or be cut. Dee might be tough since he has a injury GTD in his deal, but so did McKinnon, and he took a pay cut.

As for guys like Verrett, I was also told his injury issues will go against him, so the 49ers may be able to get him on a reasonable multi year deal, same with Hyder due to him only having really 2 good years. Also Trent should break what Garrett Bolles got, the source told me if Bolles could get what he got with 1 good year, then Trent should get more. I do believe Trent will stay here, he loves Kyle, he looks to love being a 49er, this is different than Sanders, Sanders left cause we are a run first team, he chose NO over us & DAL, and honestly I'm glad he did, Aiyuk proved to be a great replacement, just need to find another steal at WR, even if it's in the first 3 rounds, I am concerned about drafting another 1st rd WR, just because in 4 yrs, can we afford to pay 3 WRs top dollar, meaning $10M+ a year? That's a lot at one position. But if Kyle can get a UDFA RB to play well, like Breida, Hasty, Mostert, etc... then I guess we can splurge at WR.
Exactly why you don't want to drop Reed and McKinnon. They don't drop anything and can be used as 3rd down options and depth. Plus McKinnon can pass protect very well too. Both should be very cheap now.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

I've already been told by an NFL source that Dee and Weston have zero leverage, either they take a pay cut or be cut. Dee might be tough since he has a injury GTD in his deal, but so did McKinnon, and he took a pay cut.

As for guys like Verrett, I was also told his injury issues will go against him, so the 49ers may be able to get him on a reasonable multi year deal, same with Hyder due to him only having really 2 good years. Also Trent should break what Garrett Bolles got, the source told me if Bolles could get what he got with 1 good year, then Trent should get more. I do believe Trent will stay here, he loves Kyle, he looks to love being a 49er, this is different than Sanders, Sanders left cause we are a run first team, he chose NO over us & DAL, and honestly I'm glad he did, Aiyuk proved to be a great replacement, just need to find another steal at WR, even if it's in the first 3 rounds, I am concerned about drafting another 1st rd WR, just because in 4 yrs, can we afford to pay 3 WRs top dollar, meaning $10M+ a year? That's a lot at one position. But if Kyle can get a UDFA RB to play well, like Breida, Hasty, Mostert, etc... then I guess we can splurge at WR.

I agree with you on Trent, Verret, and Hyder.

I think Kyle is a good enough offensive coach to get replacements for Juice if Juice can't be resigned. As for the WR position, DeeBo and Aiyuk look like long term solutions, and with Kittle as the 3rd reciever- that's a good foundation for a good super bowl level offense. (Running back is solid with Wilson and Mostert) McKinnon adds depth. I think Kyle can get good potential WR backups in rounds 3 to 5 to develop behind the starters. (In addition to already having Hurd on the team)

I think this year he puts his draft capital on the OLine, specially with so many injuries to his QBs. I think his top two priorities this next offseason is OLine and DLine.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Exactly why you don't want to drop Reed and McKinnon. They don't drop anything and can be used as 3rd down options and depth. Plus McKinnon can pass protect very well too. Both should be very cheap now.

I agree with AB, if the 49ers can retain Trent, they can use the 12th pick to get defensive depth at either DLine or DB. If all the WR's on the team were healthy, I think we have a solid WR corps going into 2021. I think it would be worth it to devote significant cap space to Trent, to free up that 12th pick in the draft for team needs, and (As AB said) the 49ers have leverage over Ford and Richburg to free up enough needed capital to sign Trent.

Jason Verrett and K'Waun Williams are must resigns.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 13, 2021 at 11:16 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Jason Verrett and K'Waun Williams are must resigns.

Agree and add more Edge Rusher depth (just in case Bosa is on IR again) and some good raw developmental DB's from the later rounds in the NFL '21 draft.
Agree and add more Edge Rusher depth (just in case Bosa is on IR again) and some good raw developmental DB's from the later rounds in the NFL '21 draft.

Most definitely!!! Another top ER is critical to get.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Most definitely!!! Another top ER is critical to get.

The nice thing about the Wide Nine alignment is you can get heavier and maybe less mobile and less bendy Pass rushers to work in it. I.e. like how the WCO utilized undersized OLinemen vs Hall of fame Behemoths of the football stone age days. Case in point Hyder. Not a very impressive bendy and explosive guy, but he works in the Wide Nine alignment. I'd still love a healthy, bendy, explosive player like Ford in his younger days, but between a guy that is bendy but unreliable vs maybe two or three Hyder guys able to play on sunday, I'll take the three Hyder-type guys.
I wanted Trent, Juice, Hyder and Williams resigned. Then, hoped JDj, Eman, Verrett and Taylor would sign for lower dollars.

Torn on Bourne, but mainly because I fear Hurd might be a completely wasted pick. It seems like the days of a Sapolu or Kevin f*gan are gone.
Share 49ersWebzone