LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

2020 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Trent said he isn't interested in a rebuilding team, so I'd rule out the Jets.

Players say a lot of things. Cash is king.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Welp, Verrett and Hyder in NY will surely help Saleh get things started. Maybe bring over Trent Williams to protect whichever QB they draft at 2.

Crap, more competition for Wide 9 players.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Welp, Verrett and Hyder in NY will surely help Saleh get things started. Maybe bring over Trent Williams to protect whichever QB they draft at 2.

Ronnie Blair will be a Jet and that is a guarantee
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Trent said he isn't interested in a rebuilding team, so I'd rule out the Jets.

Players say a lot of things. Cash is king.

There's going to be a lot of teams trying to get Trent to go to their team. Doesn't have to be the Jets, could be some other bottom feeding team with just as much or more cap space.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I wish we could send them AA.

This raises an interesting question: Assuming Kocurek stays here, will Saleh continue to run a base wide 9 defense?

Yeah AA conned us
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

This raises an interesting question: Assuming Kocurek stays here, will Saleh continue to run a base wide 9 defense?

I don't see why not. Kocurek isn't the only coach that knows the Wide 9. I'm sure there are some college HC's or DC's that can run that scheme, or even some assistants of Jim Shorts that maybe are looking for jobs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah AA conned us

Maybe once Bosa is back and more depth at Edge via the draft, I hope he moves back inside and hopefully has better production.
I don't see why not. Kocurek isn't the only coach that knows the Wide 9. I'm sure there are some college HC's or DC's that can run that scheme, or even some assistants of Jim Shorts that maybe are looking for jobs.

Kocurek is the only coach left in the NFL that runs a base wide 9 with Schwartz retiring. Using wide 9 wrinkles in pass-rush packages is different than implementing a wide 9 base.

Nobody in college runs a base wide 9.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 14, 2021 at 10:08 PM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Kocurek is the only coach left in the NFL that runs a base wide 9 with Schwartz retiring. Using wide 9 wrinkles in pass-rush packages is different than implementing a wide 9 base.

Nobody in college runs a base wide 9.

Did a quick 5 min. research and found this old article. While not inclusive of all the coaches out there, Id' think Saleh would have somebody on his hot list that knows the Wide 9.

Brian Fleury: A lot of these coaching hires come down to connections, so how's this one: Fleury is a defensive quality control coach in San Francisco, where the 49ers have used plenty of wide-9 this year under DL coach Kris Kocurek. Kocurek was Jim Schwartz's DL coach in Detroit. And guess where Fleury worked before this season? With the Miami Dolphins under then-DC Matt Burke, who is on the Eagles' staff and has a long-standing relationship with Schwartz. In Miami, Fleury was a football research analyst but helped on the defensive side of the ball, including on the DL.

Pepper Johnson: Because Schwartz prefers the wide-9, getting a DL coach who knows how to run it is pretty important. Familiarity at this position might be more important than the other defensive coaching positions. Johnson was his DL coach in Buffalo in 2014. The problem is that Johnson is the DC for the Los Angeles Wildcats of the XFL. Would he be able to leave that league before it even starts?
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/7-candidates-replace-phillip-daniels-eagles-defensive-line-coach

Interesting thought.

Another one I had is the possible loss of Juice if we keep Garoppolo. More spread? More McVay offense in LAR?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 15, 2021 at 5:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone