LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

how does this 2019 team stack up against the 1981 49ers so far?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Current team would win 49-7 via 7 fake punt TD's from Mitch Wishnowsky
Originally posted by kelson49er:
I'm sorry, I must pause here...Kyle is cool and all, but a "pick'em" vs. Walsh is a bit premature. $20 fine, and go walk into the ocean, please. Thanks.

Ha ha! These young kids they just don't know.
Good lord, give it up. You sound like a fool.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Dude lol Walsh was in his 3rd year as is Kyle now. We are comparing how the teams were at their respective times, not overall. Dude I was old enough to remember Bill was being called a genius and ahead at his time. The exact same things they are sayin about Kyle.

In no way am I saying Kyle overall compares to Walsh in coaching terms ... lol not even. Kid has ways to go. At the times of their careers the same things were being said about Walsh as they are saying about Kyle.

So rescind your $20 fine and fk your ocean walk .
Bill Walsh would have created the Jerry Coast Offense if he coached old mate Haynesy
Originally posted by Niners_D:
Cool video of Dan Bunz talking about 'The Stop':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkyg_1eeOT4

Thanks for the video link....so great seeing that again. Until just now didn't realize he was in on all 4 plays. But that stop....no, you NEVER forget that. Never.
As for likeness to the '81 team there is one more very significant similarity. I've commented before about the BW 2-14 , then the 6-10, and then ...Super bowl. But i forgot a very strong similarity. That 6-10 season, those 10 loses? We could have easily won them all. We missed by a little but were in each and every game right up to the end.

Sound familiar? Last yr, even without JimmyG, we had a run of 5 consecutive games where we lost by a cumulative 12 points. Something like 2.5 points /game. Ergo, we were in every single one of those games and were in a position to win them...but just barely lost. Just exactly like those 10 losses in BW's 2nd yr. And it was Kyle's 2nd yr when that happened. Kyle's and Bill's first yr record was 2-14. They almost had the same record yr 2.

The more you think about it the more this yr is shaping up like the '81 yr....BW's 3rd yr also

The really stunning thing, tho, is the cerebral similarity of BW to Kyle. Coach Walsh had coached every position by the time he became a HC and as such, knew the game and positions like the back of his hand. But the way he schemed plays was a real novelty in the game and it made him unique.

It was still rough and tumble, but now with a guy who could draw up plays to make guys open, or big running holes open by knowing if he did "X" then the D responded with "Y" so he would then scheme "Z" . It was a whole new, completely different game of football.

And it was fascinating...kinda like what we have seen from kyle the first 5 games where he for the 1st time has real talent across his entire O...and like BW, has a D to match.
Share 49ersWebzone