There are 159 users in the forums

how does this 2019 team stack up against the 1981 49ers so far?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Was thinking about this today. Both teams brought on unproven masterminds at the HC position that had two horrible first seasons before finally seeing some success. So can any of you older fans draw some comparisons? Or am I getting too excited?
First you have to find some one old enough (like me) who even saw the 1981 49er team play to discuss it.

There will never be another 1981. That year changed everything for this franchise. Its like losing your virginity, only once.
[ Edited by Curlin on Oct 14, 2019 at 8:42 PM ]
I was born in 1988... rip the classics for me
Originally posted by Curlin:
First you have to find some one old enough (like me) who even saw the 1981 49er team play to discuss it.

There will never be another 1981. That year changed everything for this franchise. Its like losing your virginity, only once.

you're exactly the type of person I was asking!!!

pretty jealous though bro. I spent so much of my high school years(Nolan era) just analyzing those teams on YouTube.
Originally posted by Curlin:

I second this!!! That team was epic. Epic draft , epic results. Solid.
Drafting Lott, then Wright. Grabbing Carlton Williamson too. Walsh solidifying the secondary in that draft.
I think the 86 draft was a tad better though
Man that 81 team though was fantastic. That Linebacker core too was fkn amazing. Had Bunz, Reynolds & Turner. Up front Board led the way. Seriously that draft landed us 3 starters in that secondary and was the final pieces there to go with Hicks who was balling.
Good times
[ Edited by wailers15 on Oct 14, 2019 at 9:53 PM ]
The '81 team was driven by a great short passing game offense and a good defense. That team's defense was lead by an aggressive ball hawking secondary that took the ball away from opposing offense. Montana, Clark, and Solomon were the stars on offense. Lott, Wright, and Williamson were the stars on defense. At least that's how I remembered it.

This year's team is driven by a dominating defensive front 6 and a fast offense with great scheme.

The two teams won very differently but both teams are similar in they are both young and innovative. The future seems to be in good hands of Lynch and Shanny.
Two entirely different teams and Offensive styles too.
That 81 D line was legit as was the LB core but this D line is crazy good.

Can't compare though as the generations are so different now plus the season has yet to concluded If I did I'd grade the teams like this:

QB: 81

RB: Now

WR/TE: Close nod to 81. man a close one here, but Freddie and Dwight was about it and I don't recall Charlie Young doing much. Kittle is a freak. Dwight was a pro bowler that year too but Freddie lead the WR's in td's. We had 2 stout WR's were as this year still trying to figure that out.

OL: Tie: with staley and grinch out that hurts but the two youngsters have played admirably. 81 we had Cross and Fahnhorst as the only two big names I can recall

DL: Now
LB: 81
Secondary: 81 : Hicks was fkn sick and then Walsh drafted Lott, Wright and Williamson to go with him to solidify that secondary. Damn they were mean and good.

HC: both wizards at their respective times
Well...I'm old so I remember that season well. Here are a few points about that team and how it compares to the current one...

First, it was Joe Montana's first full year as a starter so he had absorbed the Walsh offense by then. In terms of games, this is Jimmy G's first full year as a starter..
Second, in addition to the 4 rookies in the secondary mentioned by others, it was the early season addition of DE Fred Dean that really made that defense great. He was such an unstoppable pass rusher that the team just took off after they acquired him. The current team has clearly been vastly improved by the additions of Bosa and Ford.
Third, the '81 team had an early season signature win which set the tone for the season (a home game rout of Dallas and later, a win on the road in Pittsburgh). The current team just had its signature win..in LA.
Fourth, the "81 team, unlike the current one, did not have a strong running game during the regular season. Ricky Patton was the leading rusher with just 543 yards. In contrast, both D Clark and F Solomon had over 900 yards each (Clark had over 1,100). So, that '81 team was a passing team and the current team is a running team.
Fifth, the '81 team finished 2nd in the league in total defense that year. The current team is also 2nd.
Sixth, the '81 team, like the current team, was very young and still improving. That team lost 2 of its first 3 games and then won 7 straight. This team has won its first 5. Both teams showed steady improvement during the season.
Seventh, the '81 team, even though it won the Super Bowl, was not a "complete team" at that point. In other words, there was still room for improvement and they had a lot of young players who were only going to get better It is yet to be seen what the current team will look like at the end of the season but one could make the case that this team has not reached its peak yet either.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head....

Cheers!
[ Edited by longterm9erfan on Oct 14, 2019 at 11:51 PM ]
Now someone create a thread and see how the 2019 team would fare against the 2004 team.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Now someone create a thread and see how the 2019 team would fare against the 2004 team.

Hey, even Ken Dorsey could win games with this defense, and rookie Andy Lee was brilliant.

Like this.....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
81 was so much fun. aside from hacksaw. a bunch of young kids who did not know any better! i loved delvin williams but the best thing we did was trade him for soloman
I'm one of the lucky old timers who had season tickets in '81.

The key factor that year was that we improved every week and found different ways to win.

Our improved pass rush with the addition of Freddie Dean changed the dynamics in a massive way.

Week after week we kept winning, and by the end of the regular season we were the best team in the conference.

My advice to fans: Slow down. Take it one week at a time. The main thing is, enjoy.
[ Edited by OldMort49 on Oct 15, 2019 at 7:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Sourball:
Like this.....

But...no way Dennis Erickson smashes Shanny
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Well...I'm old so I remember that season well. Here are a few points about that team and how it compares to the current one...

First, it was Joe Montana's first full year as a starter so he had absorbed the Walsh offense by then. In terms of games, this is Jimmy G's first full year as a starter..
Second, in addition to the 4 rookies in the secondary mentioned by others, it was the early season addition of DE Fred Dean that really made that defense great. He was such an unstoppable pass rusher that the team just took off after they acquired him. The current team has clearly been vastly improved by the additions of Bosa and Ford.
Third, the '81 team had an early season signature win which set the tone for the season (a home game rout of Dallas and later, a win on the road in Pittsburgh). The current team just had its signature win..in LA.
Fourth, the "81 team, unlike the current one, did not have a strong running game during the regular season. Ricky Patton was the leading rusher with just 543 yards. In contrast, both D Clark and F Solomon had over 900 yards each (Clark had over 1,100). So, that '81 team was a passing team and the current team is a running team.
Fifth, the '81 team finished 2nd in the league in total defense that year. The current team is also 2nd.
Sixth, the '81 team, like the current team, was very young and still improving. That team lost 2 of its first 3 games and then won 7 straight. This team has won its first 5. Both teams showed steady improvement during the season.
Seventh, the '81 team, even though it won the Super Bowl, was not a "complete team" at that point. In other words, there was still room for improvement and they had a lot of young players who were only going to get better It is yet to be seen what the current team will look like at the end of the season but one could make the case that this team has not reached its peak yet either.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head....

Cheers!

I agree with all your thoughts. I was there for every game in '81 and many years before and that win against Dallas in the regular season ( 45-14 ) I think told us that team might be for real. One other comparison I'd make is Randy Cross playing so many years on bad teams and not winning a SB like Staley. I know Joe went to one but we lost that game. Maybe he gets another chance.

I hope this season becomes a magic season for the sake of the younger fans. Believe us old guys when we say you will never forget this year if they somehow manage to go all the way. I remember how everyone was wondering if that '81 team was for real and kept waiting for the crash that never came. Even though we won we came back to earth a little the next year (strike year) and realized th team still needed to add some players. Still a long ways to go. Go Niners!
Share 49ersWebzone