There are 154 users in the forums

Harbaugh's 2011 49ers VERSUS Shanahan's 2019 49ers(hypothetical)Who would win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
2011 was the lockout year where Niners held Camp Alex and jumped out to a buncha wins in the first month & 1/2 over teams that were effectively having their "preseason".

Also, the NFCW was:

Arizona: another meh 8-8 season, with mediocre QB's, prob wouldn't have won as much if the rest of the NFCW weren't worse

Seattle: Year 2 of the Carroll regime, LoB was just getting started and the QB situation SUCKED (RW hadn't been drafted....yet)

Rams: Tried to implement Josh McDaniels' offense, was a disaster overall at 2-14, Spagnuolo and their GM would be fired

...so the playoffs were ripe for the Niners' taking
I love this team but it's way too early to compare this squad to one that went to 3 straight NFCCGs
I think the offense will be a lot better than what '11 was. I'll say this....if this defense performs at a level on par with the '11 squad for a whole season, we will win the title. That '11 defense was special.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jim harbaugh's niners would mollywhop these soft shanny teams. Blowout
Originally posted by Jiks:
It's been that way since Mooch. We completely lost our identity for a long while. It finally feels like 49er football again.

Harbaugh era was fun for sure. It was a unique for long time 49er fans and gave insight on what it was probably like to be a Giants or Bears fan in the '80s.....I remember reading the 49er media guide early in the 2011 season and seeing all of the impressive defensive stats of the squad, in particular the run defense going back to Singletary days.....crazy.

But as I'm sure fans of those teams would tell you, it probably sucked losing games when the defense couldn't win it for you.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Too early to tell. If this team goes 7-1 or 8-1 then compare, but not yet.

It's a LONG damn season. When you're bad you just meh every week, but when you're good each game seems like such a battle. So for me theres still alot of games and battlea before I can get a true read on the team. But it has a a lot of potential.
Originally posted by susweel:
Jim harbaugh's niners would mollywhop these soft shanny teams. Blowout

Would it be a mollywhopping so bad it would have you rooting for a mass shooting?

Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by susweel:
They are fkn idiots nobody knows s**t, hopefully the next mass shooting is at a golden one.

Jk not really, well kinda

Classy post here....wishing for a mass shooting is always cool. Should absolutely joke about that sort of s**t.
QB's: 2019
RBs: even (2019 has more depth)
FB: 2019
OL: 2011
TE: 2011 (slight edge with VD and Delanie)
WR: 2019 (due to better QB and scheme utilizing WRs better...applies to the whole O in general)

DL: 2011 (2019 has better depth, may end up better)
LBs: 2011
CBs: even (2019 might be better when healthy)
S's: 2011

K: 2019 (Gould has better range)
P: even (for now, Wishnowsky prob more skilled)
ST: 2011 (that Tony Montana squad was special)

Coaching: even (JH more motivational, KS more the tactician)
OC: n/a, but KS > Roman
DC: even (for now, Fangio inherited a great team his 1st year, Saleh is finally putting his pieces together)
GM: jury's out— Baalke built his rep on McCloughan's foundation, but squandered it quickly after 2011...Lynch's main thing is people aren't patient with his rebuild and want splash signings NOW

There were also these meetings in 2011 and 2013 (Harbaugh vs Daddy Shanahan and his OC Kyle):

[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Oct 5, 2019 at 7:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
QB's: 2019
RBs: even (2019 has more depth)
FB: 2019
OL: 2011
TE: 2011 (slight edge with VD and Delanie)
WR: 2019 (due to better QB and scheme utilizing WRs better...applies to the whole O in general)

DL: 2011 (2019 has better depth, may end up better)
LBs: 2011
CBs: even (2019 might be better when healthy)
S's: 2011

K: 2019 (Gould has better range)
P: even (for now, Wishnowsky prob more skilled)
ST: 2011 (that Tony Montana squad was special)

Coaching: even (JH more motivational, KS more the tactician)
OC: n/a, but KS > Roman
DC: even (for now, Fangio inherited a great team his 1st year, Saleh is finally putting his pieces together)
GM: jury's out— Baalke built his rep on McCloughan's foundation, but squandered it quickly after 2011...Lynch's main thing is people aren't patient with his rebuild and want splash signings NOW

There were also these meetings in 2011 and 2013 (Harbaugh vs Daddy Shanahan and his OC Kyle):

I agree with most, if not all, of the comparisons, but the DL depth here in 2019 is better, where in 2011 we had Justin Smith Ray McDonald and I forget who else, we didn't have the depth we have now back then IMO anyway.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I agree with most, if not all, of the comparisons, but the DL depth here in 2019 is better, where in 2011 we had Justin Smith Ray McDonald and I forget who else, we didn't have the depth we have now back then IMO anyway.

Yeah I did mention '19 DL depth is better...jury is still out on all the comparisons prob til this season ends and the 2019 has a full body of work to compare (with hopefully a better ending)

Edit: prob NT Sopoaga (which reminds me, we are comparing 3-4 vs 4-3)
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Oct 5, 2019 at 7:50 PM ]

Originally posted by Mankster:
2019. Afraid 2011 team would have a tough time scoring on the 2019 class.

Yea we had the easiest schedule in the NFL in 2011. Pounding weak teams with Gore was enough because our offense didn't have to score much to win.

2011 run game would get shutdown, which would stifle the offense. As good as our front 7 was in 2011, they too benefited from the cupcake schedule. I think Kyle and Jimmy would find a way to beat the weak secondary. It wouldn't be easy, but they'd score more than the 2011 offense.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Yeah I did mention '19 DL depth is better...jury is still out on all the comparisons prob til this season ends and the 2019 has a full body of work to compare (with hopefully a better ending)

Edit: prob NT Sopoaga (which reminds me, we are comparing 3-4 vs 4-3)

It's gonna be a huge feat for this year's defense to match that '11 squad. Forced 38 turnovers and really couldn't be ran on. Offensively, I think the 2019 squad beats it pretty bad. Hell for a yards perspective the 17 and 18 teams gained at least 600 more yards then the 11 team.
I have no idea yet if the 19 team beats the 11 team, haven't seen enough.
But I know for a fact Shanny would have the plays drawn to have punched it in from the 4 in 4 downs against the Ravens in the following year's SB, and that's all I care about in comparison.
Chess v Checkers.
I was never a big fan of Harbaugh. I thought he was a great motivator and we mostly played discplined but his offenses were boring. I was more of a fan of Vic Fangio and our front seven at that time. Outside of Frank Gore and sometimes Kaepernick, our offense would have been in the bottom half of the league.

Fast forward to now and I am a big fan of our front seven again but this time I love the fact that we have the best offensive mind in football and a QB with a lightning fast release with speed all over the field.
harbaugh didnt build a team and his offenses sucked

kyle will be the winner in the long run
Share 49ersWebzone