I think the Rams comparison was questionable because they're a huge outlier, but the OP's point on the Niners is pretty noteworthy. People here do not have a realistic view of the talent/depth of this roster. It's only a playoff team if literally all unknown things break our way, including some misfortune for other teams. We are not some deep, immensely talented squad that has only been held back by injuries and bad bounces of the ball.

I will reference the Rams point though to make one about the Niners, however. Someone above said those 5 Rams were all "trash." Do people realize that that's how people look at our castoffs too, and honestly at a lot of our 53-man players for that matter? We get such rose-colored glasses every summer: "We have such a deep WR core! We'll have to cut NFL talent! We can't waive X because he won't make it to the practice squad!" I'm sorry, but I do not think that there was going to be a waiver wire clamor for Bourne or Kaden Smith. Perhaps the biggest problem is that management may be wearing the same rose-colored glasses, hence our failure to upgrade or even just add more bodies in a couple of key spots.