There are 219 users in the forums

Most Touches/RB Position

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Most Touches/RB Position

• Chief
  • Veteran
Jet is the big money guy who might be the best pass catcher of the bunch, by a very small margin. Perfect "prototype" for a Shanny offense as far as measurables.

Matt is the back that looked like the best overall back of the bunch in my opinion but takes a lot of punishment. Proved a lot last year and would of been top 3 back statistically in the league if he stayed healthy. In my eye, he has it all.

Tevin is a Shanny vet, tons of talent, great pass catcher and has the speed to burn a defense if he gets the seem. Also plays bigger than the other two.
  • thl408
I think Coleman will be the RB with the most touches by the end of the season. What I hope doesn't happen is with 3 RBs, they all get a few touches here and there during the course of one game and none will be able to get into the flow of the game.
Originally posted by thl408:
I think Coleman will be the RB with the most touches by the end of the season. What I hope doesn't happen is with 3 RBs, they all get a few touches here and there during the course of one game and none will be able to get into the flow of the game.

We are gonna run the Flexbone this year ....The league will never see it coming.
  • Chief
  • Veteran

Go with the "hot hand" again?
Originally posted by Chief:

Go with the "hot hand" again?

Go with the uninjured hand
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
McKinnon gonna be hurt all season, probably not even on the team.
Breida will be hurt every other week.

I agree that it could be a problem if they rotate them too much. Like you said they could have trouble getting into the flow and it could also be a tip to the opposing team if you always bring in certain players in the same situation. You are almost telegraphing the play. If he does rotate them I hope he mixes it i up so the defense can't key on the back. Kyle is smart enough that he find ways to get the most out of his backs. Wouldn't mind seeing a full house backfield occasionally or at least a 2 back set just to keep the defense off balance. I'm not sure an NFL defense would know how to react to a full house backfield if they saw one since nobody runs it. Throw it in once or twice in a game and then shelve it for some later game.
  • thl408
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I agree that it could be a problem if they rotate them too much. Like you said they could have trouble getting into the flow and it could also be a tip to the opposing team if you always bring in certain players in the same situation. You are almost telegraphing the play. If he does rotate them I hope he mixes it i up so the defense can't key on the back. Kyle is smart enough that he find ways to get the most out of his backs. Wouldn't mind seeing a full house backfield occasionally or at least a 2 back set just to keep the defense off balance. I'm not sure an NFL defense would know how to react to a full house backfield if they saw one since nobody runs it. Throw it in once or twice in a game and then shelve it for some later game.

For example if the three RBs rotate drives, but one of the drives are a 3 and out, that RB won't play again for awhile. Or if they rotate within a drive, then each RB gets a play or two then they are out. It could be tough to get a feel for the game. I'm referring to the running game.

The thing with a full house backfield is that none of those guys are blockers in the run game, so the run game suffers when all three of those speedy guys are in at the same time.
For example if the three RBs rotate drives, but one of the drives are a 3 and out, that RB won't play again for awhile. Or if they rotate within a drive, then each RB gets a play or two then they are out. It could be tough to get a feel for the game. I'm referring to the running game.

The thing with a full house backfield is that none of those guys are blockers in the run game, so the run game suffers when all three of those speedy guys are in at the same time.

I was thinking more of a full house with Juszczyk in there to block. It would be a gimmick but I remember Walsh throwing in a crazy formation and not using it again but it was always there to be pulled out at the right time.

I think with what we saw last year when it was Breida and Morris that if one RB was struggling in a particular area(like Breida seeing when to cut back) they'd switch it up and get another guy in. Or, if they think one or two will be better matchups vs different teams, like Coleman and Jet against teams that are weaker between the tackles and Jet and Breida for those outside zones or split zones, Jet and Coleman in the passing game.

• thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

I think with what we saw last year when it was Breida and Morris that if one RB was struggling in a particular area(like Breida seeing when to cut back) they'd switch it up and get another guy in. Or, if they think one or two will be better matchups vs different teams, like Coleman and Jet against teams that are weaker between the tackles and Jet and Breida for those outside zones or split zones, Jet and Coleman in the passing game.

The bolded goes back to what CatchMaster said above. Morris and Breida are rather different types of backs in 2018 whereas Jet, Coleman, Breida seem similar, although I admit I have little clue as to what to expect from Jet. If it's a case of which two work better on a particular gameday, then the third RB might as well not suit up that day.
Coleman is a bigger pass catching threat than Breida so will edge him there.

Jet will probably start slowly as they bring him back cautiously.

So Coleman for me.
Coleman is the better of all the backs. Never was a fan of Jet so I hope it goes Tevon>Brieda>Jet as far as carries.
Coleman by a nose.

I think he'll get the most initially but it will level out as the season progresses

I was thinking more of a full house with Juszczyk in there to block. It would be a gimmick but I remember Walsh throwing in a crazy formation and not using it again but it was always there to be pulled out at the right time.

Dont forget Hurd. You could possibly include him in a full house backfield instead of Jet and he would have the versatility to take a hand off, run a route from the backfield or motion on late to a WR position and create a mismatch. With the players we have now Kyle can get really creative.
Share 49ersWebzone