Shop Find 49ers gear online

Best 49er ever-defense

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
1984 Defense coupled with the 1989 or 1994 Offense

Ooooooooo wheeee!
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Had saleh had our 2011-12 defense, it would be in best ever discussions and we would have multiple rings those years.

He would've moved willis to S Bowman to FS Justin smith to NT
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 49erminion:
Definitely that 94 team with Deion, Young, Stubbs, Jackson, Norton, Woodall, Plummer, Hanks, McDonald, Eric Davis...WOW.

Tough to beat that one. The '81 team sent 3 DB's to the pro bowl and had a young Keena Turner and Dan Bunz and Fred Dean. Some good ones back when Hardman was playing too. I think that group set the team season record for sacks.

AS MUCH as I love the 94 team w/Deion, I still believe that the 1984 team was the best one we ever had...

Heck, Dan " The Man " Marino was brought down back to earth..

That 84 secondary is arguably the best of all time. 4 pro bowlers and name another secondary that can hold dan Marino and his record shattering year to 1 td and make him look like garbage.

Speaking of Looking like garbage, that 89 defense was also arguably the best playoff defense of all time. Holding John Elway to nothing whatsoever making him look not only like a bad quarterback, but an awful one. The Bears defense was terrific except their secondary wasn't great and they had way easier opponents. Dan Marino also tore them up the year they won the sb in 85

ACTUALLY.... it was the NICKEL DEFENSE that shook Marino's world .. our base defense was actually getting torched early if you all remember that they marched down the field and scored an EZ touchdown..

Then we went to that NICKEL with Tom Holmoe and a rookie SS in Jeff Fuller.. this confused Dan The Man and since they couldn't run the ball, it lead to their DOOM !!
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 49erminion:
Definitely that 94 team with Deion, Young, Stubbs, Jackson, Norton, Woodall, Plummer, Hanks, McDonald, Eric Davis...WOW.

Tough to beat that one. The '81 team sent 3 DB's to the pro bowl and had a young Keena Turner and Dan Bunz and Fred Dean. Some good ones back when Hardman was playing too. I think that group set the team season record for sacks.

AS MUCH as I love the 94 team w/Deion, I still believe that the 1984 team was the best one we ever had...

Heck, Dan " The Man " Marino was brought down back to earth..

That 84 secondary is arguably the best of all time. 4 pro bowlers and name another secondary that can hold dan Marino and his record shattering year to 1 td and make him look like garbage.

Speaking of Looking like garbage, that 89 defense was also arguably the best playoff defense of all time. Holding John Elway to nothing whatsoever making him look not only like a bad quarterback, but an awful one. The Bears defense was terrific except their secondary wasn't great and they had way easier opponents. Dan Marino also tore them up the year they won the sb in 85

ACTUALLY.... it was the NICKEL DEFENSE that shook Marino's world .. our base defense was actually getting torched early if you all remember that they marched down the field and scored an EZ touchdown..

Then we went to that NICKEL with Tom Holmoe and a rookie SS in Jeff Fuller.. this confused Dan The Man and since they couldn't run the ball, it lead to their DOOM !!

I would argue that that was the best defensive line we ever had, maybe the best and deepest anybody ever had. Nobody ran on us.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
NOT sure if that was the best DL... we had some really good ones...

don't forget the 1987 D that got upset by the Vikings
then the team that had Kevin Greene and Alfred Williams

.. but I do feel that the 1984 team was the best set of guys who played for one another..

had not been for a referee's dumb pass interference call against the Steelers, we woulda gone 18-0 !!!
NOT sure if that was the best DL... we had some really good ones...

don't forget the 1987 D that got upset by the Vikings
then the team that had Kevin Greene and Alfred Williams

.. but I do feel that the 1984 team was the best set of guys who played for one another..

had not been for a referee's dumb pass interference call against the Steelers, we woulda gone 18-0 !!!

I'm looking for that in Bosa, Ford, Buckner, Solomon, and Armstead.
Originally posted by BlackGoat49:
Had saleh had our 2011-12 defense, it would be in best ever discussions and we would have multiple rings those years.

this guy gets it
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Who the hell do you expect me to vote for!

Dana Hall?
  • dmax
  • Veteran

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jcs:

huh?

and you people think i am nuts

Originally posted by Cutitoff:
Originally posted by jcs:

huh?

So many fish on the line.
I love them both but

Lott was All Pro at 2 positions - S & CB

So Ronnie gets the nod.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Lott>J.Smith>Willis
You are, heh heh. (j/k)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BlackGoat49:

this guy gets it

Share 49ersWebzone