LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 155 users in the forums

Too early grades for the 2019 49ers Draft Class

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Too early grades for the 2019 49ers Draft Class

D f**kin' minus

Take Bosa out N this class becomes the 2012 draft class
straight D

Bad: High risk picks. I understand that they have narrow requirements for scheme fits, but if they take risks at least create real competition instead of hoping last year's risk has got a job locked down. Otherwise, have a short list of fits, manage draft capital better, and they can take more risks.
Good: Coaches seemed to be doing the shopping. They'll get a chance to show their projects are worth it.

Most likely: I think Bosa will have a career like Justin Smith. At some point, he might have to adapt his body/game a bit to avoid the injury bug (probably caused by "over/extreme use.") But, he should be a guy that consistently finds ways to be productive.

Best case: The WRs add a dimension that consistently makes the O a top offense for the next 4 years. The day 2 picks become contributors on the 53 man roster for the next 3-4 years.

Worst case: Except the punter, all the players miss multiple games due to injury or are out of the league within 2-3 years.
[ Edited by zonkers on Apr 27, 2019 at 3:19 PM ]
C+

Punter in the 4th was terrible, LB just to play special teams was bad for 5th round especially since we traded up for him. CB made out of glass...a lot of awful picks today.

I like Deebo pick and im not too mad about Hurn.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Apr 27, 2019 at 3:16 PM ]
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
D

Without Bosa: F
  • dj43
Originally posted by crusher49er:
Lmao I love this place

• dj43
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
We have lot's of wait and see's here but it's like that in every draft. We went into it with very little ammunition to trade up and only had 6 picks. We ended up with 8 picks and likely filled our need at edge and wide receiver. We also picked up a punter that will probably be better than what we had. A lot of people on the forum thought we needed to upgrade our DB's but it's obvious that they didn't think any of the guys available when their turn came around were an upgrade. Can't fix every position in one year. When looking at each teams' picks it looked like a lot of them had average drafts. The talent was very good for about 2 rounds and dropped off fairly quickly after that. It sucks when you see a player you wish we could get only to have another team grab him first.

It is clear we needed a better performance from the secondary but the addition of Ford and Bosa is going to make the secondary a LOT better. The appropriate take is that the staff felt the current DB talent would be sufficient if the pass rush got a lot better. It has, IMO.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
B
1 (2/2): Nick Bosa, ER - Easiest pick in the draft. Maybe of all time. --- Starter
2 (4/36): Deebo Samuel, ZWR - felt we could have traded back here and gotten Dalton Risner + Samuel or a slew of other ZWR's. Not thrilled with a 5'11 ZWR who doesn't scare CB's deep but he's going to kill DB's once he gets the ball and in run blocking. Give him all the dirty, tough work. Blue collar and a really nice player. Intel from a MadDog source has him as a me-guy so beware; ShanaLynch called it "competitive nature." Probably a round too early. --- Starter
3 (3/67): Jalen Hurd, ZWR/TE - love this pick; I grouped the WR/TE's together this year in pre-draft player connections b/c with the NE influence, I figured Kyle would want to replicate a badass versatile 2-TE set for JG. Yup. And then some. But I don't like where we picked him. Probably a round or two too early for a gadget-player. --- Key role player
4 (8/110): Mitch Wishnowsky, P - horrendous value. A full round too early that non-Niner fans were having a field day with. And he's 27. And a grandpa. --- Starter
5 (10/148): Dre Greenlaw, WILL --- depth and ST potential
6 (3/176): Kaden Smith, TE --- winding back the clock, he is Celek Time 2.0 --- role player
6 (10/183): Justin Skule, T --- camp body; practice squad
6 (26/198): Tim Harris, CB --- pSPARQ guy. Depth and ST potential

Overall: 6 of the 8 have current or past injury-histories. This FO continues to struggle with value and reading the other teams needs and boards. They laser-focus in on their guy, panic and do whatever it takes to get him. And that typically means they move up and sacrifice picks (Pettis) or take players a full round+ too early. In addition, they never addressed the two biggest needs (outside ER but that was a lock pick) in offensive line (interior pass protection) nor back end coverage. And they still need a PK; they probably should have gotten Gray first since they put actual points on the board and the P later. All in the all though, teams average 2.3 starters per draft and we got 3 (Bosa, Samuel, Wishnowsky). Great job on filling the ER and WR needs. C+
Originally posted by mayo49:
B

Computer is safe?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by mayo49:
B

Computer is safe?

Yes.

Lynch needed a grand slam to keep his job and hit a solo homer with Bosa. B.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Drafted a punter in 4th round and no one else drafted a punter until late in 5th
Overdrafted
Big Fat F. Lol

Originally posted by 4ML:
Deebo .... we reached on him as well
rest of the picks were huge reaches and are meh
Not sure what they were thinking.....

49ers don't understand the VALUE part of the draft.
The draft is like trading futures in stocks. The picks are like money or stocks. Buy Low, Sell High.
The 49ers are like children with no patience. They fall in love with what they want and they MUST HAVE HIM NOW. They have no patience to wait until their player drops into the value range. Each player has a value and your total draft has a certain value. You don't fall in love with players.
You don't pick your favorite player if there is a 90% chance he will be there in the next round. Instead if possible, you trade down and take that 10% risk that you will lose your player, but you pick up much more total value because you acquired more picks.

Examples of 49ers Bad Value Bad Judgement
Reuben Foster = Lynch would have reached for him at #3 overall, fell in love, traded up,
CJ BeatHard = reach, fell in love, traded up, reached
Joe Williams = fell in love, traded up, reached
Tarvarius Moore = fell in love, traded up, over-drafted
2019 Draft = round 3, 4 and 5 were all reaches or over-drafted, and were picked a half to full round too high
Should have traded back like the Pats etc and gotten extra draft value
B for Bosa. Like Deebo and Hurd picks also. The rest was ok.
The odd thing on draft grades is people want CB or OL, so we take them one year and if they don't immediately develop they want to take more. We took plenty of safeties and CBs the last 2 years, let's see what they do with a good pass rush before we dump them.

I thought the picks were ok. Wasn't stoked about a P in the 4th but if he can help us in field position I'm fine with it.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Looks like some people voted F

Love to have a convo with them and see why

Attention wh#res
Share 49ersWebzone