LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 250 users in the forums

Too early grades for the 2019 49ers Draft Class

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Too early grades for the 2019 49ers Draft Class

Started out with an A but ended up with a C. Without Bosa you are looking at an F or D
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
D-

Bosa is all they got. We got nothing else.

This.

Long story short.
C for me. Love the first 2 picks but after that it's meh. Overall I'd give the off season an A-. We got 4 defensive starters and a playmaker on offense. If they stay healthy we should see a big improvements
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I do like Deebo though...does remind me of Q a little bit. I do think AJ Brown would have been a great fit in this offense.

But after Bosa and Deebo - Lynch shat the bed.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Bosa, easy pick-A

Samuel seems like average player not much room to get better. Should have took AJ Brown- C

Hurd project player learning position change picked too early and we needed DBs. - C

Punter big time reach in the 4th when we have much bigger needs. Will probably turn to be good but we needed DBs. - F

Greenlaw, back up Lb special teamer meh

The rest is just scrubs might sneak into the end of the roster.

Too many needs were ignored Cb, S and guard.

Overall I'll be nice and give them C- but it's closer to a D+.
[ Edited by susweel on Apr 27, 2019 at 2:48 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Bosa, easy pick-A

Samuel seems like average player not much room to get better. Should have took AJ Brown- C

Hurd project player learning position change picked too early and we needed DBs. - C

Punter big time reach in the 4th when we have much bigger needs. Will probably turn to be good but we needed DBs. - F

Greenlaw, back up Lb special teamer meh

The rest is just scrubs might sneak into the end of the roster.

Overall I'll be nice and give them C- but it's closer to a D+.

If you draft a punter in 4th round...he better be one of the GOATs.
I don't get it. I like Deebo but he is not a break away runner he will get caught from behind and he more of a slot WR which they have draft the same position the last 2 years. That was there second round pick. I guess they didn't want or think they needed any OL help. At least with Jalen Hurd they have a different kind of WR that's not already on the team. I'm not a fan of this draft I hope they all go out a prove me wrong and it turns into a great draft. However after that last two drafts not looking good. Good Luck Deebo.
I said C ... Bosa prevents it from being a D. Far too many reaches, even if they really like those players that's fine but many could have been had much, much later.

I would have liked to see us trade up a couple times with some marquee talent slipping late.
Bosa: A. Would have been an A+ if he didn't have minor (very minor) injury concerns.

Samuel: A. Perfect fit at Z.

Hurd: C-. Has a lot of upside and versatility, but it's a luxury pick.

Wishnowsky: D-. Punter.

Greenlaw: C-. Special teams and depth, might not make the final 53.

Smith: C. Celek's replacement.

Skule: C+. Swing tackle in the 6th seems about right.

Harris: B-. I like him on the PS. Not bad for pick 198.

Overall grade: B+. I put more weight on the higher picks and we nailed it with Bosa and Samuel.
Lmao I love this place

We have lot's of wait and see's here but it's like that in every draft. We went into it with very little ammunition to trade up and only had 6 picks. We ended up with 8 picks and likely filled our need at edge and wide receiver. We also picked up a punter that will probably be better than what we had. A lot of people on the forum thought we needed to upgrade our DB's but it's obvious that they didn't think any of the guys available when their turn came around were an upgrade. Can't fix every position in one year. When looking at each teams' picks it looked like a lot of them had average drafts. The talent was very good for about 2 rounds and dropped off fairly quickly after that. It sucks when you see a player you wish we could get only to have another team grab him first.
Solid B

Overweight the first 2 picks, seems slightly over drafted later but that is in the eye of the beholder, I would have grabbed a safety, lots of injury history was the biggest con.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I want to see the UDFA class before actually giving the draft a grade. Still some solid talent left at DB, OL, and EDGE.

That being said, Bosa and Samuel are A+ picks. BPA paired with fantastic schematic fits.

Hurd was a wrinkle but his size and versatility creates very interesting mismatches. It's a raw pick similar to T. Moore last year at CB/S. I want to learn more before giving him a true grade, but I'd say it's a B- for now.

The punter selection in the 4th wasn't the best value, but we do have a major hole at the position with Pinion's departure. He's more accurate than power, but he can provide some sneak playmaking ability. He's going to be doing kickoffs, punter, and holding duties on FGs - so he's not just purely a punter. Those skills alone justify a slight reach because they are all important to ensure strong ST unit performance. I'd give it a C right now, but that could easily go up if he looks good in the season.

The rest of depth picks that seem to fit what the coaching staff wants. I like the TE selection. Rounds out a nice trio of Kittle, Celek, and Smith. The corner is a cover 3 fit. And the LB is a classic WILL fit.

This draft shows that they have high confidence with Woods coming in to coach up the existing talent vs. rebuilding the secondary. It's a HUGE risk, but incremental improvement in the secondary paired with a exponential leap in pass rush, should make our unit look good on Sundays.
Originally posted by English:
B.

As in Bosa! Seriously, no draft with Bosa can be any less than a B. The people voting F are clearly just trolling for efffect.

Ditto
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
B.

As in Bosa! Seriously, no draft with Bosa can be any less than a B. The people voting F are clearly just trolling for efffect.

+1

Bosa was a no brainer though and had they gotten cute with the pick and not selected him this draft would have been a solid D.
Share 49ersWebzone