There are 241 users in the forums

Mitch Wishnowsky - Punter (Utah) is a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
For what its worth in a comparison.... the patriots just traded up for a punter. Traded up... aka more than one draft pick for a punter. A 4th is still steep but it goes to show that even the draft gurus like Hoodie are willing to spend to get the punter they want.

Ozzie Newsome has drafted 2 punters during his tenure.

Good teams can do that, not teams with swiss cheese rosters.
For what its worth in a comparison.... the patriots just traded up for a punter. Traded up... aka more than one draft pick for a punter. A 4th is still steep but it goes to show that even the draft gurus like Hoodie are willing to spend to get the punter they want.

the run on punters has started
People undervalue the punter position in the NFL significantly . A great punter Vs a poor punter can be the difference of winning or losing a lot of close games. Just 10 yards difference in the starting position of the opposing offenses can be the difference of them getting 3 points vs having to punt the ball away. from scoring a touchdown vs having to settle for a field goal. You just cant see the direct impact they have they on the scoreboard. I promise you though they can be the difference in winning vs losing a lot of games over there careers. Yes, this was high to take a punter but if he turn out to be a great punter then it was more then worth a 4th rounder I promise you.
Alright I've calmed down and I'm okay with the punter kick.

If he's a stud he's a stud. I really wanted CGJ though
Biggest complaints are that the 4th was too early. I might agree but they obviously felt there wasn't anyone else that would really help them. As some have pointed out, a good punter can be a real weapon and weapons are what we need. We drafted a pass rush weapon and two receivers. I don't mind a punter in the 4th. At least we know he will play instead of riding the bench and not contributing much. They may have heard that a couple of teams were looking at punters and didn't want to miss out.
Originally posted by susweel:

Pats just won an SB. They can afford that luxury. And Belichick still not dumb enough to use a high 4th rounder on a punter
Originally posted by okdkid:
100 total return yards on 106 punts.

But yeah... that 3rd string CB would have been dope. Because, internet. lol

Boom
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Pats just won an SB. They can afford that luxury. And Belichick still not dumb enough to use a high 4th rounder on a punter

They used a 5th and a 7th for the trade up. That is essentially 4th round value.
Less than 100 yds. returned on his last 106 punts! This guy can give us a big edge in field position, can really be a difference maker. I just don't get all the angst over spending a 4th to guarantee we get him.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Seahawks had holes last year and took a punter too. Could have filled a need elsewhere, chose a guy who could start and who could help them win field position battles.

Lmao so much this! This GM/Coach combo are clueless with the draft unless a no brainers prospect falls into their lap.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by okdkid:
100 total return yards on 106 punts.

But yeah... that 3rd string CB would have been dope. Because, internet. lol

Boom

did pettis get all those yards?
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Lmao so much this! This GM/Coach combo are clueless with the draft unless a no brainers prospect falls into their lap.

If you guys think the Patriots dont have MASSIVE holes on their roster right now.. you have not looked into their situation.
If you guys think the Patriots dont have MASSIVE holes on their roster right now.. you have not looked into their situation.

It doesn't matter. Pats could have taken a punter at 111 and they'd still justify it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garce:
Punter was a need and we got the best one in the draft and we got more picks. If he's good, it won't matter.

what exactly have we done with the rest of the picks. lol
Share 49ersWebzone