LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 397 users in the forums

Mitch Wishnowsky - Punter (Utah) is a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
I'm questioning how long some of you have been fans of this team. It wasn't THAT long ago that we as a fan base would say "ANDY LEE FOR MVP!" or something similar. Do you all forget how great having a good punter is when he pins them back? I f**king HATED pinion. He shanked so many damn kicks. 36 yard b***h kicks. WTF? but if we can get a dude that punts for us the next 10-15 years. f**k it, I'll take it. Even if it means one 4th round pick is used. Look at our history at 4th round picks. It's not pretty. So lets take a flyer on a dude that was a beast in college at his position. It's high, but I'll take it.

I hope Wishy is our new Andy Lee
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I'm questioning how long some of you have been fans of this team. It wasn't THAT long ago that we as a fan base would say "ANDY LEE FOR MVP!" or something similar. Do you all forget how great having a good punter is when he pins them back? I f**king HATED pinion. He shanked so many damn kicks. 36 yard b***h kicks. WTF? but if we can get a dude that punts for us the next 10-15 years. f**k it, I'll take it. Even if it means one 4th round pick is used. Look at our history at 4th round picks. It's not pretty. So lets take a flyer on a dude that was a beast in college at his position. It's high, but I'll take it.

Yes I do remember saying that as a joke because our offense was so bad.

Agreed, i want Andy Lee, but this just naturally triggered Bradley Pinion for me. I love eating crow when it comes to this stuff. But like a poster said earlier... from the first punt, we're going to be watching this guy's punts every single time against the back drop of being a 4th rounder.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Yes I do remember saying that as a joke because our offense was so bad.

Sure, our offense was bad. but Andy Lee was not a joke. His ability as a punter was great for us. Whether you like it or not, field position is a big part of the game. Having a player that can change the field position for your team is a big deal. We currently have no punter. Now we do. Is it ideal to pick a punter in the 4th? no. But we didn't have a 5th at the time of the pick. If he can play for us for years, I'm happy with it.

That stat that says less than 100 total return yards off of his punts in 106 total punts. f**k. that is a weapon. That stat is amazing.
Originally posted by judodono:
To be fair, it's not just WZ. But also 49ers.com, their twitter and Facebook - haven't checked Instagram though

There are the usual suspects in here that love to hate so when you see their reaction you know the opposite is true. Its very funny to observe but I know deep down they have nothing intelligent to say but still want to be heard.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

The pick is worth it to get Rich Eisen's reaction.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
To be fair, it's not just WZ. But also 49ers.com, their twitter and Facebook - haven't checked Instagram though

There are the usual suspects in here that love to hate so when you see their reaction you know the opposite is true. Its very funny to observe but I know deep down they have nothing intelligent to say but still want to be heard.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

Yup. People think their opinions on how to draft are correct. They just roll with what they perceive to be conventional wisdom.
This guy had the 5th highest punting average in ncaa history.
Probably drafted him sooner than needed, but no surprise there lol

A great punter is a luxury though and can be the difference in close games. Hopefully we have a guy for 10+ years.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Didn't this dude average like 1 return yard PER PUNT

lol insanely elite.

Imagine facing a top returner and just making him a complete non-factor the second the game starts.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
This dude's elite accuracy COMBINED with Mostert's coverage is going to force a TON of turnovers.
Originally posted by GEEK:

The pick is worth it to get Rich Eisen's reaction.

Sure, our offense was bad. but Andy Lee was not a joke. His ability as a punter was great for us. Whether you like it or not, field position is a big part of the game. Having a player that can change the field position for your team is a big deal. We currently have no punter. Now we do. Is it ideal to pick a punter in the 4th? no. But we didn't have a 5th at the time of the pick. If he can play for us for years, I'm happy with it.

That stat that says less than 100 total return yards off of his punts in 106 total punts. f**k. that is a weapon. That stat is amazing.

This. Completely agree - great post!
Agreed, i want Andy Lee, but this just naturally triggered Bradley Pinion for me. I love eating crow when it comes to this stuff. But like a poster said earlier... from the first punt, we're going to be watching this guy's punts every single time against the back drop of being a 4th rounder.
Well, if that's the lens through which you choose to watch the game, then so be it. Matt Breida was an UDFA who ended up being a starter with pretty good results. And although I will mention that from time to time in the forum in relation to some point I am making about how meaningless draft position is when looking at how many guys picked below the third round turn out to be really good pros, I can honestly say that watching him on game days, how he was acquired never enters my mind. If you watch and judge players on where they were drafted during the course of a game I find it hard to imagine how you get much enjoyment out of the process. Maybe you should find something else to do with your Sundays
Share 49ersWebzone