LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Does Dante Pettis have the talent and potential to be a #1 WR for this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by okdkid:
You can laugh all you want. It makes no sense for a 49er fan to want a player we invested a lot in to fail. .

Agreed. The worst case for a wrong negative take is..."damn, we got another good player"

I dont know why anyone who thinks one of our players sucks would want to be proven right rather than proven wrong. I hope Solomon Thomas is the next Aaron Donald and all of my past posts look foolish. That would be the best case for everyone.

How do you explain the several posters who are like ghosts when polarizing players (Pettis, Thomas, Garoppolo, etc.) play well and/or the team wins, but then they show up spewing negativity and "I told you so's" when those same players struggle and/or the team loses?

Edit: For the record, I'm talking about the posts themselves, not the posters. There are very few (if any now that KittleSkittle is gone) that are 100% negative all the time.
[ Edited by Furlow on Dec 6, 2019 at 2:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Furlow:
I say yes. Excellent route running, elite separation, exceptional hands. He high points the ball and plucks it at the last instant, not giving the defender a chance to make a play. Great ability at making defenders miss once he has the ball, and his stiff-arm is mean. Of course the question is his durability and health, but I think with how the rules are changing, he's the perfect WR, especially in Shanahan's system.

Discuss.

No we could have got Chark or Sutton (if we were gonna trade up thats who we should have gotten, he was taken 4 spots before Pettis.) Or hell even Michael Gallup at least hes tough and can make contested catches. Deebo was a good pick thouh he just has to work on catching the ball but hes gonna be a work horse for us. Dante can be a decent slot or WR3 but he aint no number 1.
[ Edited by 24karat49er on Dec 6, 2019 at 3:31 PM ]
You can laugh all you want. It makes no sense for a 49er fan to want a player we invested a lot in to fail. .

Agreed. The worst case for a wrong negative take is..."damn, we got another good player"

I dont know why anyone who thinks one of our players sucks would want to be proven right rather than proven wrong. I hope Solomon Thomas is the next Aaron Donald and all of my past posts look foolish. That would be the best case for everyone.

How do you explain the several posters who are like ghosts when polarizing players (Pettis, Thomas, Garoppolo, etc.) play well and/or the team wins, but then they show up spewing negativity and "I told you so's" when those same players struggle and/or the team loses?

Edit: For the record, I'm talking about the posts themselves, not the posters. There are very few (if any now that KittleSkittle is gone) that are 100% negative all the time.

ooooh....thaaaats where all the negativity went. I was wondering why things got more optimistic around here.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by OC49erLuVeR:
Definitely has the talent. Came from a great family (know them personally), was great in HS and college. He showed it playing with Mullens last year. Question is "why is he not the same this year?" What's the difference? Sophomore slump? Injury? Chemistry with Jimmy El Guapo?

Dante has the skills and talent, but needs to perform under pressure consistently. I always tell my girls who are competitive in sports "Hustle beats talent when talent doesn't hustle."

You are a better dad then me. i told my daughters you have one favorite team in the niners and then you hate everyone else. also told em to take advantage of every opportunity you may be given,. i think pettis missed that memo

My daughter once asked, "What happens if I decide to root for the Steelers?"
Me: "You get kicked out of the house"
Her: "No seriously dad"
Me: "You get kicked out of the house"
Originally posted by cciowa:
You are a better dad then me. i told my daughters you have one favorite team in the niners and then you hate everyone else. also told em to take advantage of every opportunity you may be given,. i think pettis missed that memo

Haha. Well they are both Niner fans of course and Laker Fans (I was born in LA but SF is a 2nd home)

Would kick them out if they were Seahawk and Clipper Fans.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners_D:

ooooh....thaaaats where all the negativity went. I was wondering why things got more optimistic around here.

Isnt it just wonderful. He was never positive about anything. Even if it sound positive there was a sting in the tail of the post. He was passive aggressive on steroids. I think somehow it was a fake identity for a more regular member on here though. I do have my suspicions given the writing style lol.

Anyway it is going to be much more pleasant heading into each game and the play offs now.

49ers are going to Win against the Saints and I am going to enjoy it.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I'm going to chalk up this season to a sophomore slump, similar to Witherspoon. I'm not ready to give up on him. Dude can get open, He has to work on hitting his spot on time. Going to take dedication. We will see.

Why is this thread eleven pages long? The answer is no
[ Edited by Polkadots on Dec 6, 2019 at 5:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Polkadots:

I think the answer to this question is absolutely still yes.

The question could just as easily be "Does Dante Pettis have the potential to be a bust for this team" and that would also be yes, even with a slightly higher probability at this stage.

Players have different curves, I mean look at Devante Parker, looks like a stud finally in year 5.

Dante has been hugely disappointing, but his story is not written yet.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Dec 6, 2019 at 5:54 PM ]

All of these guys have the talent. Question is if they can sustain that talent at the pro level. I went to HS with Toby Bailey and Danny Farmer. Both UCLA guys. Studs in HS and College but not so much in the pros. Danny was a good friend and was a stud at everything. Basketball, football, volleyball, everything. Super stud and talented. Broke records at UCLA like Pettis did at UW.

They all have the "potential" but performing consistently at a pro level is another story. I think it's 11 pages long because Niner Nation wants him to do well. Question is if Dante wants it

Pettis should get ripped and work on his explosiveness and yes change his focus/attitude...then oh boy look out!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Man i hope pettis becomes the next jerry rice. I want to be proven wrong on players that I'm critical of.

Because the regular Pettis thread got closed. I can't say why without ripping some posters. The post number in this thread has nearly doubled today.

On topic, Pettis could be a number 1, but I seriously doubt it ever happens.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

Man i hope pettis becomes the next jerry rice. I want to be proven wrong on players that I'm critical of.

You, I agree. You still didn't answer my question though.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If he starts playing with dogs...maybe
Share 49ersWebzone